Daewoo Matiz doesn't like the cold - Pootle
Hi All,

A while ago I was asking for advice on a cheap small car for my fiancee - in the end she bought a '99 Matiz. Loves the car, but she complains that it lurches in low gears when crawling in traffic - and the problem goes away after the first 15 or 20 mins of her journey. It only happens when the car's been stood for a long period, e.g. overnight or left in the parking bay all day at work. Would this be because the oil in the gearbox takes time to warm up and this is the consequence? Does anyone know of any fixes for this - is this something to worry about?

Many thanks

Pootle
Daewoo Matiz doesn't like the cold - Armitage Shanks {p}
How does it behave when you or other people drive it in the same conditions? The engine should be warm after 15 to 20 minutes, is this a winter only problem ie was she getting the same problem in the summer? Manual or automatic?
It's been happening in the last month, it's not happened when it was warmer before Christmas. It's a manual gearbox and unfortunately I've not been able to take it out recently because I've not been well. My guess is that it isn't down to her driving because she notices it improve after 15-20mins. Hope this helps!
Daewoo Matiz doesn't like the cold - Pete M
I assume it has fuel injection etc. It may pay to check the water temperature sensor and the air temperature sensor for the ECU. If these are giving the wrong value, the engine may be running too lean or too rich at low temperature. Once it warms up they may be correct. In the first instance, check that all the electrical plugs and sockets around the engine appear to be correctly connected, as it's quite easy to dislodge a connector without noticing, sometimes with the effects you mention.
Thanks, for the first time in a while I've been able to drive it (this morning), and it's really noticeable. It judders through all gears for the first 10 mins, the idle isn't consistent. I've called Daewoo (sorry, Chevrolet) and the guy suggested checking the HT leads - I know where the leads are and they're all in correctly, but there's no Haynes manual for this model, and I don't know enough about distributors & rotors that the Daewoo guy suggested looking at - so hopefully it's not a huge problem and it's going into Chevrolet in a couple of days. Fingers crossed.

This has made me consider looking into doing a car maintenance evening course though, it'd be great to have a reasonable understanding of what's going on under the bonnet.
Daewoo Matiz doesn't like the cold - Dynamic Dave
I've called Daewoo (sorry, Chevrolet) and the guy suggested checking
the HT leads - I know where the leads are and they're all in correctly,

By checking, I would imagine he means checking the resistances of each lead with a multimeter; not the physical appearance and whether or not they're connected properly.