Renault 1.5 dci egr valve problem - curleyboy1
I have a 1.5 dci engine in my 05 Kangoo and have been told to change the EGR valve at 25k. This is supposed to cure the inherant fault with the turbo `blowing` on these engines. If I take this to be true (even though the car is serviced every 6k) can someone tell me whereabouts on the engine I can find it and is it an easy job to do?
The servicing is done very regularly because it is used for multiple short runs every day (upto 30!). Its now coming upto 30k and its getting me fairly worried because I dont fancy a large repair bill if it can be avoided.........Gordon.
Renault 1.5 dci egr valve problem - Screwloose
Gordon

These don't seem to suffer as much as the 1.9 which has a completely different CR system. Still worth a look though.

The EGR valve/position sensor is built into the manifolds at the back of the engine; it's best viewed from the driver's side; is held by three horizontal bolts and it has a five-wire plug on it. Just remove the bolts [usually a 10mm head if I recall] and slide the whole unit out.
Thancks for that, I will have a look in the morning. Any idea how much they are for a new one or can the original be fixed? Will it need a new gasket if I take it off? Might just do this tomorrow as long as the car will be OK for Mon Morn. Dont want to be at the dealers first thing on Monday!
Renault 1.5 dci egr valve problem - Screwloose
Gordon

Don't rely on it, but I think they're around £150. The heads come off and they coke up and stick on the 1.9 and particularly the 2.2, but never had to change one on a 1.5 for anything other than a faulty position sensor. Seeing as most seem to be driving school cars and do stellar annual mileage, maybe that's why?

Just give it a check and clean off any accumulated carbon crud. You can make the solenoid work in and out by connecting the appropriate pins [1 + 5?] across a battery. The gasket usually comes off intact; [and they still work fine without one!]
Yep! seems OK. I took it off this morning and it looks clean enough. A bit of crud duly cleaned off but nothing substantial. Will do it every 10k to make sure though. Thank you.
Renault 1.5 dci egr valve problem - Xileno {P}
There is no inherent weakness on the 1.5, changing the EGR valve is unnecessary and expensive. An occasional clean is a good idea. It will be sticuk in hard, a lage pair of water pump pliers usually budges it.
Renault 1.5 dci egr valve problem - jc2
Being stuck closed doesn't really matter;it's when it's stuck open you get problems.
Dont know if this has anything to do with the EGR valve but I can defenitley say that the engine is 100% smoother at low revs. ie. I can drive in top again at just less than 30 without the engine running rough or labouring. I could only do this until about 2 months ago but thought it was just wear and tear happening on the engine.
Renault 1.5 dci egr valve problem - Xileno {P}
Rough running on these engines is often the EGR valve sooting up. These engines can be killed by too much low speed pottering around. They need regular workouts to clear all the soot and condensation out. The french don't seem to have problems but they drive around as if their backsides are on fire.
Renault 1.5 dci egr valve problem - RichardW
"but they drive around as if their backsides are on fire."

Is that why I don't have much trouble with my French motors either??

3rd gear is for 30 mph, not 5th - the engine (and your wallet) will thank you for it.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....