shaking vectra sri - cool mum
can anyone help me please,
i have a 03 plate 2.2 sri vectra which has done 38k
last week it started vibrating slightly when i was driving it , i can only describe is like riding a push bike over cobbles , but not as bad.
i have taken itto 2 garages , the first garage found no engine fault as their diagnostic machine and my car woudn't talk to each other . so they recommended that i took it to my vauxhall dealer.
my local vauxhall dealer have put my car on their macine an no engine faults have been found, and they are stuck as to what it may be.
they have mentioned that it maybe some thing to do with the "balance shaft" moving slightly out of line , or a problem with a tensioner . can anyone help , i haven't got a endless post of mony , and they have also said the only other opion would be to strip the engine . (costly exercise , we have a meeting with the manager to discuss my dreaded car)
any help / suggestions would be appreicated
shaking vectra sri - yorkiebar
Just clarify a little?

Does it shake only when it is moving or even when it is not moving but the engine is running? At traffic lights for example?

Only when its cold/hot etc?
Hi thanks for showing interest, it is more of a vibrate through the steering wheel , and pedals , but having said that we went for a test drive with the garage and i could feal it when in the back , the engine runs beautifully when not moving , the garage have mentioned the balance chain or balance shaft folwwowing a conversation with vauxhall today , but the bloke said he had never come across anything like this in 19 yrs ! the problem we have is we haven't got an endless pot of money!
shaking vectra sri - piston power
check for tyre's that are out of shape this will produce a vibration through the car & buckled wheel/s, drive shaft balance weight come off? does it do it when your NOT braking or when you do brake??
the tyres are only 4 mths old , and it does all the time whilst driving and braking.
shaking vectra sri - SpamCan61 {P}
>>the engine runs beautifully when not moving

So, does this mean that if you are stationary and rev the engine to 4000 rpm or something like that, there is still no vibration? If this is the case then I can't see how the balancer shafts are the problem, they would cause shaking even when stationary IMHO.
when it happened , i drove 1 mile home . turned the engine off , started it again 5 mins after i got home so i could give my husband the good news! , revved it hard , with no vibraton except the was a loud rattle from the back of the engine (knocking sound) for app 1 min , kept revving it then it stopped doing it, it has only happened once since that , for app 1 min, could something have come loose? (i wish i had,had your posting lat night , as the garage found nothing wrong with the balance shaft ! they are now stripping the engine down further.)
shaking vectra sri - Screwloose
cool mum

[You must be married to Daddy Cool - you know; the one with the Zafira..... No? OK... Sorry..]

Is this vibration constant, or does it come and go? Does it also do it when coasting down a hill?

Has anyone checked that the wheelnuts are tight?
yes the vibration is constant irrespective of the speed , i haven't tried coasting it , i haven't driven it for a week ! we haven't checked the wheel nuts .. but once when i had a fiesta and someone changed the wheel and didn't tighten the wheel nuts properly it was a knocking sound , not like whats happening now .
shaking vectra sri - nick
Tyres can need rebalancing after 500 miles or so, worth doing that first.
shaking vectra sri - ablandy
and it only costs about £12 to do, so thats a good starting point!
shaking vectra sri - slowdown avenue
i would guess its the steering rack, is it when you drive over rough roads, how many speed humps , pot holes are you doing in a day.
shaking vectra sri - cheddar
Tyres and rack would not vibrate when revved at a standstill.
this is going to sound daft.... but i only drive over one speed ramp in the car park at work every other day, and its never over 5 mph , the roads i tend to use the most are good quality , and i can say i haven't driven over a pot hole of kerb and thought oh my god, that was too fast.