Yesterday, all my troubles ... - colin
Hundreds of years ago, when I was young and hairy, you could make out roughly what went on in the engine compartment of a motor just by raising the bonnet. You could buy a Haynes manual for most cars, and very useful they were too. I see that Halfords still have them on sale but wonder if, in this age of electronic geewhizzery, they are worth the outlay?

Also at that time, when I still had lead in my pencil, there was a monthly mag called Motor Sport. It had a green cover. Despite the title it had quite a bit of off-track coverage, e.g. it was a good source of adverts for veteran/vintage/ PVT cars. If I remember rightly, the editor was one Bill Boddy. He was an enormous fan of the Beetle (the real one not the current cash-in) and his enthusiasm must have been worth £thousands to VW. Is the mag still produced, and is aforementioned Bill Boddy still with us?
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - Cockle
Colin, I have this nightmare where I open a Haynes manual and under every chapter heading it just says, ' refer to main Dealer ', I'm sure the day is coming........
It's the main reason I stick to bangernomics, basically I can still understand most vehicles that I can afford to run!
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - Mark (Brazil)
Colin,

You'll like this, you really will...............

www.ewacars.com/mghms.html>Motor Sport Magazine

Mark.
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - spud
You mustn't forget that yesterday, the most important bit of kit in the
toolbox was a few squares of fibreglass cloth and a whacking great big tin
of Davids Isopon. Weekends were spent filling holes in the bodywork and
trying to keep all the chrome clean. I had a grey Ford Anglia 105E. I
lowered the rear suspension (couldn't afford to do the front) and had van
tyres fitted because I couldn't afford five and a half J's. Oh! and I remember
making a hole in the rear exhaust box to make it sound........well, blooming
awful really. Ah yes, those were the days that I'd rather forget.
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - cyclone cyd
Yes, Haynes have gone all timid on us. They're probably afraid of someone trying to follow simple instructions, getting it wrong and then suing them for everything they've got!!
Particularly infuriating are the sections on ABS and air con. In the manual there is a brief description of how ABS works, but if you actually have a problem Haynes only advice is to take it to the dealer. Many ABS systems had a self diagnosis programme and it's possible to check sensors with a simple ohmmeter.
Similarly, why can't Haynes give more technical data about engine sensors (voltages, resistances etc)??
Modern engines aren't necessarily more difficult to maintain or diagnose than older ones - you might need the odd piece of speciallist diagnostic equipment (Gunsons do some for the home mechanic) but most of all what is needed is information.
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - Andrew Hamilton
My elderly mothers 1983 metro is a joy to work on. No nasty modern electrics, just relays. Even 1990 perkins diesel in my panel van has no computers or catalyst.
Agree about Haynes not providing enough information but is there a better technical publication with simple easy to read text and clear pictures!
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - Alyn Beattie
Andrew
What is the name of this better publication?
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - The
"you could make out roughly what went on in the engine compartment of a motor just by raising the bonnet. You could buy a Haynes manual for most cars, and very useful they were too. I see that Halfords still have them on sale but wonder if, in this age of electronic geewhizzery, they are worth the outlay?"

When I last looked at a modern Haynes manual in Halfords it was sealed for life with plastic, just like a modern engine!;-(
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - Andrew Hamilton
Guess I should have put a question mark at the end! If only there was a simple alternative to Haynes.
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - Mark (Brazil)
>What is the name of this better publication?

Alyn,

I think you mis-read - Andrew wrote "is there" rather than "there is"

M.
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - N.Witherall
Nice to see Bill Body of Motor Sport mentioned,agree his enthusiasm for the Beetle must have sold a few,I myself after reading his write ups first hired one from Bourne End Motors for 48hrs then owned three between 1956 and 1961.

His other claim to fame was of course as passenger to Stirling Moss when he won the Mile Meglia (not sure of the spelling) but Im sure you know what I mean.

Not many of us left now
Cheers
Norman
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - Bono Estente
Norman,

You sure it was he who was brave (stupid?) enough to drive with Sir Stirling through walled Italian towns at 155mph? Don't think so.
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - David Millar
Nope. It was Denis Jenkinson aka Jenks who died 5-6 years ago who famously partnered Stirling Moss as well as partnering in sidecar grand prix prior to that. Jenks, who was very short, bespectacled and bearded, reported on the car Grand Prix and F1 for many years. I recall visiting March Engineering in the 70s when Bruno Giacomelli was their new driver. Robin Herd, the designer, and Max Mosley were waiting nervously for the arrival of Jenks and his verdict on the new car. For myself, I was too overawed to speak to him and respectfully eavesdropped. I think he wrote very little on the new car in the end.

David
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - colin
Norman, I too was persuaded to buy a Beetle (YFY 982, from Zetland Motors of Southport) by his enthusiasm. Cost me all of £600 in approx 1965. Had it for a few happy years then a closing-time p*** artist coming south in the northbound carriageway, near the Thatched Barn at Borehamwood, spoiled it all. However, as posted previously, if I'd been in a Mini I wouldn't be here now. Got the car back but it had a few strange creaks so I sold it.

A few years ago I nearly wrote off a company motor in my excitement when I saw YFY982 on the A308. It had been turned into a 'fun car'.
Re: Yesterday, all my troubles ... - Kevin

Haynes manuals are now aimed at the weekend DIY'er.

If you need more info than that, then you need to buy the manufacturers workshop manuals which are pretty expensive. They used to be available on microfiche or as hardcopy but I guess CD-ROM would be the current media and hopefully cheaper.

As an example, around 1990, I paid £70 for a set of Porsche 944 manuals on fiche, the hardcopy version was over £300.

If you're doing everything yourself then they really are worth it.

Kevin...