Ford Mondeo 1.8 - davie.g
Currently drive a 2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec and am very happy with the car (apart from mpg) however as it now has 90 000 miles on the clock I think the time has come to look for a replacement. Quite a few Mondeo 1.8 Zetecs on the go for reasonable money but just wondered if engine was big enough for the size of the car and if so does mpg suffer. I do not really do enough miles now to justify a oil burner. Any thoughts welcome.

David
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - maz64
Figures from www.ford.co.uk in case you haven't already looked (5dr manuals):
(urban/ex.urban/combined max.sp 0-62 31-62)

1.8 125PS: 25.7/50.5/37.2 127 10.9 14.5 (LX, Zetec)
1.8 130PS: 28.5/49.6/39.2 129 10.6 18.9 (Ghia, Ghia X)
2.0 145PS: 25.2/48.7/36.2 134 9.9 12.7
3.0 204PS: 18.7/37.7/27.4 149 7.9 11.8

I used to know someone with a 1.8 whose other car was a TVR Cerbera, and he was quite happy with the Mondeo.

John
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - barchettaman
I *think* HJ recommends the 2.0 over the 1.8 - better performance and MPG. Others will confirm.
Regards,
Barchettaman
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Round The Bend
I've got a 1.8 Zetec which I find perfectly adequate. Averages just over 35 mpg in mixed driving since I've owned it (16 months) and will do 38 mpg+ on a motorway run.
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - frazerjp
I *think* HJ recommends the 2.0 over the 1.8 -
better performance and MPG. Others will confirm.
Regards,
Barchettaman

Explains why i purchased a Fiesta 1.4 Zetec over a 1.25, more output up the hills.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Micky
The Mk3 1.8 is gutless and 5th gear in the 5 speed box is hopelessly undergeared for motorway use, Buy the 2.0. You'll still have the rubbish mirrors, useless headlights, disintegrating rear subframe bushes, broken front suspension springs, sticky IAC valves and stupid thermostat design to contend with. But it's better than the 1.8.
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - cheddar
Buy the 2.0.
You'll still have the rubbish mirrors, useless headlights,

Both fine IMO

disintegrating rear subframe
bushes,

Can go about 100k miles, easy job to do.

>>broken front suspension springs,

Not heard of that one so not common.

>>sticky IAC valves and stupid thermostat
design

The thermostat on the 1.8 / 2.0 petrols is hard to get at if needing attention and not cheap.

>>But it's better than the 1.8.

The 1.8 is fine though the 2.0 is better, more economical, and much more gutsy.
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Marc
If you do a reasonable amount of motorway driving buy the 2.0. I used to have a 1.8 Mondeo 3 and wished I'd bought the 2.0.

In real life, at motorway speeds, the 1.8 is pretty revvy and not that economical, I'd imagine the 2.0 is a much better cruiser in this respect.

If it's just for town use I don't imagine it would matter too much.

When I bought (2002) the 2.0 commanded a £1k premium over the 1.8 at Ford dealers.
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Blue {P}
I'm suprised at some of these responses, I found the 1.8 to be quite revvy, if ran in correctly it's actually pretty quick, although if you're too gentle when running in then I agree it can be quite woeful.

You'll probably find that mpg around the town is as good if not a bit better than the Focus (frankly the 1.8 Focus is horrendous) but to be honest, if you have the chance to get a 2.0 I would still recommend it, you probably won't find the mpg any worse than the 1.8 and it is a bit more gutsy.

Blue
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Collos25
I have run an 04 1.8 lx estate to and fro from Eastern Europe for 6 months and it was extremely good ,if you want a racing car buy one .The 1.8 would cruise effortlessy at 100mph on the autobahns is reasonable quiet and averaged around 36 mpg, just changed it for a BMW 5 estate but will always recommend the Mondeo .
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Red Baron
A friend has a 1.8 Mondeo. He manages about 400 miles per tank full. Living in the foothills of the Derbyshire dales may have something to do with that mpg.

I too find the door mirrors rubbish. The drivers side leaves me with a blind spot at the 4 o'clock position.
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Micky
Greetings Cheddski!
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - davie.g
Cheers for all the info. Will mostly be town driving. I have lined up a test drive of a 2.0 for the weekend.

David