2 new tyres - on the front or rear? - MikeR
It appears that when fitting just 2 new tyres these should be put on the rear, regardless of whether the car is front or rear wheel drive.
My car has front wheel drive, and I would have thought that new tyres on the front would give better steering, better braking and aquaplane resistance in the wet, and a lower risk of a puncture (which from experience I prefer in the rear).
Can anyone confirm and/or explain this recommendation please?
Re: check previous posts on this thread! - jack
Do a search using the search button, and you will find this topic has covered here in great depth before.
Re: check previous posts on this thread! - MikeR
Thanks, Jack. Found it (evenually!)
Re: 2 new tyres - on the front or rear? - Tony
When i was young milk eggs cheese the experts said were good for you , now the experts so no these are bad for you . ask yourself? .If its front drive , fit the new tyres to the front , regardless you know it nothing else you will get the best traction.
Re: 2 new tyres - on the front or rear? - j.cronin
Front-stopping is more important than accelerating!
Re: 2 new tyres - on the front or rear? - Bono Estente
I knew someone who raced Minis on an oval track; according to him, the best way that the old Mini's rear wheels contributed to cornering was when they were sliding, so he used to pick out worn tyres for the rears.

In case that should worry anyone, you'd have to be really going some for rear tyres with minimum legal tread to do this.

See previous threads for full info.

BTW j,
Seems to me your comment would only make sense if we were talking about rear wheel drive, and Mike's post is for FWD.