Mondeo TDCi fuel filter change - Q? - cheddar
Hi,

I am thinking of changing the fuel filter myself because it is due though a full service is not yet due, the filter is easy to change, it clips in and has quick release pipe fittings, also the system is self bleeding though I dont want to crank the engine to get the air through, how about applying power to the lift pump for 5 mins or so to pump the air in the new filter back through the fuel return to the tank?

Not sure how the dealer does this, any thoughts?

Thanks.
Mondeo TDCi fuel filter change - Q? - quizman
If the Mondeo is like my Focus you are supposed to use a small funnel and fill up the filter with diesel. Don't do what my garage did and try and start it for 45 minutes, squirting brake cleaner in the air intake, and then towing it about a mile before it starts.
I don't think it does the car much good at all!!
Mondeo TDCi fuel filter change - Q? - kithmo
Although the TDCi is supposed to be self priming, it's not good for the battery or starter motor to crank the engine until it starts. The dealers use a vacuum bulb device that sucks the diesel through. It's fitted to the return line after the filter (you'll see another joint on the bulkhead). AFAIK there is no lift pump on the TDCi only on th TDDi, the main fuel pump does all the sucking. IMO filling the filter with diesel via a small funnel is a good idea, the engine would start ok but probably miss a bit initially until all the air was purged through.
Mondeo TDCi fuel filter change - Q? - mss1tw
When I did the filter on my Toledo, just filling the new one with diesel was good enough, it barely even stuttered.

Makes sense to get some diesel from a pump though as it will cleaner than if you pour what is currently in the filter into the new one as I have seen recommended.
AFAIK there
is no lift pump on the TDCi only on the TDDi,

I think it is the other way around?

Thanks for the advise, where to get a few 100ml of diesel? I have a petrol can though that is just that, a petrol can and has half a gal of u/l for the mower.
Mondeo TDCi fuel filter change - Q? - mss1tw
Buy another can/Get a suitable glass container, fill it with say £3 of diesel, then fill the filter, then top up the tank of the Mondeo. ;o)