Accident stats fast food delivery - Nsar
Does anyone know where I might be able to find stats about accidents involving pizza delivery drivers? Also any figures for number of uninsured/unroadworthy vehicles used by these guys.

Can't say why I need this right now, but it's all bona fide and doesn't involve any current or impending legal action.

Fingers crossed.

Accident stats fast food delivery - horatio
I'd say any driver that uses his own car (as many do because the job positions are advertised that way) will have "no insurance" unless they have commercial insurance for the job description. Now how many do you think bother to take out commercial insurance?

And how many do you think have been stopped by plod for the purpose of checking? (none I suspect).

As to records involving them, because none of them are specifically covered by commercial insurance no figures will exist, except where the vehicle or moped was owned and insured by the retailer. And those figures will be held by insurance companies who cover them.

Accident stats fast food delivery - Hamsafar
I doubt any declare the fact. Who's going to search their car for a Pizza after any accident?
It's pretty much casual work.
I think even pizzahut have done away with their scooter fleets, can't remember the last time I saw one!
Accident stats fast food delivery - component part
Does anyone know where I might be able to find stats
about accidents involving pizza delivery drivers?

You're retraining as a pizza delivery boy?
Accident stats fast food delivery - Lud
>>
You're retraining as a pizza delivery boy?

Retraining or debraining?

Amazing what good acceleration those mopeds have up to about 20 though.
Accident stats fast food delivery - Mookfish
Apparently Domino's have comercial insurance for their employees who drive their own cars on delivery's.

As for the rest of the company's, espescially the small independants, who can say. Some of them I doubt have commercial cover, or any insurance for that matter.
Accident stats fast food delivery - TheGrocer
As an ex Pizza Hut manager all owner drivers (own their own car and use it to deliver Pizzas) have to show their MOT, Insurance (insurance must show the will be used for business clause) and Tax disc before they start working for the company. The information is then held on file and must be updated at point of expiry. All owner drivers are paid a small premium for wear and tear of the car on their basic salary and a waiver form is signed to acknowledge all of the legal paperwork is bona fide and the car is roadworthy. The legal responsibilty then rests with the owner driver should any accident occur.

The Pizza Mopeds have proven to be too dangerous and expensive to maintain hence drivers who own and maintain their own vehicles are a cheaper and safer bet for the Pizza companies. The 30 minute guarantee (if its not delivered in 30 minutes its free) has also been removed as it has caused drivers to exceed the speedlimit and drive dangerously so as not to be late at the point of delivery.

Pizza companies are very sensitive to the safey of their drivers.Most Pizza companies are Franchises run by independant business people & the local execution of corporate guidelines on safety and legal compliance are allways dependant on the ability/focus of the local franchise operator.

In my area (Kent - A small suberb of Poland) Dominoes drivers tend to be Polish, Polite and very effecient.
--
\"Eagles may fly in formation but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines\"
Accident stats fast food delivery - Nsar
Grocer thank you for that info. Do you know why it is that some of the bigger chains ask their drivers to buy the pizza from them and then the driver sells it to the customer?

Accident stats fast food delivery - rtj70
"Do you know why it is that some of the bigger chains ask their drivers to buy the pizza from them and then the driver sells it to the customer?"

I was about to post that some (many?) food delivery places sell the food to the driver and they sell onto the customer. Assume it is to remove responsibility from the company and might allow the driver to plead the food was for themselves in an accident. Have no evidence mind.
Accident stats fast food delivery - AR-CoolC
I would think it is more to do with stopping money from getting "lost" between the customers and the take away place.
Accident stats fast food delivery - Oweng561
Right i know this forum is very old i'm really hoping you still use your account. This isn't spam please reply. I currently am still employed in pizza hut neath as a moped delivery driver! I've had 2 accidents, my first wasn't my fault and my employer told me that they will sort my claim for me directly through CAA i believe?? if thats correct i'm not sure! so i get full compensation. They still havent got back to me. The second accident i had on the bike, i came to a roundabout and the bike gave from under me i was going at no great speed at all, no drains or anything the conditions were wet. i can't remember what happened after that but i woke on the floor with people around me who witnessed it. And as it is i was only released from hospital last thursday for head trauma and i can no longer talk and my walking is very unstable. I was in hospital for 2 weeks. as an ex manager you know the protocol. I managed to ring the store as at the time i was dazed and feeling sick but i could still function, i got told he would be there very soon (the store was only about a 5 minute drive away) the first thing he said on the phone was have the deliveries been made, not how am i or anything. 30 minutes later he never showed!! so i rang again got put on hold for 6 minutes and the receptionist told my manager i couldn't come back by myself as i'm in no fit state to! he told her "he can f***ing walk back, i'm too busy" so i had to walk back well stumble back the witness helped me walk the bike back to the shop. I never got seen by first aid and i tried to tell my managers what had happened they were both "too busy" i then got asked to go back out on a delivery, with the same bike that i had my accident on. where do i stand? I got sent home at the end of my shift so around 40 minutes i stayed in the shop on pot wash. i called my brother to tell him that i had an accident and at that point i couldn't focus and my situation dramticallly went down hill from there. Please help me. If you could get in contact privatly with my email address that would be very greatful. Owenguy@btinternet.com
Accident stats fast food delivery - Avant

I'm not sure what you're expecting us to do on this forum, but your best bet is probably to go to Citizens' Advice. Unless you are dismissed unfairly (and you say you haven't been dismissed) or you believe that the bike was in a dangerous condition, I can't see what sort of a claim you are making.

Accident stats fast food delivery - Bromptonaut

More or less what Avant says, but to expand a bit...

You need to work out in your own way (a) what the problem really is and (b) what you need or want in order to put it right.

Are/were you an employee and are you still on payroll? Alterntively was there some sort of agency or self employment set up?

Are you getting Statutory Sick Pay www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/overview ? If not can you claim Employment Support Allowance based on either your NI contribution record or lack of other income?

CAB will be able to help you with that www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ (make sure you select your location as Wales at outset - though I don't think it makes much difference.

In terms of rights vis a vis your employer what, other than lack of care on the day, are you after?

ACAS helpline 0300 123 1100 would be another source of help (and one to which CAB might signpost you).

Edited by Bromptonaut on 28/11/2015 at 09:36

Accident stats fast food delivery - Wackyracer

I would have thought that if your injuries were that bad, an ambulance should have been called to the scene of the accident.

Accident stats fast food delivery - Bromptonaut

I would have thought that if your injuries were that bad, an ambulance should have been called to the scene of the accident.

It almost certainly should but when the casualty says he's OK and appears to be 'walking wounded' it can be difficult to insist. Adrenaline is a strong drug. Had a pedal bike accident c2012 where I picked myself up and walked back to my car using the (folding) bike as a crutch. Only phoned the family 'cos I couldn't lower myself into my car.

Wife/daughter insisted on taking me to casualty, who themselves treated me as minor injury - queued behing a girl who'd ripped off a finger nail!.

Turned out when I finally got to the 'precautionary' x-ray I'd broken the neck of my left femur. Surgery for pinning, week in hospital and six weeks off work.

Accident stats fast food delivery - Smileyman

any sensible employer should have sent you to hospital for a check up, if only to ensure you do not continue to work if unfit to do so. I appreciate they may not have had surplus staff to cover you, but the propsect of the local franchise facing a legal claim will not go down well by HO or their insurer

Accident stats fast food delivery - artful dodger {P}
It always used to amaze me when you saw a moped with a box for pizza deliveries being driven on L-plates. I cannot see how a learner can do a commercial driving job. May be this was why you do not see many mopeds now.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Accident stats fast food delivery - Lud
May be this was why you do not see many mopeds
now.

Still plenty round here. But not so many with L plates. Have they passed their tests or just taken the plates off?

Of course other than pizza kamikazes mopeds are often driven by would-be black cab drivers doing the Knowledge. More sedately driven (practising very slow driving for when they pass the exam and can annoy punters by going very slowly by roundabout routes) and recognisable by the clipboard mounted on the handlebars.
Accident stats fast food delivery - madsfegth

Hi all, I’m doing a university project on “How the government can increase the use of Electric Vehicles in the UK” and I would like input from as many car users in the UK on a survey I have created. It has 10 questions and only takes about 2-3 minutes. Please help me doing it J

Here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PH95C7H

Thanks a lot,
Mads
p.s. If the admins think this constitutes as spam or it is in the wrong section please feel free to remove or delete this thread.