Heater Matrix Lifespan (SEAT Toledo) - mss1tw
There's a slight possibility the dash might have to come out of my car.

If it does, is there any sense in replacing the heater matrix while it's out as this is also a dash out job.

I'm thinking it might save trouble in the future?

Car is a 2002 plate SEAT Toledo (Think VW Bora)
Heater Matrix Lifespan - 659FBE
If your car had been a PSA offering with a Valeo matrix then a change on spec. would be in order. VAG generally fit Behr matrices which last OK if the G12 coolant has been kept up to strength and not mixed with any other type. Of course, the replacement cost of a new matrix might be a deciding factor - some are surprisingly cheap from GSF and the like.

Why might the dash have to come out?

Heater Matrix Lifespan - mss1tw
A leak from an as yet unidentified source. Seats (Except the driver's) and carpet are already out.

The coolant is still original I believe and I would only ever use the correct G12 stuff. For the (reasonable) price of it, you'd have to be an idiot not to!

Do you know how long they normally last for before giving trouble, 659?
Heater Matrix Lifespan - Aprilia
I think you will find this is a Valeo matrix - VAG have used them for some time and they are a bit variable in quality. I have changed two on post-2000 VAG cars.
On the Toledo its actually not too bad of a job - reckon on about 3 hours if you have everything to hand. An Audi A4 took nearly a whole day (but then its not a 'mass market' car is it - LOL!).
Probably down to manufacturing defect - but that's academic now its out of warranty. Matrix can last many years (10+).
Heater Matrix Lifespan - Quinny100
Are you sure its coming from behind the dash? I know the Leon has frequent issues with leaking from the door seals, not sure if the Toledo is similarly afflicted. Replacing the seals fixes it initially, but some owners have had it recur.
Heater Matrix Lifespan - Aprilia
I'm a bit confused now. Is it leaking or not? Don't replace a non-leaking matrix! If you have a leak then 'feel' and smell the liquid. If its a bit greasy with a distinctive smell then its AF.
Heater Matrix Lifespan - mss1tw
I'm a bit confused now. Is it leaking or not?

No. But if I take the dash out, I want it to be the first and last time. ;o)
Heater Matrix Lifespan - PeterRed
My 2000 Passat had a Valeo matrix. It was a pink fluffy dice to replace - took me 3 days but I'm an amateur. It took me 1/2 a day to get the steering wheel off......

{Please don't try evading the swearfilter, or next time I might delete rather than edit - DD}