Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - Brian Tryzers
Has anyone used the current-model 1.6D Focus as a regular motorway car? I'm considering one for mostly one-up journeys because (a) I know I fit comfortably in the Focus and (b) the running costs and BIK rates look favourable. I've not driven a diesel one, though, so I'd be interested to know how other people find it, or if there's something else I should look at in that size and price range.

Thx
WdB
Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - peterb
I normally dislike diesels, but I've had one of these as a hire car and the engine was flexible and revvy - quite petrol-like, in fact.
Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - Roly93
I normally dislike diesels, but I've had one of these as
a hire car and the engine was flexible and revvy -
quite petrol-like, in fact.

Funilly enough, being a diesel driver this was the very thing I didn't like about the 1.6 diesel Focus when I had one as a hire car in France. Ok the engine was flexible, but it just didn't seem to have the diesel grunt I am used to.
Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - cheddar
I have driven this engine in a C-Max, 110 rather than 90ps, it is a good performer though the 1.8 115 albeit an older design mechanically, is as refined if not more refined, more torquey and as economical, hardly costs any more to buy either.
Thanks chaps - guess there's no substitute for trying it myself! I suppose there's a limit to the grunt you can expect from a small engine - and I'm used to a Volvo D5 - but mostly it'll have only itself and me to pull down and up the M40, and 55 mpg would be usefully better than 43. One way to find out...
Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - a900ss
If you are after 55MPG, you don;t have to make as many sacrifices as a 1.6 diesel. My BMW 320d averages over 50MPG. I drive mostly motorways, long distance at 70-75 MPH.

I am sure that most 2.0 diesel cars (not MPV's or 4WD's) will do 50 ish, and 55 if driven gently.
Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - james86
Interestingly my 2.0tdci Focus manages about 36mpg when driven at 80-90 on a long motorway run, and even doing a steady 70 won't get over about 42-43. I've never seen it get anywhere near 50. It's only done 3k miles so I'm hoping it will improve but have been quite disappointed with the economy in general. In fact it's the only thing about the car that I'm not pleased with.

I'm not sure whether this is a wider Ford diesel issue - the Renualt 1.9dci I drove before managed far better (with the same driving style) - or just something with my specific car or engine. Hopefully the 1.6tdci will do better. I can't recommend the car enough though - have had mine (Focus 2.0tdci Titanium) for just over a month and really pleased with it other than the mpg.
Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - Ed V
James, if you come down to 70 mph, you'll get the mpg up to 50. That extra 10-15 mph is very costly!
Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - boxsterboy
I have tried this same Focus 1.6 diesel in the C4 (110 bhp) - it is after all a joint Ford/PSA venture - and I found it surprisingly nippy and as others have said petrol-like. And that was having stepped out of a Merc 320CDI.

In fact I liked the C4 so much I've ordered a coupe with the EGS box which will mean exemption from the congestion charge (unless Ken changes his mind - which would be just my luck!)
Of course, I could also have the engine in a Volvo C30. Had a look at one this afternoon and it's a jewel, albeit a rather impractical one with back seats that squashed the legs of my not-quite-four-year-old behind me. Of course, there's the S40 too, which is pretty much the same from the driver's seat, but if I want a diesel-powered Volvo saloon, there's a good one sitting, and paid for, on my drive now. (And I've just discovered - thanks to SjD - that it won't need a new cambelt until 100,000 miles.)

Time for a discussion with Mrs W, I think. She writes policies for a living, so I expect she has a view on what our Future Transport Policy should look like. Thanks for in the input all round. I'll try the 1.6D in something but I think I'm tending towards keeping the S60 a little longer.
Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - a900ss
Interestingly my 2.0tdci Focus manages about 36mpg when driven at 80-90
on a long motorway run, and even doing a steady 70
won't get over about 42-43. I've never seen it get anywhere
near 50. It's only done 3k miles so I'm hoping it
will improve but have been quite disappointed with the economy in
general. In fact it's the only thing about the car that
I'm not pleased with.

James. get that car checked by a dealer!!! My 320d, even driven hard down a (private) motorway at approx 100MPH will do more than you are getting. To get into the thirties, I have to be redlining on B roads, constant acceleration and braking.

I now pay for my own diesel, hence the slow down but even when my diesel was paid for by the company, my beemer averaged approx 46 MPG and that was a combination of hard B road and 95MPH on (private) motorways.

Interestingly, now I've slowed down to 70MPH (ish), my journeys only ever take a few minutes longer than when I was 'balls-out'!!!
Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - Xileno {P}
Try a 2.0 dCi Megane. 150bhp of refined and powerful diesel with a six speed box. All in an extremely comfortable car. I've not owned a Focus but have driven many as we spend about £10000 a month on hire cars and have a rolling contract with Hertz & Avis and nearly always seem to get endless Focuses. Some aspects of the Focus are better such as the steering but I find the Megane a far more comfortable and refined car than the Focus. Or you could get the 1.5 or 1.9 if your budget is a bit tighter.
Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - scott1s
On my Primera 2.2 dCi I have yet to better 40 mpg. Sorry did once when the injector rail was diagnosed as knackered, but can't get over 35 now. Mixed driving. Pi$$ed off with it and seriously contemplating getting rid. Any - proper - views on the 166 2.0TS?
Focus 1.6D: any experiences? - dodo
Re the 2.0TDci Focus mpg - my C Max with the same engine did around 37-39 mpg for the first few thousand miles. Things improved as the miles went on and now at 22,000 miles economy is up to 45-51 mpg. Just takes time tom loosen up -and boy can it shift!