S-Max or Touran Owners - a900ss
Hi,

I am in the process of changing my car, test driven my options and am now down to 3 possibilities:

S-Max 1.8 TDci Titanium X Pack
Touran 2.0 Tdi SE DSG
Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 Hdi Exec

The citroen is probably too new for you input but if you have an S-Max or Touran diesel, could you please give me an idea on what MPG you get in the real world.

I travel approx 40,000 miles per year so economy is important. Most of my driving is at a constant 70MPH on motorways, long journeys.

All input most welcome

Thanks
S-Max or Touran Owners - Altea Ego
I have the 1.9 105 tdi Touran. over the last 20k miles it has averaged 45 mpg. MPG drops off a cliff over 68mph and above due to the Rans brick like aerodynamics* (it has very poor aerodynamics) Astonishingly good road holding and handling for a MPV vehicle tho.

I see the ran mk2 has a slightly changed profile, but i suspect just as bad
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
S-Max or Touran Owners - cheddar
Albeit an older mechanical design than the 1.6, in the Focus / C-Max the 1.8 is more refined than the 1.6 which is the same engine as in the C4 Pic, reckon a 1.6 C4 Pic might feel a little lethargic. The Touran would be the punchiest of the three you mention though has reliability issues, surprised TVM did not mention them, and the VAG 4 cyls are not very refined.

Why not a 2.0 TDCi Zetec S-Max with a few options, I was looking at the price list the other day and reckoned that the Zetec is good VFM and a good level of spec in it's own right.

S-Max or Touran Owners - Avant
It would be interesting to know what you didn't like about the other 3 or 4 cars you had on your shortlist in your other thread. Some of these would suit me next time. Maybe size since you have now setttled for MPVs?

From the road tests I've read, the S-Max is the testers' current favourite, though you can't have an automatic yet. I'd go for the 2.0 TDCI at a lower trim level if you're restricted on price. It's a big car for a 1.8.

The Picasso (auto only with the 2.0 for some reason known only to Citroen; 1.6 apparently sluggish) seems to be ideal for everyone except the driver.

Touran has been well reviewed but you do need a good VW dealer, and some are much better than others. I've had two utterly reliable VAG cars but other people haven't been so lucky.

Does your nom de plume 'a900ss' imply that you one had a Saab? Have you eliminated a 9.3 estate?
S-Max or Touran Owners - rtj70
"The Picasso (auto only with the 2.0 for some reason known only to Citroen"

Is it not a robotised (is that a word) manual rather than an automatic? It did not go down well with reviewers in Autoexpress/Autocar if I recall.

Someone will now prove me wrong :-)
It would be interesting to know what you didn't like about
the other 3 or 4 cars you had on your shortlist
in your other thread. Some of these would suit me
next time. Maybe size since you have now setttled for
MPVs?

Yes, I have decided that although an estate will be more economical and refined on amotorway, an MPV fulfils my size requirements better
From the road tests I've read, the S-Max is the testers'
current favourite, though you can't have an automatic yet. I'd
go for the 2.0 TDCI at a lower trim level if
you're restricted on price. It's a big car for a

I'm thinking more 1.8 as it does all I need. I have REALLY slowed down now I have an 8 week old baby!!! The 2.0 would be nice but not sure the extra power would be needed. If I went for the 2.0, I cold go for a Titanium with a few goodies, still be enough fun!!!
The Picasso (auto only with the 2.0 for some reason known
only to Citroen; 1.6 apparently sluggish) seems to be ideal for
everyone except the driver.

I am a littler worried about this but the test drive seemed fine apart from the EGS box was a bit 'rough', not as smooth as a 'real' auto.
Touran has been well reviewed but you do need a good
VW dealer, and some are much better than others. I've
had two utterly reliable VAG cars but other people haven't been
so lucky.
Does your nom de plume 'a900ss' imply that you one had
a Saab? Have you eliminated a 9.3 estate?

a900ss goes back to my biking days, a 900 ss. A 900 SuperSport Ducati, Italian , Beautiful, Temperamental!!!
S-Max or Touran Owners - cjehuk
2.0TDI DSG Touran - 46mpg over 18000 miles - 54 plate model. There is a slight hesitancy when moving off from rest due to the engaging of the clutch on the gearbox. Overall it's a good vehicle and eats miles very happily. Cruise control is very handy too. Road time is about 50/50 split between local running (<25miles) and longer runs.
S-Max or Touran Owners - login
2.0 tdi se 2004
45 average - mainly short runs (4-5 miles), mostly full - with roofbox.

very good
S-Max or Touran Owners - turbo11
Sister -in -law has "54" reg 2.0 TDI Touran from new.Not sure of economy, but it is reliable.It is also standing up well to the abuse of three under five year olds.
S-Max or Touran Owners - Brian Tryzers
> I'm thinking more 1.8 as it does all I need. I have REALLY slowed down now I have an 8 week old baby!!! The 2.0 would be nice but not sure the extra power would be needed.

I've driven the 1.8D S-Max and while it was fine at cruising speeds, you really feel the weight of the car (1700kg) getting there, especially if you have to join a motorway from a short, uphill sliproad like the one at J12 on the M40 - which is part of my test route for precisely that reason. My guess is that the 2.0D would dispatch that with no trouble, and would be happier trundling in traffic in 3rd, with fewer drops to 2nd. Overall, a more relaxing experience rather than a faster, more frantic one - you may find it suits your slowed-down self (and your baby) better. I suspect real-world consumption would be similar too, since you'd be working the 2.0D less hard. (My test drive was with two aboard; seven-up, I really wouldn't fancy the 1.8D.)

Another factor to consider - my layman's guess is that the used market will view the 2.0D Zetec as the S-Max to have, and will regard most of the Titanium extras, and especially the X Pack, as disposable gimmickry, so you should be really sure you want them before you pay the extra. The Zetec also has a fairly firm ride even on 16" wheels; 18" on a Titanium X might be more than your baby will tolerate!

Just my thoughts, of course.
Another factor to consider - my layman's guess is that the
used market will view the 2.0D Zetec as the S-Max to
have, and will regard most of the Titanium extras, and especially
the X Pack, as disposable gimmickry, so you should be really
sure you want them before you pay the extra. The
Zetec also has a fairly firm ride even on 16" wheels;
18" on a Titanium X might be more than your baby
will tolerate!
Just my thoughts, of course.

I appreciate your thoughts, that's why I asked.

I have only driven a S-Maz on 17" wheels and that was fine. My current car is a 320d with lowered suspension and 17" wheels and I don;t suppose that an S-Max on 18" will be any less comfortable than that.

I have now narrowed my selections down to car, trim and options. Your inputs, as ever, are most welcome. Bear in mind I am a 40,000 miles a year driver, mostly motorways driving with a bit of central London thrown in. Both the Touran and S-Max are big enough for me so please don;t maek the Touran down on size. Thanks

Option 1:

VW Touran 2.0 TDI SE Manual ? Includes, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Heated Leather Seats, Privacy Glass, Ipod Controller, Rear Parking Sensor, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Auto Wipers, Auto Headlights, Headlight Washers, Metallic Paint, 16? Alloys

Option 2: (£30/Month more than Option 1)

VW Touran 2.0 TDI SE Automatic ? Includes Climate Control, Cruise Control, Privacy Glass, Ipod Controller, Rear Parking Sensor, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Auto Wipers, Auto Headlights, Headlight Washers, Metallic Paint, 16? Alloys. (SAME AS ABOVE EXCEPT LEATHER SEATS HAVE BEEN SWAPPED FOR AUTO)

Option 3: (£39/Month more than Option 1)

Ford S-Max 1.8 TDCi Titanium X Pack ? Includes Climate Control (independent controls for left/right), Cruise Control, Privacy Glass, Ipod Controller, Front Parking Sensors, Rear Parking Sensors, Auto Dimming rear view mirror, Auto Wipers, Heated Front Windscreen, Advanced Headlights (they bend around corners), Metallic Paint, 18? Alloys, Leather/Alcantara Seats, Panoramic Roof, Bluetooth Telephone Control.
Ok my thoughts on my touran. 1.9 TDI SE 7s with added dual zone Climate control.

It rides and handles better than it has a right to, given the height. The handling is very very good indeed and the ride is never really anything other than smooth and level (you may find the sport handling a little jiggly and firm.

It has so much space and flexibility you will never ever complain its not big enough. Its subdued around town but slightly noisy at 70mph. The aerodynamics are appaling. Above 30mph you cant have the windows open (even a crack) as the internal buffeting and pressure change frequencies is painful on the ears. Above 70mph the fule consumption falls alarmingly. Again it depnds on the aerodynamics. With the wind behind you can get 54mpg at 68mph, the same journey the other way with the wind against it drops to 43, Go above 75 and you are in sub 40mg territory.

The rear hatch is too big, you have to let the windows down before it can be shut. The climate control is the biggest waste of space I have ever used, utterly incapabable of maintaining any temperature, surpsing you by suddenly chilling you. Below 5c in the deisel the auxilory heater will poisen you with smoke and fumes before the car warms up (so much smoke people enquire if its on fire)

Unless the revamp has put a screen over it, the aircon will suck a stone into the low and open mounted condensor and land you with a £800 bill. (happens so much that condensors are now common on ebay)

The reliability on mine is shocking. Its the only two year old car that actually left me stranded, Its done 30k and turbo now whines so much that her indoors asked if we were being follwed by a police car with its siren on.

Frankly compton sheds have better build quality than this abomination. I ache for the lease contract to run out.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
So I'm guessing that out of the Touran, the Toran Auto or the S-max, you'd go for the Ford!!!!
Not driven the S Max, but if it was the chariot of hades, I would opt for that rather than the touran.

Its a shame because on the face of it the touran does stuff incredibly well. sometimes
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >