Brake fluid - Carl 2
I would like to change the brake fluid on my wifes Saxo. I have read that these cars come with synthetic brake fluid (1999). Is there any way I can tell what type of fluid is in the master cylinder so that I can replace it with the same type of fluid. I am allergic to main dealers.
Re: Brake fluid - Brian
Either look in the handbook or ring the dealers and ask them what the fluid should be.
Then buy the appropriate fluid at your local spares shop.
If you are changing the whole fluid it does not matter what is in there now. It is what is meant to be in that is critical.
Re: Brake fluid - Carl 2
The handbook says synthetic. Haynes manual recommend Duckhams Universal Brake & Clutch Fluid. I would like to know if Duckhams product is synthetic. I did not think it was but then I am usually wrong .
Re: Brake fluid - Alfred
Forgive my ignorance but synthetic as opposed to what?
Re: Brake fluid - John Davis
Standard brake fluid is mineral oil based and has a tendency to attract moisture, ie, it is hygroscopic. This is why it is recommended that the fluid is changed at certain intervals because, after a time, the water content will be high, will boil at the caliper cylinder, and, eventually the brakes will have water vapour within the system, allowing the brake pedal to become spongy.
I had thought that synthetic fluid overcame this problem and, if the fluid IS synthetic, does it need changing ?
Re: Brake fluid - j.cronin
Yes-moisture still gets into the system-vent in master cylinder etc. and unlike hygroscopic std. fluid it forms little globules which are even more dangerous in the system-both should be changed regularly.
Re: Brake fluid - Ian Cook
Alfred wrote:
>
> Forgive my ignorance but synthetic as opposed to what?

Some sort of ester based fluid, I think - like what brake fluid's always been. One of the problems with ordinary brake fluid is that it's hygroscopic (picks up moisture out of the atmosphere as the master cylinder breathes) and this can lead to the fluid "boiling" if the calipers get hot: = loss of brake pressure. This is why it is recommended to change the fluid every two years, and it's very important. Synthetic fluid is, apparently, non-hygroscopic.

It's important to establish the fluid type, because compatibility of the rubber seals with the fluid type is critical. I confess that I don't know if synthetic fluid is compatible with the seals fitted for standard brake fluid (and vice versa) - another backroomer will know - but (Carl2) please don't proceed with this job until you are sure of this point.

HTH

Ian
Re: Brake fluid - Alfred
I was aware of the hygroscopic properties of 'normal' brake fluid and the requirement to change it etc. However I must confess I had never heard of synthetic fluid with its non-hygroscopic properties.

It would be interesting to find out if the latter type is used in safety critical systems in, say, aircraft. - Not that car brakes are not safety critical
Re: Brake fluid - Andrew T
I always understood that all brake fluids were 'synthetic'. Weren't traditional ones something like dioctyl phthalate (high-boiling but low-viscosity) while the latest thing is a silicone fluid which does not attract moisture?
Re: Brake fluid - Robert
Call your local C dealer. Ask for a firm price to do the job. You will get the service record book stamped and the job done properly for probably a lot less than you would think.

I know that C's are expensive to maintain, but this is just fluid and about 15 mins labour - shouldn't cost more than £30 tops and will add more than that to the trade in value with the stamp in the book.

It might sound over simple, but who would you rather trust, a main C dealer who does this almost every day, or someone in Halfords to sell you the right stuff for someone else to then change.

If you ever have any brake problems there is only one route that will get you any recompense ......

IMHO

Robert
Re: Brake fluid - Pete
I don't use main dealers for service of my old(ish) car but the place where I do take it told me the brake fluid didn't need changing - they had used some device to measure the fluid's boiling point. This is, I suppose, a measure of the amount of water in it. As others have asked - why do you think you need to change it? If it is due best get it done and follow their advice about type of fluid etc. If you aren't sure why not get this boiling point check done and then you'll know for sure. I use L*x by the way, are they up there in Scotland with you?
Re: Brake fluid - Paul Richards
If you are looking for a top quality brake fluid, take a look at DOT5, which is a silicon fluid, which was developed for the U.S. Military. The manufacturer claims that it never needs changing, as it is totally non- hygroscopic, neither will it boil below 260 degrees C even after 5 years use!!
Further details are available at www.automec.co.uk/silicone_fluid.html
If you are looking for a top quality brake fluid, take a look at DOT5, which is a silicon fluid, which was developed for the U.S. Military. The manufacturer claims that it never needs changing, as it is totally non- hygroscopic, neither will it boil below 260 degrees C even after 5 years use!!
Re: Brake fluid - Carl 2
Many thanks for your replies. It is now obvious to me I had confused Silicone with Synthetic. Brains not what it used to be. Oh well just off to tamper with the brakes on the wifes car.
Re: Brake fluid - j.cronin
See my answer further up-don't believe everything you read.