tappet noise on tdi130 - ashfield
Hope somebody can help!!
My Golf PD130 has developed what sounds like a tappet noise (hot or cold). Had recent VW service which has made it louder! Suspect fresh oil has cleaned things up.
Would an engine flush help, if so with what sort of oil as I know these engines use special PD oil?
Any help greatly appreciated before I start thinking about cylinder head removal!
tappet noise on tdi130 - milkyjoe
they say a noisy tappet is a happy tappet, try adjusting the valve clearances before you rip its head off,might save you a load of wasted effort
tappet noise on tdi130 - Dynamic Dave
try adjusting the valve clearances before you rip its head off,

I suspect it'll have hydraulic lifters fitted, in which case that would be diffcult.
tappet noise on tdi130 - Alec
There have been reports in other forums of tappets breaking up, perhaps as a result of the wrong oil being used.
I would get it checked asap, or if your handy you could pull the cam cover and have a look. for anything untoward.
On the brighter side, are you sure it's a tappet: the PDs are quite clattery from cold.
one would of thought a vw service would have made things better not worse
tappet noise on tdi130 - cheddar
Perhaps more likely a PD pump than a tappet?
tappet noise on tdi130 - Alec
Which element of :

Change the oil
kick the tyres
That'll be £150 sir

would make it better ?
tappet noise on tdi130 - 659FBE
The PD diesels all have hydraulic tappets. It's possible that one may have become disfunctional if oil of the the wrong viscosity has been used. A further cause of "tappet" noise can be wear or possibly maladjustment of the rocker gear for the unit injectors. There is an adjuster screw and locknut on the injector end of each rocker, which needs to be correctly set. Again, oil of the incorrect specification will cause problems here.

Correctly serviced, the PD diesels are very reliable - unfortunately the garage trade don't always appreciate this.

Which element of :
Change the oil
kick the tyres
That'll be £150 sir
would make it better ?

dunno me duck i do my own service