remote control door lock.Citroen - Ray Pardoe
The remote control door lock on my Citroen Xantia only operates on rare occasions. Batteries in the key fob are new,and the light flashes when used, but the door lock rarely operates. I have been told that perhaps it needs to be re-programmed. Is this something I can do myself, or is there, perhaps, another reason why it will not operate.
Re: remote control door lock.Citroen - Honest John
I have had this problem with older Citroens. The answer was to jerk the remote upwards when pressing the button and for reasons I can't explain the signal would then get through to the receiver, which used to be located above the mirror. If your car has a sunroof a possibility is that damp could have got into the receiver.

HJ
Re: remote control door lock.Citroen - David Ling
My XM had an infra-red remote control that worked fine IF I was right by the window and pointed it fairly accurately at the receiver window, but not otherwise.

David
Re: remote control door lock.Citroen - David W
HJ and David are right, to expand.

Xantia's (older in particular) are prone to this. Make sure batteries and contacts are good. Hold plip right up to drivers window glass just above door handle and pointing up to receiver in roof. Give positive push on plip button.

There is a mod ref the water ingress from the sunroof and that is to drill a small drain hole in the smoked plastic receiver dome to stop water collecting.

Circuit board contacts can go dry on the receiver and these can be spotted by a good electronics (TV/Video) guy.

My 1993 TD plip is 100% on c/locking but only 75% on the second alarm button, despite having the drain mod and the receiver cover lashed up with tape after DIY inspection. I live with it!

David
Re: remote control door lock.Citroen - Chad.R
The remote central locking on my '96 Xantia estate usually works fine even when I'm several feet away from the car or plip it from the back of the car.

However the remote fob is totally knackered - the rubber surround on the button is completely worn out (was like that when I bought the car) and the internals exposed. I phoned a Citroen dealer and they wanted £75 for a new one!

Is there anywhere else I can get a replacement fob?

Chad.R
Re: remote control door lock.Citroen - peter charnley
£75? I am now worried - just where did I put the spare key for my Xantia?

Peter
Re: remote control door lock.Citroen - Digikid
In about 1996 or 97 I purchased from my local Citroen dealer an empty replacement plip casing for my 93 Xantia. The cost then was about £7. Maybe they are still available if you ask the right question at the spares counter.
It was a matter of removing the internals from the old case and fitting them into the new case.