car radio/mains electricity!!!!!!!! - wbandy
Here's a strange request,
I once went to a house that had a car radio/cd player attached to the bottom of one of the units in the kitchen.....(tacky sounding i know but it did look pretty cool and worked very well)..not knowing the foggiest on wiring etc would anyone be able to let me know how they could have got this to work as 240 volts would obviously blow everything....and there are 2 "live/power" wires in a radio are there not?...any wiring genius's that have any ideas i would be greatful.
Thanks in advance...
car radio/mains electricity!!!!!!!! - NickOxford
I've got the same set-up - works very nicely!

All you need is a power supply that converts mains (240V AC) to 12V DC, and that can supply a couple of Amps of current (or more).

You can buy suitable units in electronics shops (like Maplin), or you might be able to use an old power unit from a defunct laptop, scanner etc. Just make sure that the output is 12 to 13 V, that it's DC rather than AC, and that it's rated at at least 2A (or 24W).

Connect the - wire to the radio's case, and the + wire to BOTH the radio's power lines.

Nick.
car radio/mains electricity!!!!!!!! - martint123
I've got the same in the kitchen (and garage). Handy clock, radio, cd/mp3 player. Scrapyard a reasonable source, or Aldi etc for new.
car radio/mains electricity!!!!!!!! - wbandy
Thanks for the advice...Just tried it and it works a treat....fantastic.
I actually got a new car stereo from Aldi..(the bluetooth one)..only 70quid and looks and works great with excellent quality....so i am therefore a radio/cd player up that i will now have in my kitchen.
Thanks again...Andy