Citroen BX petrol to diesel transplant - Robin beck
I have a petrol Citroen BX and have acquired a diesel engine. Has anyone out there performed this transplant and what complications should I encounter?
BX petrol to diesel transplant - Ross_D
You'll need the diesel gearbox as the petrol gearbox's ratios will be all wrong for the diesel.
BX petrol to diesel transplant - mfarrow
You'll need to buy a Haynes to wire it up properly for glowplug relay/light etc. If you currently have a tachometer that won't work. The exhaust won't hook up the same way. You need to make sure engine has all necessary ancilaries ie vacuum pump.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

--------------
Mike Farrow
BX petrol to diesel transplant - PhilW
Put your Q on one of these - I'm sure I've heard of people swapping engines before but can't remember where I read it
www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
www.citroenz.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=51377...e

Otherwise RichW or MM will have an opinion shortly!
--
Phil
BX petrol to diesel transplant - 659FBE
You must be good at gutty jobs to even contemplate this - best of luck!

The gearbox point has already been made, but anyone who could partially re-wire a vehicle and get it to work using a Haynes manual for information ought to get an award. Watch out for immobiliser foibles if it's a late engine with a shielded shutoff solenoid.

BX petrol to diesel transplant - LeePower
No shielded immobiliser shutoff solenoid on a BX, far too early for one of those.
BX petrol to diesel transplant - Robin beck
You'll need to buy a Haynes to wire it up properly
for glowplug relay/light etc. If you currently have a tachometer
that won't work. The exhaust won't hook up the same
way. You need to make sure engine has all necessary
ancilaries ie vacuum pump.
That's all I can think of at the moment.
--------------
Mike Farrow

The exhaust won't hook up the same way.
But will it hook up?

Have you seen it done?
BX petrol to diesel transplant - mfarrow
I think the manifold mating is a different shape for starters, I'd check first though.

--------------
Mike Farrow
BX petrol to diesel transplant - stuartl
Being that the newest BX must be around 17 years old surely the cost of a routine service must more or less equal it's value?

Even once the engine and 'box are in place the exhaust is surely different for the diesel, obviously the fuel tank/lines etc plus the wiring issues mentioned earlier. On a Ford it would be straightforward-ish but on a Citroen?

In the words of Woody Allen............."are you crazy?">>>>
BX petrol to diesel transplant - Collos25
Just forget it it will cost much more than than the cars worth and you will never complete it .
BX petrol to diesel transplant - Martin1981
The last BX's were made around 1994 (I saw an M-reg 1.9tzd estate a couple of years ago). As these cars are becoming rarer and rarer, finding spare parts for them is becoming increasingly difficult. It will probably prove quicker and cheaper to look for a diesel BX on ebay etc and sell the petrol one. If the diesel engine is in fine running order, wack it on ebay and someone will soon snap it up and stick it in another Citroen or Peugeot.

Martin
BX petrol to diesel transplant - Robin beck
In the words of Woody Allen............."are you crazy?"
Aye!
It just happens to be in exelent condition and I have an ever ending supply of waist cooking oil to run it on!
BX petrol to diesel transplant - Collos25
Why not look round and buy a BX diesel they must be for peanuts and you then have a never ending supply of spares as well as cooking oil.
BX petrol to diesel transplant - RichardW
It's certainly possible - one of the guys at BXclub.co.uk is running a 1.9TD Xantia engine in a 16V shell. The conversion was far from straightforward though, and if you've only got the engine, then you're going to struggle for the extra parts (glow plug controller, water hoses and rad, gearbox, driveshafts, hubs, exhaust, HP pump and piping are a few that spring to mind). Mind you, bxclub will probably be able to supply most parts - or buy a donor car on e-bay - there are plenty that are end of life for pennies.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
BX petrol to diesel transplant - PhilW
"Why not look round and buy a BX diesel they must be for peanuts and you then have a never ending supply of spares as well as cooking oil."

bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5110
tinyurl.com/299rqv

--
Phil