Ford Focus wheel bearing problem - Martyn
My car is a '99 Focus Estate Ghia 2.0L with 25k on the clock on a V-plate.

Following a recent trip across France, I became aware of a noise from one of the rear wheels. Suspecting a wheel bearing fault I thought I would let it develop until I could be sure which side it was coming from.

It soon became obvious where the problem was when a metallic grinding noise came the rear offside hub. The wheel bearing had broken up with 2-3mm of movement on the hub, now seemingly located mainly by the brake caliper.

As this vehicle is relatively young with moderate mileage I would be interested to know if this failure is a known problem or just a one off.

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any feedback on this subject.
Re: Ford Focus wheel bearing problem - Mike
I have heard of this problem before. One guy at a filling station told me that his focus wheel bearing had failed. The dealer said it was due to all the rain we had was it last winter? You may find a similar story in an earlier thread. No it certainly isn't a one off and I wouldn't advise you to wait again- the wheel might come flying off. The correct way to check the bearing is to jack the car up and you will probably find a lot of play in the unloaded bearing.
Kind regards mike
Re: Ford Focus wheel bearing problem - Colin W
I had the rear wheel bearings go on my 99V Focus Estate at 1 year/25K. Mechanic at the dealer said they'd had a few go all at similar age/mileage.
Re: Ford Focus wheel bearing problem - Honest John
That's enough to warrant adding to what to watch out for in car by car.

HJ