Timing belt - Mazda - catalyst2
We have a Mazda Tribute 2003 2 litre, with 30 000 mls on the clock. 2 questions:

1) What sort of timing belt is it? (i.e chain or rubber belt)

2) When is the best time to have it changed in order to avoid any serious problems?

Any advice and help greatly appreciated.
Timing belt - Mazda - Scott H
The 2 litre has a belt and the 3 litre V6 a chain according to this site:

snipurl.com/182mj

The service interval is 150,000 km or just over 90,000 miles, according to this site:

snipurl.com/182mn

Rubber perishes over time so you may have to change it regardless of mileage after 5-7 yrs. I couldn't find an age interval, however.

Scott
Thanks Scott, very useful.

I'll probably go ahead with a belt change, even if it's only 4 yrs old.

Should I ask them to change the tensioner and pulleys as well, do you know if they are made of plastic on this engine?
I don't know any of the specifics of this engine, whether it has plastic or metal pulleys or if the cambelt drives things like the water pump. Normally there are cambelt kits with everything that should be replaced at the time of the change, so I guess if one of these is available it would pay to use it. Likewise, if the belt drives the water pump you might as well get that changed too.

Timing belt - Mazda - scotmech
According to ... Autodata ... The Mazda Tribute from 2001 0nwards is a 3.0 litre engine with timing chains.
Thanks scott H and scotmech for your help and suggestions.

I have called Mazda and they were very shocked that I might want to change the belt after only 30,000 miles (the book recommends 90,000 mls). I insisted and reluctantly they quoted me roundabout £220 + VAT for the change, which I thought was good from main dealer, I don't know how it compares with other makes or engines.

I asked about the pulleys, etc. and they promised to call me but didn't.

I then went onto a US Mazda forum, it appears that it is a belt and not a chain on the 2 litre. I will have that changed as a matter of course, as well, and HJ agrees on this too.

Scott H, are you saying that I should have the water pump changed too?
Hi catalyst2,

I'm slightly confused by your last post. You say you asked the garage to change the cam belt and then two paragraphs down you say you will have the cam belt changed as a matter of course as well?

My reference to the water pump was that some engines drive them from the cam belt. Since a cam belt change is often an involved and costly procedure, from a labour point of view, and you need to take the belt off to access the pump, it's cheaper to replace the water pump at the same time. The engine in question is a Ford Zetec 2 litre (derivative?), so maybe someone wiser than myself can tell you about the cambelt and water pump arrangement.

I personally wouldn't bother changing for at least another year, seeing as it's a 2003 model with such low mileage. But obviously it's your own decision and cambelts can and do fail early sometimes.

Hope this helps.
Timing belt - Mazda - DP
On the Zetec engines in the Mondeo, the water pump is driven off the auxiliary belt rather than the cambelt. I suspect the Mazda unit is the same.

Cheers
DP
Timing belt - Mazda - Aprilia
This 'Mazda' engine is essentially the old Ford 2 litre motor - pretty much exactly the same.
Water pump runs off the serpentine belt - so its not a worry.

These belts are spec'd for 10 years or 90k miles. You're wasting time and money changing in on a 2003 car with low miles. Its good to be cautious, but leave it another three years or so.
Thanks to all for your help and advice.

This Mazda Tribute GXi 2 Litre has a Ford engine? Didn't know, is that good or bad?!!!

Scott H, sorry to confuse you, I wasn't very clear, I meant to say: "I'll have the pulleys and tensioner changed as well"

It is reassuring to know that it can last another couple of years, maybe I should just ask Mazda to check the condition of the rubber belt, can you usually tell if it's likely or not to be a problem just by the look of the belt? (or do they snap irrespective of condition of belt, maybe because fragile plastic pulleys heat up after 4/5 yrs?)

Sure, you can take a look at the belt, but it won't tell you a lot unless its in really bad shape. Even an old and high-mileage belt can look good, but when you take it off and double it back on itself you see cracks at the root of the teeth.

I would stop worrying and leave it. Keep an ear open for any loud whines from the tensioner or idler pulleys, also watch for oil leaks at the front of the engine. Other than that it should be OK for a good few more years.
Thanks Aprilia.

Would you hear the whines while driving or only with bonnet up while engine's on?

Is it a reliable engine in your experience?

If it were to snap, what sort of damage would it do on that engine and what sort of cost for repairs?
Timing belt - Mazda - caesar
Oh yeh.
Get on a ford forum and read about the amount of tensioner failures before there ten year time limit.
The belts will last,the plastic tensioners dont?
Is that common then?

Any website/forum to recommend then Caesar?
These seem to be a reasonably reliable set-up. I wouldn't leave it ten years (although this is what Mazda recommend) - but certainly it should be fine until 6 years/60k - change it then if you are cautious.
You will hear bearing noise from the tensioners - you can hear it inside the car at idle.
Timing belt - Mazda - caesar
There's plenty of ford forums for you to look at if you want to know about ford timing belts and WHO DARES get near the ford rocommend 100,000/ten year change.
Many never make it but it never seems to be the belt that snaps always the tensioner fails.
My favourite used to be the ffoc but you have to pay now to enter most of the forum so i now use focusowners,but i would of thought any mondeo/ford forum would of shown people's thoughts on fords recommendations.
I bought my estate when it was six years old and it was booked it to fords for a belt kit within a week.
My view was six years is about long enough?
OK, very useful, thanks a lot to all of you for your kind help.