I Have A Question - Volume 168 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 169 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 168. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Overriding an electric gate - powercut - barchettaman
Mrs B is supposedly on her way from Leeds to Manchester Airport, but cannot exit her housing development as the power is off and the only access in or out is an electric gate at the end of the driveway, which is also off, and shut. Surely there has to be some maual override to open it from the inside? Tricky to be hugely specific about the make/model of the gate, it gets pulled open by a telescopic bar at waist height on the inside when you waft a tag near a sensor oa pad outside, that´s about all I can remember. Any advice in the next half hour much appreciated.
Cheers,
Barchettaman
Overriding an electric gate - powercut - mare
If it's a recent development, somewhere there should be either a "Health and Safety File" or "Operation and Maintenance Manual", or hopefully both! If it was compiled properly, it should have details of the gate and how to open it in an emergency - the designers should have allowed for this eventuality.

Other than that, the bars on these are normally hydraulic, trace the line back to the main cylinder and look for some sort of override.
Overriding an electric gate - powercut - barchettaman
It´s a meccanica fadini, hindi 880 spirit - there´s nothing in the handover file.
Looks like it needs a key to open a cover on the telescopic bar, to override it. Which obviously we don´t have.
Thanks,
Barchettaman
Overriding an electric gate - powercut - David Horn
Rope. Car. Tow. Assuming some sort of contractor is responsible for the gate, let them sort the mess out afterwards. After all, you needed to get out in an emergency to go to the hospital / pick up children etc.
Planning Permission Continued.... - paul45
All

once again thanks for the contributions especially bostin - I will go ahead and do what you are suggesting - I'll keep you all updated on progess.

Cheers
Recommend me a digital camera! - BobbyG
Further to PoloGirls question in a previous IHAQ which I didn't want to hijack, can anyone recommend me a digital camera? I asked this question a while back when looking at one that Aldi had for sale. I now know that my requirements are:

- Ultra compact, small enough to fit into my pocket. therefore I will make use of it more. (This is key - I currently have a Canon Powershot A20 which is too chunky for what I want).
- Must have a viewfinder as well as the LCD screen
- Must take SD cards as I already have them so don't want to be buying other cards.
- Would like movie mode (think many of them have that now)
- Pixels, prob 5m or thereabouts, after reading expert advice on here I realise that after that they become a bit redundant unless printing large pictures.
- Price under £200

I waa in Jessops today and after checking all their cameras, there were few that had the viewfinder. One that they guy recommended was the Canon Ixus Wireless at £199 (£169) on the web. Don't really need wireless so not sure how much of my money is being used up in that feature?

Anyone got any personal recommendations?
Recommend me a digital camera! - Stuartli
Another, like me, who prefers a viewfinder after decades of using such types.

This shopping website gives details of cameras with viewfinders etc which will help narrow down the potential choice:

tinyurl.com/2gu5ha

Any of the top brands will suffice but, to be honest, just picking on specifications alone is not the best way to buy a camera.

You need to be able to handle one and see how comfortable it feels, handles etc.

Jessops used to provide the means to search for digital cameras with viewfinders on its website but seems to have dropped this valuable feature.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Recommend me a digital camera! - rtj70
The excellent website www.dpreview.com (been preaching it's usefulness for more than 5 years now) allows you to compare cameras matching your requirements and optical viewfinder is one of the options.

Take a look... Only problem is it's US based so model names differ but they do include the international versions. Especially important when talking about Canon cameras.

Putting in some of your criteria:

- Optical viewfinder
- SD card
- Less than $400
- Movies
- Ultra compact

...it might only be the Ixus 60 or Ixus 800 (which has image stabiliser in the lens).

There's also the equally respected:

www.steves-digicams.com/
Recommend me a digital camera! - SpamCan61 {P}
The Canon ixus 55 sees pretty much like the ixus wireless without the wireless:-

www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd450/

Although it's an "old" model now and seems to have been superceded by the Ixus 60. Looking at the prices of the 55 and 60 on the web 169 for the wireless seems reasonable.

Like the look of that Ixus 60, its measurements are slightly smaller than the wireless but other than that, spec seems the same. But available on the net for around the £155 mark as well. Or even cheaper on ebay!

Very tempting, seems to be some good reviews as well.
By the way my four years plus old 2MP Minolta Dimage E203 is capable of producing very detailed A4 photos using an Epson R300.
Stuartli

Exactly... there is a myth that more mega pixels = better prints and that is not necessarily the case. For example:

- Sensor size important - some of these high MP cameras have tiny sensors and therefore noise and even sensitivity to light an issue. Same size sensor and only 2-3MP not such a problem.
- Camera optics - some lenses, especially the newer 3x-4x optical zoom in compacts cannot be resolving details well.... think about the lenses vs say a lense on a 6MP DSLR.... which will have the better photo. In fact kit lenses for dSLRs do not resolve as much detail as sensors capable of.

Only reason I upgraded from a 2MP compact to a 5MP was the two NiMH batteries had died and cost to replace £70 and a new camera using 4xAA NiMH better value all round.

Just before xmas got a DSLR.... have to now prove why better but it does have image stabilisation.... Rome next week on holiday so hope I get some good pics, especially at low light. Already proved indoors I can get pictures wuth no blur at low ISO and low light conditions when stabiliser on... turn it off and a total blur.
Recommend me a digital camera! - Altea Ego
Dont expect to get night shots of the Fontana di Trevi, The place is heaving in the evening - you need to go v late at night, same with the spanish steps ( which currently have scaffolding round the church at the top, making a rubbish photo)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks TVM. Not our first visit so my better half has lots of new things on the itinenary. Spanish steps and Trevi probably only being walked past on the way to somewhere else :-) Trevi fountain heaving during the day the last time we were there and I was worried about pick-pockets then and would be again.

Want to get some decent shots inside St Peters and the Pantheon this time for sure. Got shots before but only non-blurred ones on the camcorder so lets try with the new still camera this time.

rtj70

Agree. Mind you I'd love a "proper" Digital SLR comparable to my Nikon F401 body with Tamron AF 28-200mm zoom (slightly larger than a standard lens) or 41-year-old original Ashai Spotmatic with 1.8 Takumar (incredible lens)...:-)
Digital SLRs are more affordable now though and you could get a Nikon dSLR that would use your old lense(s). If the Tamron has focus motor the new Nikon d40 looks good but does not offer it's own focus pin driven by a body mounted focus motor.

My first digital camera was a 2MP Canon compact back in October 2000. It was £350! What's that in today's money? The Nikon d40 with kit lens is about £400 and sure to drop. My old camera still works but the old NiMH batteries no longer really viable sadly and so got a new one in 2004 and now a dSLR in 2006/2007.

Rob
>>My first digital camera was a 2MP Canon compact back in October 2000. It was £350!>>

Ironically that was the list price of my Minolta E203 but, by hunting around on the Net, I found it for £279.99, £249.99 and, finally, £199.99 from, IIRC, Dabs...:-)

The missus created some magnificent hanging baskets last summer - the best she has achieved to date thanks to the hot weather and my constant attention to watering the the baskets - so I took some pix of them. As I stated earlier, the detail in the resulting A4 photos is remarkable.

Incidentally, at that time, the vast majority of digital cameras, including those from most of the big Japanese brands, were rebadged Taiwanese models. In fact Taiwan produced 67 per cent of all digital cameras sold across the world around that period.
Recommend me a digital camera! - Kevin
>- Must have a viewfinder as well as the LCD screen

I am just about to buy the boss an Olympus 725-Sw to replace her old Konica D400 and the lack of a viewfinder is a major drawback (she needs glasses for reading).

It's biggest attraction is that it is waterproof to 5 metres without an external case and has two underwater colour correction modes. Most of her photos are of critters she spots while snorkelling so I'm hoping she can spot the flash of teeth without a viewfinder. At around £200 it's also more than £600 less than the cost of a underwater housing for my D-SLR.

rtj70 mentioned one thing you should think about - batteries.

Kevin...
Recommend me a digital camera! - RichardW
We've got an Ixus 400. It really takes very good pictures, the battery life is excellent, it fits easily in the pocket, it has good optics, and a host of manual features to keep any enthusiast happy - but generally you can't beat the auto mode (my only bugbear is that you can't have flash 'on' in auto for fill-in flash type photos, but that's small I guess!). I'd recommend it. My friends had one of the original Ixus cameras, and when that died when straight out and replaced it with another Ixus.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Recommend me a digital camera! - cheddar
I second the IXUS recomendations, they are very good, IIRC some of the later ones dont have a conventional viewfinder so an end of line IXUS 55 might just be ideal.
Thanks for all your input guys, looks like the Ixus 60 although I see some advertised as Canon SD600, not sure if this is the American equivalent?

Will now go into price checking mode....
Recommend me a digital camera! - SpamCan61 {P}
Thanks for all your input guys, looks like the Ixus 60
although I see some advertised as Canon SD600, not sure
if this is the American equivalent?

Yes it is, about a third of the way down this listing :-

www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
Thanks for that, its amzaing reading the reviews that some think it is excellent and some think its awful. Suppose it depends on what you are used to, looking for etc!
Touring Eire - borasport20
We are thinking of heading off to the South or West of Eire fro this years summer hols - any recommendations for places to stay and things to see ?

anyone know of any published resources that might provide a ready-made itinerary ?

t.i.a.

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Touring Eire - Stuartli
You'll find that southern Ireland offers some of the most beautiful countryside around, especially if you get off the beaten track and, of course, the wonderful Irish hospitality.

Plenty of online guides such as:

www.ireland.ie/

www.12travel.co.uk/ie/packages/self-drive/southern...l

www.summerfetes.co.uk/directory/irelandsouth/index...m

tinyurl.com/2jesmr

www.undercovertourist.com/ireland/

www.iexplore.com/world_travel/Ireland/Information

PS

It's not a cheap as it used to be, thanks to the Euro.

My best mate and his wife were going to go last September but, after discovering just how much it would cost overall, opted to go to southern Spain.

I did tell him he didn't know just what he was missing...:-)
What's for you won't pass you by
Touring Eire - tyro
Mike

Killarney is very touristy, but it is set in wonderful countryside, and I'd recommend it.

The place we stayed was absolutely excellent: www.friarsglen.ie/

The counties of Donegal and Wicklow also have a lot going for them
Touring Eire - Baskerville
It's not a cheap as it used to be, thanks to
the Euro.

It's also not a near third-world country any more, for which the Irish are very thankful. I was there last summer and though the Irish complain about the cost of things, my Irish family members are even more shocked by the price of ordinary day to day living in the UK. If you self-cater in the Republic you can do pretty well by British standards.

I can recommend the area around Bantry Bay. Wonderful coastline, castles, great countryside and plenty of good quality pubs and places to eat. For all their quaintness, in the past many "old fashioned" Irish pubs used to be really grim. Not any more.
Lundy Island - Brill {P}
Thinking of staying for a week on Lundy this Summer, just wondering if anyone has been, what the boat trip was like, etc etc...

Thanks.
Lundy Island - daveyjp
Would this be in a Landmark Trust property? We haven't been to Lundy, but have stayed in a Landmark Trust property and the best description we had for it was 'basic', which was a disappointed considering the cost.
Lundy Island - JH
B
Really? For a week? If you're not a bird watcher you'll probably go bonkers. Now, a tropical island that size I can cope with. Decisions are limited to; have another beer or have a swim? Why not have week in Devon, I prefer the North coast, and have a day trip to Lundy? Drop in on Martin.
JH
Lundy Island - Brill {P}
Well, maybe you're right. We have done the UK to death as my daughter doesn't like flying, I think she would put up with the trip to Lundy, and it would be...er...a different experience!
Lundy Island - Martin Devon
Have never been to Lundy, but I cannot imagine a week there though. May used to be a stunning month to visit North Devon, particularly the early part, but weather here can never be guaranteed. Lots of sights of course, but each to his own. We moved here from outer West London nearly twenty years ago co's of the impending gloom. Have made a pound or two and lost a bit too. Life in a way is still a Rat race, but it is a much nicer place to be a rat. Hope you visit.

Vbr.............................MD.
Lundy Island - Brill {P}
Oh hell, SWMBO has booked week in August, heaven help us all...we're doomed...doomed I tell ye.
Lundy Island - Martin Devon
Oh hell, SWMBO has booked week in August, heaven help us
all...we're doomed...doomed I tell ye.

At least yer lurning the Lingo...MD
Cloudy Lava lamp - Dulwich Estate
I've dug out a long dis-used lava lamp. It's the original style "Matmos" one shaped a little like a rocket and filled with a greeny wax substance in a clear fluid. The fluid looks cloudy in this one, and after switching it on it works pretty much as I remember with globules slowly drifting up and down in a very relaxing way. The problem is it stays cloudy. Is it sick? Has it got a bacterial infection? Or do they all go this way after a few years. More importantly does anyone know of a cure please?

I've thought about straining the fluid through some fine cloth but I'll wait to hear if anyone knows a solution to my cloudy problem.
Cloudy Lava lamp - Pugugly {P}
HGF I fear. I think its finished SWMBO fished her sout of a skip I hired last year. She couldn't get ut to work despite several attempts to cure the infection.
Cloudy Lava lamp - Xileno {P}
Eventually the wax contaminates the oil inside. They don't last forever.
Cloudy Lava lamp - billy25
some type of oils do tend to "cloud" at cool temperatures, e.g olive oil in a cool kitchen cupboard. If you have recently dug-it-out of the loft or garage it may just need a couple of days in a warm room to get back up to normal temp, when it may clear again and be perfectly o.k.

billy
Cloudy Lava lamp - Dulwich Estate
Thanks Billy25, but it's been in the warm for a couple of days now. I might try filtering it before it gets dumped. (With the greatest environmental care of course.)
Cloudy Lava lamp - Group B
I just googled "lava lamp fluid" and came up with this: www.answers.com/topic/lava-lamp

Gives a list of possible ingredients for lava lamps. eg. "...can be made with water mixed with isopropyl alcohol as one phase and mineral oil as the other."

But might be safer to dump it than to have to explain to the fire brigade, "well I put meths and used engine oil in my old Lava Lamp, and left it on while I walked to the shops...!"

;o)
Emigrating to France - Brill {P}
Dare I ask?

Can anyone please point me to a good web source with advice for emigrating to France. (I like to keep my options open!)

Working/schools/buying property...the usual problems.

I'll get my coat.
Emigrating to France - adverse camber
total france is the best imo.
www.totalfrance.com/index.html

also angloinfo for the various regions.
www.angloinfo.com/
Emigrating to France - Dulwich Estate
I would add:

www.completefrance.com

and

www.frenchentree.com
The first one should read:

completefrance/cs/forums/

Mods kindly change please.
er,

www.completefrance/cs/forums/
I give up - do a google for completefrance forum
Emigrating to France - Robbie
Herre it is.

www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/
Emigrating to France - adverse camber
www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/
Wow what a fantastic lot you are, thanks so much!
Emigrating to France - mjm
Brill, I have a close friend and his wife who emigrated to France about 5 years ago. They live in the Bordeaux area. They are both retired but have integrated well into the local community.

If you are seriously contemplating emigrating to France, post back to the forum and I will have a chat to him and, if he is willing, arrange some method(phone, email etc) for you to liase directly.

They are an extremely pleasant, practical, friendly couple and I am sure would pass on "real life" experience on moving, healthcare, etc.

Obviously I cannot just post his details without talking to him first.
Thanks, that's really decent of you, more of a whim really (have got as far as looking at property on the web which is fatal when you compare prices to SE England). I'll trawl through the web links above and see how we get on. Main stumbling block is the children's (secondary) education. Working from home I can pretty much move anywhere and upload files to publishers as I do now.
Cheers.
Chest Freezer in Garage - Marc
Evening everyone. Don't know how may regulars will remember my IHAQ thread from about a year ago regarding the use of fridge freezers in a garage. In order to refresh memories it's here :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=36...8

Well a year on and the same has happened again so I thought I would treat myself to a chest freezer for the garage. Rang up an online retailer to discuss models today (I'm in the market for a c.£120 55cm wide model) and when I metioned that I was putting it in the garage he said I couldn't do that as modern chest freezers aren't designed for outbuildings and any warranty claim would be void (misuse etc)! Frankly I was stunned at this and decided to ring the manufacturer of one of the models I was considering and they said the same! Basically they recommend use indoors.

Now as far as I am aware most people keep chest freezers in their garage so this must be the manufacturers and retailers covering their backs with regard to potential claims. I'm putting it down to one of the following :

Refrigerant gases
EU directive of some sort
Electrical hazard

Am I right or are modern chest freezers really no longer suitable for outbuildings? What do people think?

Incidentally the models I have seen are Zanussi, Lec, BEKO, Frigidaire, Kelvinator and Swan. I'm tempted to go for either the Zanussi, Lec or BEKO as the others are old skool brand names that have just been bought up IMO - happy to be proved wrong on this. Also, are BEKO (Turkish brand) any good?

As it's for use in a garages should I seek out a model with an adjustable thermostat dial. So many questions I should really visit a retailer but I don't want to get my head nipped re warranties ("What if knobs fall off?) etc.

Opinions please.

Thanks.
Chest Freezer in Garage - BobbyG
Mrc don't know answer to your question however, if it helps in any way, have you tried purchasing from sainsburys website?

I bought a washer/dryer from them last year and it was up to £100 cheaper than any other deal I could get.

Just in case it helps you with prices?
Chest Freezer in Garage - cheddar
You need a fridge freezer with seperate thermostats for the fridge and freezer sections otherwise the cold weather causes the ambient to get down to the 3 or 4 deg that the fridge requires, it then shuts off therefore so does the freezer and it thaws.

We have a Siemens fridge freezer in our garage with seperate temp control for both sections and it works fine.
Cheddar, when I did a search I saw that you mentioned this in a previous IHAQ re fridge freezers. I also had a Siemens fridge freezer in the garage (sans separate temp control) that used to defrost the freezer compartment once the cold weather hit hence the need to replace. I was loath to replace it as it was a really nicely built unit - much better than the slimline job I currently have in my (small) kitchen.

I thought that simple freezer units (whether chest or larder style) operated to a lower ambient temp than combined single compressor/thermostat fridge freezer units - but I'm now being told otherwise...
Chest Freezer in Garage - cheddar
Cheddar, when I did a search I saw that you mentioned
this in a previous IHAQ re fridge freezers. >>

Did I, I dont recall however to reiterate with seperate control over both compartment they are fine in a garage etc, we can turn the fridge up to around 8 deg in the winter so it hardly ever comes on though the freezer still maintains -25.
I thought that simple freezer units (whether chest or larder style)
operated to a lower ambient temp than combined single compressor/thermostat fridge
freezer units - but I'm now being told otherwise...

I would have though that a standalone freexer should be OK, it is only when the freezer temp is arbitariliy mainatined as a factor of the fridge temp that you have probs, i.e. when ambient drops below the required fridge temp.
Chest Freezer in Garage - L'escargot
Mrc don't know answer to your question however, if it helps
in any way, have you tried purchasing from sainsburys website?

I've recently looked at prices for a tumble dryer and it appears that the way a lot of companies can quote a lower price for white goods is not to carry any stock and for the item to be delivered direct from the manufacturer. For our chosen dryer delivery from Sainsbury's (and others) would have been over a month direct from the manufacturer compared to 4 days from Comet.
--
L\'escargot.
Chest Freezer in Garage - Round The Bend
We've used a chest freezer in our garage on and off for years. Parents have done the same. No problems to report.

We purchased a small chest freezer recently from Currys for under £100. Only snag was that they wanted nearly £20 to deliver it! The Grand Scenic proved very handy.
Chest Freezer in Garage - Vin {P}
My parents had a chest freezer in their garage for several years. However, when their first one packed up, they found that the underside had rusted almost completely away. They prevented the problem on their next one by greasing the underside before putting it out there.

Perhaps that's one of the manufacturers' reasons, namely that outside buildingd may be more damp that heated rooms indoors.

V
Chest Freezer in Garage - Waino
We bought a LEC chest freezer back in 1978 and, for the first year, kept it in a bedroom. It then spent then next 19 years in a garage until its death in 1998. Its demise was caused by the 'failure of the insulation' which I reckon was due to the deterioration of the casing as described above by Vin.

We replaced it with a 1.5m tall upright Hotpoint Mistral as we found that, with a chest freezer, we had only tended to utilise the top layer. Again, the freezer has been kept in the garage and it has 'failed' twice. First time, a couple of years ago when the door was inadvertantly left slightly ajar causing the components at the top to ice up - the cure was to take the contents round to a friends and allow 24hrs for the whole thing to defrost. Second time was last week when a pipe at the back had corroded at a weak point and allowed the gas to escape. Apparently, this is a common problem with this model and was repaired for £80.
Chest Freezer in Garage - Stuartli
Only snag was that they wanted nearly £20 to deliver it! The Grand Scenic proved very handy.>>

If Currys had met the cost of delivery as well it wouldn't have made any profit...:-)

My best mate runs an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet and delivery and installation used to be free. Now it's only on the much higher price items as profit margins have been cut.

Whether he sells one TV, appliance or whatever a week or 20, the cost of owning and maintaining a delivery vehicle is constant.

As the majority of these type of items are not products that people buy every day, every week or even every year, a modest delivery charge seems reasonable enough to be factored into your budget.
Chest Freezer in Garage - Altea Ego
Just had a new bosch fridge delivered from Currys. The fridge was not in stock from the store, but fomr the distribution warehouse, so collection not an option.

£20? Yup, but they turned up at the time and date they said, even phoning from the previous drop off to say they would be here in 5 minutes. The old fridge was dragged out and put in the garage for me, the new one unpacked and slotted under the worktop.

£20? money well spent for service like that. Specially as they knocked 10% off the purchase price to match my internet price quote.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Chest Freezer in Garage - Big Bad Dave
Get one with a lock. Seriously.

Back in the 80s, somebody broke into our next door neighbour's garage and pooped in their chest freezer.
Chest Freezer in Garage - Altea Ego
And when frozen, it looks a lot like black pudding.

Mistakes can happen!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Chest Freezer in Garage - Big Bad Dave
Liver apparently.
Round the Bend - what make/model did you buy from Currys recently? Any good? Do you keep it in your garage?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Reckon I'm going to ignore the warnings and go ahead and buy one...
Chest Freezer in Garage - local yokel
Pop it on some 4x2 so there's more ventilation underneath. Also give you a place to hide the Magnum wrappers should you decide to have one on the quiet....
Chest Freezer in Garage - daltonman
Hi,

I recently bought a freezer from Currys for use in a garage - it was a BEKO (not a chest freezer but an upright one).
It sepcifically said on the price label in the store 'suitable for use in outbuildings', so obviously some must be designed for this purpose.
Can't remember the specific model no. sorry, but it was about £130ish & available to pick up from the store.
Seems to do the job nicely!

la15
Tax on Christmas Bonus - arnold2
Having worked in the past for rather mean companies, I haven't had any substancial Xmas bonus' before. This 2006 I got a nice sum - and then found this month the tax on said deducted from salary ! 2 questions:
1. I thought given all the fuss over city bankers having large bonus' that Xmas bonus' weren't taxable ?
2. Could I instead have asked, if it is taxable, to pop the sum into my pension, therefore being tax free !
Tax on Christmas Bonus - Altea Ego
1. A bonus be it in cash or benefit in kind is always taxable.

2 dunno. As mine is paid into salary, it attracts the same pension rights as the rest of the money, ie a % goes in tax free.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Text Message Problem - billy25
afternoon all,
small problem, yesterday morning i changed mobile phone companies by changing my sim card, from < colour > to < oxygen >, since this change, phone works ok as regards calls and sending txts, but when recieving txts, i sometimes only get half a message then a *some text missing* message, most times i just get no message and the *some text missing* message
This is becoming very frustrating already!. I never had this prob with < colour >, only since i changed, is there a "fix" or anything i can do? phone model - old Nokia 3310 (yes i know! - but i love it!).

cheers in anticipation,
billy.
Text Message Problem - Dynamic Dave
Billy,

The 3310 is only capable of displaying 160 characters in a single text message. Newer mobiles can send and receive up to 3 text messages at once and can merge all three into one long message (if you see what I mean).

Only way to resolve it is to ask people not to send txt messages longer than 160 characters, or upgrade to a newer phone.
Thanks DD,
i see what you mean as regards newer phones being able to handle more data, and i wasn't aware that 160 characters was a 3310's limit, usually i txt less than an essay!.
but... i'm not sure if too many letters is the base prob, as i've never had this happen before, sample txt message from this morning:
girlfiend: "will you be in after 6pm because i *some txt missing*
me: yes, why?
girlfiend: *some txt missing*

so i decided to ring her and ask her what her last txt was, and she replied "ok i'll pop round then"
and thats only 18 characters.

maybe could it be a prob with this companies sim card in another companies phone?
(dont know if this helps, but sim is out of girlfiends old phone, she never had this prob, and i've got her old number as well)

scratching head time now!

billy
Text Message Problem - PhilDS
Could be a couple of things:

Colour change the software in their phones so for example when you get voicemail you get a message on your screen to press a button on your phone whereas oxygen call you or send you a text. My other half has put her oxygen sim card in an unlocked colour phone and it now does things a bit differently but doesn't have the same issue that you have.

There is a new breed of sim card capable of holding 200 contacts. These work on different voltages. They didn't really exist when the 3310 was out.

Might be worth picking up a newer colour branded phone. Try ebay or www.retrofone.co.uk

Text Message Problem - Another John H
Thanks DD,
i see what you mean as regards newer phones being able
to handle more data, and i wasn't aware that 160 characters
was a 3310's limit, usually i txt less than an essay!.
but... i'm not sure if too many letters is the base

I don't think 160 characters is a limit on the 3310.

SWMBO uses one, and I recently sent a rather long message from it which arrived (overseas UK roaming phone) as two separate messages.

AFAIK both are network.
Text Message Problem - Dynamic Dave
I don't think 160 characters is a limit on the 3310.

You're right, I stand corrected. I was thinking of an older phone of mine prior to the 3310.

From googling, if this does happen it's because you previously received a long txt message and as the SMS's are stored on the SIM card it can sometimes get it's knickers in a twist as the txt messages are displayed something like "linked 1 of 2" and "linked 2 of 2", rather than with newer phones one long message. If the "linked 1 of 2" is deleted before the 2nd part of the txt has arrived, then the SIM is unable to link the 2 txt messages. Apparantly deleting everything out of the inbox (or moving it to another folder) then switching off / on the phone resolves the problem.
yep, tis some sort of gremlin twixt "oxygen" sim card and old Nokia, works fine in girl fiends new phone (not nokia) and also in friends none nokia. have reverted to original "colour" sim again, so all should be well. only wanted the 300 free txts a month which i why i tried changing, as usual greed don't pay!

i'll have a look on ebay, i may be tempted to upgrade!
thanks for the info
billy
Legal tender - SjB {P}
Not so much a question as an observation; I had no idea that each demonination of British currency has a ceiling above which it is not technically legal tender: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/6293679.stm . Were other BRers aware of this fact? I can see the sense, but guess I had never had cause to think about it before.
Legal tender - Xileno {P}
"Were other BRers aware of this fact?"

Yes (remember learning it at school - one of the few things that stuck...)
Legal tender - daveyjp
Heard of this before where offenders have tried to pay fines in pennies and been refused.
Legal tender - L'escargot
According to the Royal Mint ......................

Coins are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom for the following amounts:

£5 - for any amount
£2 - for any amount
£1 - for any amount
50p - for any amount not exceeding £10
25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10
20p - for any amount not exceeding £10
10p - for any amount not exceeding £5
5p - for any amount not exceeding £5
2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

--
L\'escargot.
Update on roofing from IHAQ 167 - cheddar
To recap, the original roofers have attended to our roof on three or four occasions over 4.5 years in each case re-mortaring the ridge tiles, they recently proposed fitting a "dry ridge system" where the ridge tiles are secured from underneath and interlock so as to be water tight.

Last Tuesday the roofers advised that the scafolders would be with us this week.

Last Thursday a ridge tile landed on our conservatory!

On Monday the scaffolders attended and ruined our front lawn.

Today the roofers have fitted the dry ridge system, very logical it is too - job done, er, fingers crossed!

Tomorrow the scaffolding is due to come down, any remaining blades of grass will be trampled in to the mire!

Still need to conclude on the repairs to the conservatory yet alone the garden!

Regards.
Update on roofing from IHAQ 167 - Martin Devon
On Monday the scaffolders attended and ruined our front lawn.
Tomorrow the scaffolding is due to come down, any remaining blades
of grass will be trampled in to the mire!

Sue the Scaffolders. I use them all the time and am sick to death of their carp attitude. Just who do they think they are. If they can't make it pay then charge MORE, but just do the job properly and try to have some respect for the man with the cheque book. it ain't rocket science.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............MD
>> Tomorrow the scaffolding is due to come down, any remaining
blades
>> of grass will be trampled in to the mire!
>>
Sue the Scaffolders. >>

Learned late this PM that they cannot take it down until next Tuesday, so the scaffolding was needed for perhaps 5 or 6 hours though will be up for 8 days!
Learned late this PM that they cannot take it down until
next Tuesday, so the scaffolding was needed for perhaps 5 or
6 hours though will be up for 8 days!

That's the nature of the beast, but they'll sure treat you and more particularly your property as if it is shi.

They are to a man nothing but Pigs and I use them every week.........MD.
Update on roofing from IHAQ 167 - SjB {P}
Learned late this PM that they cannot take it down until
next Tuesday, so the scaffolding was needed for perhaps 5 or
6 hours though will be up for 8 days!

Snap, again, though in reverse this time; ours went up yesterday, but the roofers aren't expected for at least another week! Had to laugh at the cheek of the scaffolders:

(a ) they started erecting at about 08:30am without even knocking on the door first! The first we knew was when the missus heard a thump on the roof!

(b ) when I went to investigate, the opening line wasn't "good morning" or "hope you don't mind us cracking on", but "three cuppas would be good to be sure, two double sugars and one wivaat" !
"three cuppas would be good to be sure, two double sugars
and one wivaat" !

Of the three guys who attended here on Monday one asked for "two sugars and the bag left in" how did he know I was not making a pot ;-), nice enough blokes though but for the trampled lawn!
ALL Scaffolders should be Shot, Hung Drawn and Quartered and then we'll decide what to do with them. This has to happen at least once. Weekly may, just may alter their attitudes, but I am not holding my breath..........As for the lawn!

MD
Dremel tool - none
Being a bit of a tool / gadget freak, I'm thinking of buying a Dremel tool. I can see their use as a modelling tool, but has anyone used one industrially. I'm not talking angle grinder capacity, but would a Dremel cut through say an akwardly placed 8mm bolt, or a seized nut ?
How long would it take ? Does anybody use one every day - and wouldn't be without it ?

Dremel tool - daveyjp
A friend used another friend's Dremel to totally reshape his smart front panel to accommodate 20 inch rims. Took a while, but it worked and the Dremel survived.
Dremel tool - Group B
Yes a Dremel will cut through an 8mm bolt, but the cutting blades are very thin and shatter easily if you dont take it slow and steady. Trouble is the blades are small diameter so you have about max. 10mm cutting depth which quickly reduces at it wears out, with a large siezed nut you would have to hack away at it taking little bits off here and there.

I once tried to remove some brake discs but the Philips head retaining screws were siezed and I made a mess of them. So I put 2 blades together on the dremel and cut a big slot in the screw heads so I could use a flat-bladed screwdriver, and it worked well.
Another time I used it to cut off a rusted on exhaust; used about five blades due to the shattering problem, but did the job. (I havent got an angle grinder).

Actually I havent got a Dremel, I bought a cheaper Kinzo one off ebay for £25, because I knew I would not use it much: snipurl.com/18apl . I have not really used the flexi-shaft, it seems to slow the motor down a lot due to vibration.
What's a "By Road" - Chicken Vindaloo
Driving round the Norfolk area over Chrismas, SWMBO and I noticed many road signs pointing to "By Roads". What are they? Any ideas anyone?
What's a "By Road" - L'escargot
Surely you've heard of high-roads and by-roads? A by-road is one which isn't big enough to be called a high-road! ;-) In my younger days my Norfolk-born parents and grandparents used to refer to turnpikes as well ~ historically, roads on which tolls were collected. Very quaint.
--
L\'escargot.
What's a "By Road" - Chicken Vindaloo
Many thanks for that L'escargot! I shall pass the info on to SWMBO.
Orange cinema trailer music - Dipstick
Serious long shot here I fear, probably made more so by my inability to describe properly what I'm after. I'll try.

We went to the cinema this week, and just before the feature there was what appeared to be a commercial. It turned out in fact to be a film that simply told us to turn off our mobiles, and had the Orange logo.

It was a little film about a power cut in New York, and the thrust of the thing was that "good things happen when you turn things off".

What am I'm getting at - does anyone recognize what I'm banging on about and more importantly - does anyone know what the music is that plays? I thought it was really good - a single female voice and simple accompaniment - but I have no clue whether it's a famous piece or specially commissioned or what.

I can't find anything via the Orange website or Google.

Anyone?
Orange cinema trailer music - BazzaBear {P}
I recognise exactly what you're talking about, but have no idea what the song is called, or who it is by.

The last line is something along the lines of "which is all you can do at the side of the blue" though, So I'd suggest 'side of the blue' as a possible title / starting point.
But the excellent website visit4info (all about ads), while not letting me get at all the info for this particular ad without regsitering, has told me that the artist is Joanna Newsom
And (sorry about the multiple emails, but I spotted this just after clicking reply) it's called "This Side of the Blue", so I was pretty close with my guess.
My word the interweb has its plusses.

This Side of the Blue, Joanna Newsome, whoever she be.

Thank you very much! Now all I have to do it go to the vinyl counter in Timothy Whites and ask if they stock that particular popular beat combo.

And sorry about the multiple emails, Bazza my bestest ever chum, but for any complete completionists out there - armed with your info it transpires YouTube has the trailer.

tinyurl.com/2sra49

Orange cinema trailer music - Stuartli
What you can find on YouTube is staggering - even "videos" of artistes first recorded back in the 1960s and 1970s here and in the States.
Orange cinema trailer music - cheddar
This Side of the Blue, Joanna Newsome, you can hear it here:

www.last.fm/music/Joanna+Newsom/_/This+Side+of+the...e
Orange cinema trailer music - mfarrow
Thank you very much! Now all I have to do it
go to the vinyl counter in Timothy Whites and ask if
they stock that particular popular beat combo.

Diverse Vinyl have it for £13.99.

--------------
Mike Farrow