MKII Golf No starter and clicking - ghd
Car: 1991 1.6 MkII Driver.

When I turn the key for ignition, the starter doesn't turn and I can hear a fast and regular clicking that sounds like arcing.

Any suggestions as what might be amiss and how I might solve it?

thanks,

GHD

MKII Golf No starter and clicking - yorkiebar
Depends where this noise is but....

most obvious problem would be starter motor (noise from under the bonnet) or 2ndly the ignition swithc ( noise from under the dash).

Both are regular failures on Golfs so hope it should be 1 of theses!

If more help needed just post back?
MKII Golf No starter and clicking - George Porge

Check battery leads for cleanliness and security.

Check the earth lead from the battery to the gearbox is clean and secure

Check that the thick battery lead from the battery to the starter motor is clean and secure

Personally I'd undo all the above, wire brush all contacts before smearing a little vaselene on them before tightening them up. For your safety remove the black battery lead first and reconnect it absolutely last.

Fully charge the battery with a trickle charge over night.

All the above will only cost you pennies and 1 hour of your time.

;O)
MKII Golf No starter and clicking - ggh1
If the good and sound advice from both Yorkiebar and Dox does not cure the problem then check the condition of the starter brushes, they can become worn out at around this age.
MKII Golf No starter and clicking - Peter D
Between the body of the starter and the starter solenoid is a braided peice of cable that is exposed to the air for about 1.5 cm. This corrodes and eventuel goes high resistance or just falls apart. Check the braided cable is sound.. Regards Peter
MKII Golf No starter and clicking - dieselfreak
I have a MK2 diesel, this happened to me and the clicking is the soleniod, check the cable that runs from the battery to the Sol, give it a good pull, as mine was broken inside the insulation, it had enough strands to pass a charge to work the Sol, but was sending enough power through. I only discovered this after I had changed the Sol (£65) when £1 of cable would have done it. Let me know how you get on