Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - MikeTorque
Has anyone tried Shell V-power diesel yet and if so how does it compare with BP Ultimate diesel in terms of noticable performance and economy ?
Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - quizman
Where can you buy Shell V-power, they don't have it at my local Shell.
Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
No local Shell and BP garages are very expensive around here.
I'll stick to Total and Miller's.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - oldtoffee
I usually use BP Ultimate diesel but recently I tried a few fills of V Power diesel and honestly couldn't notice any difference at all. The last 3 fills have been with BP Ultimate in (triple points on the Nectar card) and I honestly think the car pulls better at higher revs than with V Power. Mine is a remapped PD 130 to 175 bhp and maybe benefits from a higher cetane rating with Ultimate (if it is in fact higher) although in colder air, the car is appreciably quicker so maybe that is the differenece and not the fuel?
Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - aaflyer
Have been using BP Ultimate (unleaded) for the last 6 months or so. As NeilS says, my motor seems to pull better than it did before (perhaps at paying 99.9p/litre, I am willing it to!). My question is simply this: in their adverts BP claim something along the lines of a 1.2 will perform like a 1.4. So, what exactly is it about the fuel that allows BP to claim this? - is it the higher cetane rating and, if so, how does this work and will it work in all cars.

Thanks,

AA
Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - MikeTorque
I've used BP Ultimate unleaded in petrol cars and Ultimate Diesel in diesel cars and they definately improved the performance of each car immediately. The extra performance is noticable when driving up an incline as there is noticably more torque throughout the rev range, and the higher octane or cetane definately contributes to smoother higher revs if needed and there isn't the falling away of power that is noticable when using ordinary fuels.

By paying more for Ultimate fuel I tend to be even more economy minded whilst driving which means less pollution, no worries about speed cameras, and the extra I paid in the first place is rewarded with cashback in real terms, and the knowledge that Ultimate really does clean the engine faster than ordinary fuel, and keeps it clean, and contributes to less environment pollution which is a real plus point over ordinary fuels.

Links for BP Ultimate below and Shell v-power :

BP Ultimate diesel
www.bp.com/genericsection.do?categoryId=4005610&co...2

BP Ultimate petrol
www.bp.com/genericsection.do?categoryId=4005560&co...3

Shell v-power diesel
www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=uk-en&FC2=/uk-...l

Shell v-power petrol
www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=uk-en&FC2=/uk-...l
Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - gbn
I find the Shell stuff better in my Vaux CDTi.
Perhaps 10+ better economy over BP standard.
I can't get BP Ultimate here though
Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - slowdown avenue
just done this coarse test.full tank bp regular 35.25 litres 259 miles, tank of bp ultimate 297, tank of shellregular 262, shell optimax 285, all of these miles on similar runs about town and country, 1.2 twinport vauxhall, have to say the car felt quite perky with the bp ultimate, didnt notice any differene with shell. might use ultimate in future to reduce time spent at filling station, but still hate bp for the diesel pump ultimate fiasco. got a petrol car now so cant put the wrong stuff in.
Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - DP
I used Ultimate Diesel for a few tankfuls in my Focus TDDI (when the company were paying) and I can honestly say it made absolutely naff all difference in either performance or economy.

To be quite honest, I have yet to be convinced that diesel isn't diesel wherever you buy it from. The Focus did 100,000 miles on almost exclusively supermarket fuel (I collected the loyalty points) and didn't seem to suffer for it. Never noticed any difference when I filled it with the odd tank of branded fuel either. The Mondeo runs on Sainsbury's fuel most of the time, with the odd tank of branded stuff and again, consistent 47-48 mpg and (zero) performance. ;-)

I am more convinced by performance petrol though. Our old MX-5 *loved* Optimax. Noticeably keener to rev, and another 30-40 miles per tank.

Cheers
DP
Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - craig-pd130
I've tried everything except the new V-Power diesel (Passat PD130) .... and none has made any measurable, repeatable difference that can't be explained by prevailing wind / variable driving conditions.

Maybe it's because Shell launched Diesel Extra at my nearest petrol station about a month after I got the car, so it's had nothing but "good" fuel from brand new, so there's very few deposits to clean up.

But even a tankful of Tesco or Asda stuff has made no measureable difference to performance or economy.
Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - dieselhead
I suspect the benefits of using a premium fuel is much greater for petrol vehicles. In my experience of using a single cylinder research engine using a fuel of a higher cetane rating does nothing for power output (running straight vegetable oil of very low cetane rating actually had a slight power advantage over pump diesel in the work i did). Diesels may benefit from additional additives to control injector deposits but it might be cheaper and more effective to use an injector cleaner additive.
Petrol is different. In the case of older vehicle's higher octane rating allows more ignition advance to be set to the benefit of power..similarly in newer vehicles knock sensors effectively allow more ignition advance as the knock threshold is raised. I suspect this is the basis of the making a '1.8 engine feel like a 2.0 litre claim. Benefits greatest for turbocharged petrol cars.