Mis-fueling - Xileno {P}
We hear a lot about the problems if you put petrol in a diesel.

But what might be the problems (if any) if you put diesel in a petrol.

Hypothetical of course... :-0
Mis-fueling - daiking
nearly did it once but fortunately the diesel nozzle was bigger than the petrol tank neck. phew.
Mis-fueling - Steve Pearce
I put a couple of gallons of diesel in to a hired petrol Transit once, my defence was that when I drove it it felt like a diesel! It started to misfire badly. I managed to drain most of the tank and then I brimmed it with petrol. Drove it around for a while and apart from an excess of smoke was OK.
Mis-fueling - oilrag
Well, there is the cat to consider but as others have said you can`t get the nozzle in. On an older. pre cat Petrol engine it will just need draining and (IMHO) tow starting if the carb and fuel lines are still full of derv after the tank drain.
Mis-fueling - wemyss
In the last few days I read somewhere on the internet that the new Range Rover has some kind of device in the filling cap which prevents misfueling. It detects the wrong size nozzle and something swings across and blocks it from being inserted.
wemyss
Mis-fueling - sierraman
I've done this,managed to get the mile home before total failure,lots of smoke and loss of power.No cat to worry about,drained and filled with petrol it started after a bit of churning to clear the carb.Used the diesel/petrol mix(4 gals) at the rate of 1 to a half tank or so,ran OK like that,maybe a bit UCL from the diesel.
Mis-fueling - Peter D
I fhtis happens at a motorway service and you pull away and get upto 70 when the diesel gets though you can blow the head gasket and even smash in the top of a couple of pistons or even caes where the plug had been blown out of a head. Spoils you day that. Regards Peter
Mis-fueling - Screwloose
Peter

Don't know where you got that from; but it's utter rubbish. Used to see loads of those [pre-unleaded nozzles] and typically they just lose power, rattle a bit, smoke and stop. You wouldn't even get off the forecourt before an injected car - and most carbs - were affected.
Mis-fueling - Aprilia
Well, you might get a bit further than the forecourt, but not much further....
A drain out and clean up (new fuel filter) and should be OK.
Mis-fueling - Steptoe
If it's pre-injection & pre cat and you've only put in £10 of diesel, then just top up with petrol and you can drive away as if nothing has happened.

The car will occasionally smoke and splutter until the stuff is sufficiently diluted with further top-ups.

Not that I've done it.... ;-)
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure