Vectra 1.8 iLS Fob Reprogramming - RMG
I have a spare 2-button fob for a Vectra which I got through my local scrapyard. I've been to Vauxhall and they want to charge me £20 for the Car Pass card (which I don't have as I bought the car second-hand), £93+VAT for a new fob (they don't like reporgamming old ones) and an unspcified amount for the actual reprogramming.

Anyone know a cheaper way to repgram it as I have the original fob which is a bit past it's sell-by-date and needs replacing?

All help greatfully received.
Vectra 1.8 iLS Fob Reprogramming - Dynamic Dave
As you still have the original fob, why not just swap over the remote electronics and imobiliser chip from one fob to the other?
I wish I could. It seems to be a semi-sealed unit. I can take the top off the remove the rubber coverrs for the buttons, but can't get the circuit board out as it's somehow fastened to the other half of the casing.
Vectra 1.8 iLS Fob Reprogramming - John S
When you say you have a '2 button fob' I assume you mean the old style independent remote locking unit? if so, you can programme this to your car yourself - the method is in the book. IIRC leave door open, turn on ignition and press either button within 20 (?) seconds. Doors should lock and unlock. Job done.

JS
Mine is separate from the key itself and is sort of flat egg-shaped. It has two buttons (one for unlocking, the other for locking).
The only other snag is this - I bought the car second-hand and don't have the owners manual. If someone could post the relevant section I would be very obliged.
Yep, that's the one - try the above method.

JS
Thanks for that - I'll give it a go over the weekend and let you know next week.
Vectra 1.8 iLS Fob Reprogramming - SpamCan61 {P}
Yep assuming the key looks somthing like this ( an Omega one but should be similar):-

i18.tinypic.com/4gj8bok.jpg

Then John S's method should work, although on an Omega at least, you have to close the driver's door rather than leave it open.

You can download Vauxhall user manuals from their web site, although I think you have to sign up with an e mail addy. first - linked from the bottom left corner of their home page; not sure how many models it covers but may be worth a look.
The method JohnS describes will only work with an existing fob that's 'married' up to the car. A replacement fob, beit second hand or new will need pairing up to the car via diagnostic euipment such as Tech2 - this is why the car pass document is important as it contains the necessary codes for the car.

You could try asking timpsons ( www.timpson.co.uk/keys/keys.asp ) to see if they can help.
Forgot to add, or any of the other suggestions in reply to the following posting.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47444
DD

Didn't realise that! Even if that's the case, the dealer is being a bit devious though because it's not the fob that's programmed, it's the car that's programmed to accept the fob. It takes about 5 minutes with a Tech 2 to programme a new key and I guess this is similar. So 'don't like programming old units' is an odd excuse. As you say it does need the car pass with the ECU code to match anything to the car and there's no way round that.

JS

A problem with sourcing a 2nd hand one is making sure it is the right one. Not sure if it applies to the older separate remote fobs, but with the ones built into the key itself there is more than one type. Maybe this is why the dealer is reluctant to use a 2nd hand fob?
I've just sent the folloiwng to Vauxhall Customer Services:-

I currently own a 1.8iLS Vectra which I purchased second-hand.

I have since found that the remote central-locking fob has ceased to work. I have made enquries about a replacement unit only to be quoted approximately £100 for a new unit and then an unspecified fee for "marrying" it to the car. I have also been told that I need the "Car Pass" card which will cost an additional £20 (approx).

I am therefore requesting the following information :-
1) A copy of the "Car Pass" for my vehicle (I can supply proof of ownership if necessary)
2) The correct cost of reprogramming a new remote fob
3) A copy of the owners manual (via e-mail in pdf format if this is any easier)
4) Information on reprogramming a second-hand unit rather than purchasing a new unit.

A prompt response would be appreciated as I find this a great vehicle for day-to-day commuting, extremely comfortable on longer journeys and would hate to have to replace the vehicle due to poor customer services.

Any bets on how far I'll get?
would hate to have to replace the vehicle due to poor customer services.

Can't see why not having a remote fob would want you to change the vehicle.

Next time I pop across to a Vauxhall Forum I subscribe to (www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk) I'll see if I can dig up some more info; unless you want to come over and check it out for yourself?
Vectra 1.8 iLS Fob Reprogramming - Altea Ego
One of the reasons you get a second hand car cheaper than a new one is that you dont get any customer services.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Vectra 1.8 iLS Fob Reprogramming - wbandy
This is making excellent reading, I purchased a second hand N-reg 2.0 litre Vectra and i am having problems with the fob too...The fob is very tempremental and only sometimes seemed to work up to now...If the car is locked i would have to open it with the key which would always set the alarm off...I have replaced battery and its not that...Local vauxhall dealer looked at it and said they had fixed it (never thought to ask exactly what they did but they never charged me so im assuming they just changed battery and got lucky)...It worked fine for the rest of the day then when i went to get in it this morning after it had been sat outside since thursday it would not unlock with the fob again...I have just tried the reprogramming advice and it seems to be working now again but will this happen again or should it now be fixed, any ideas folks??...Ta.
I have just tried the reprogramming advice and it seems to be working
now again but will this happen again or should it now
be fixed, any ideas folks??...Ta.

IIRC, there was an issue where the battery contacts could become detacted from the PCB resulting in a dry joint connection. If the garage have resoldered the dry joints all well and good, but really only time will tell.
excuse me for being a bit slow here...Whats IIRC and PCB?
Thanks
If I Recall Correctly
Printed Circuit Board
Thanks for the advice, Much appreciated.
I will keep my eyes on it and see how it goes, The lights worked earlier on the fob but no response from the car...Now i have re-programmed it im hoping it will be ok.
Andy
Vectra 1.8 iLS Fob Reprogramming - SpamCan61 {P}
I've had the battery holder detaching issue with the key for SWMBO's Zafira, another common problem with the remotes is the little push button switches wearing out, this can be fixed if you are handy with a soldering iron :-

snipurl.com/17zl6
Yes, unlocking with the key does set the alarm off - a point the Instruction book fails to mention! So, nothing wrong there. Turning on the ignition silences it, as I'm sure you've found out!

JS
A temporary solution to stopping the alarm enabling when you lock up (until you get a replacement remote fob) is to reach in through the rear offside door and press the drivers door button down, then close up the rear door. Ok the deadlocks won't be set, but nor will the alarm, which can only be turned off as per John S's post. The immobiliser however will still work as that relies on a transponder chip inside the keyfob.
As expected - here's the response from Vauxhall :-

Thank you for your email dated 22 January 2007, regarding the costs of replacement keys.

As this operation is carried out by our Vauxhall Dealerships, who are responsible for organising replacement keys, I am unfortunately unable to comment on the costs involved. The amounts the dealers charge are not set by Vauxhall; therefore I would advise you to discuss this issue with the Dealership's Management.

Regarding your request for an owner's manual, I am also afraid that Vauxhall do not store manuals for a vehicle the age of yours. Your local retailer might also be able to help with this matter.

Thank you for your email, should you have any further problems please do not hesitate to contact us on 0845 090 2044.

I am in shape ..... round is a shape!
8-)