1999 How do you remove the oil cap? - Blankster
Hi,

I need some help on removing an oil cap on a Ford KA2 99 reg (T). This is such a silly issue but I asked everyone I know and to no avail so far!

I am trying to top up my engine oil in my KA, but for life of me cannot remove the oil cap on top of the engine. All my friends, neighbours and my boyfriend has tried but it doesn't seem to want to come off! it has no finger grips so it doesn't look like it should screw off. It looks like it should just lift off, but I have tried levering it but this doesn't work either.

can anyone help me on this daft issue?????

While I'm here, I may as well ask another question that anyone may be able to help me on -

The central locking on my driver side doesn't work currently when unlocking the car (It works fine locking it). The lock doesn;t want to turn round when I try to turn the key, and I'm frightened I will brake the key in the lock if I force it any further, so I have to open the car using the passenger side. Someone has said it sounds like someone has tried to pick the lock and damaged it somehow. Has anyone idea how much it would approximately cost to get it fixed, or even be able to explain what the problem is?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/10/2009 at 10:13

Ford KA Oil cap - Rattle
The oil cap should simply lift off, lift it from the bottom and pull outwards, it should come off with little force but don't be scared to force it, if it breaks are replacement costs £5. The cap is very unusual in the fact it has a breather pipe attached to it.
Ford KA Oil cap - Rattle
PS Don't get me started on ford central locking/door locks, they always seem to pack up. I can't lock my drivers door from the inside at all (95 Festa)
Ford KA Oil cap - elekie&a/c doctor
The oil cap on these is just a push fit but they can become a bit stubborn if not moved for a while.Try to rotate it left to right & back again at the same time easing it upwards.As for the locking problem ,I would suspect the door key barrel is worn and requires an overhaul.Have you tried another key?As with all Fords using this type of lock this is a fairly common problem.hth
Ford KA Oil cap - DP
My Pinto engined Sierra used to suffer from this (also a push fit cap).

I found the best way was to work the top of the cap in a circular motion while pulling it upwards. You can buy a new cap for a fiver in Halfords so don't worry about wrecking it. Also, unclip the breather hose from the cap first to give you a little more movement.
Ford KA Oil cap - razor rudd
filler cap should just pull up there is no locking or screw mechanism,. regards to the door locks i had the same prob but squirted some carb cleaner and wd 40 into lock works ok! (clean carb cleaner off paintwork as it can leave a residue mark) When u open door if you turn it right to lock first ,the mech can get stiff, but if you turn it left to open only, it works fine. Having said that it could still be the barrels! good luck!
Ford KA Oil cap - lungta
I struggled with this until I realised that the yellow cap doesn't come away from the black tube. You pull out the yellow cap with an inch of the black tube. Try rotating it as a whole and then pulling.
1999 How do you remove the oil cap? - Wurzel83
You will see a black and yellow cap above a black breather box with a black tube going down into the rocker cover. There will be hoses attached to it. The whole thing pulls out and in my opinion you cant do much damage by pulling hard.

With central locking, try squirting WD40 into the key hole. I think new barrels are something like £35 plus £15 for adapting it to keys. I would imagine that it takes between 1 and 2 hours to fit.