"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - RB
Just wondering, and apols if I have missed coverage of this. Anyway, I'm curious to know whether the current 1.9 105 TDi is akin to what I call the old 110 TDi from a few years ago?

I'm looking to go back to one of these - either a new Leon or Octavia - and something in my head tells me that in many ways, the 105 is preferable to the 2.0 140. The thing is, I remember being pretty impressed by the performance and economy of a previous (Toledo) 1.9 110.

So, is the performance between the "old and new" pretty similar despite the apparant 5 fewer horses, or should I just go for a 140 anyway?

I want the best of both worlds of course - economy and performance!

Thank you.
"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - mss1tw
The 105 is PD I believe and a lot torque-ier!

I find my 110 non PD has enough torque anyway.
"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - Soupytwist
This is something I have been pondering on recently as I have a 110bhp Octavia diesel estate company lease car due for renewal. The lease prices for the 1.9 litre 105bhp engined models are far lower than the 2.0 litre diesel ones and I've been wondering whether I'd miss the extra 5bhp. The real world answer is most probably no, especially as the 105 bhp engine has higher torque levels than the old 110bhp engine. I'm going to buy the current Octavia at the end of the lease and look again in 12 months time when my financial situation is a bit clearer, I've been thinking about getting either a new Octavia estate or a SEAT Toledo / Altea and will try and test drive both.

The economy of the 105bhp engines seems pretty good and I have a 100bhp PD engine in our other car - a SEAT Ibiza which certainly hauls that car along very well.

HJ'd road test of the current Octavia addresses this point as well -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=132

You say you're 'looking to go back to one' - what are you driving at the moment?
--
Soupytwist !
"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - daveyjp
You won't get the economy with the 140 (expect 40 ish round town), but performance and power delivery is better than the 130 version, never mind the 105. As ever drive them both and see if you need the extra poke. DSG box and 140 is a great combination - nearly done 30,000 in my A3 and still enjoying it.
"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - AR-CoolC
I have the 105 in a new Leon, and although on paper it has beter fuel economy than the 140 (2.0) in the real world the 140 has better economy (my colleague has a 140 Altea) probably due to the 6 speed gearbox in the 140 and 5 speed in the 105.

Although I have re-mapped my 105 to approx 135 :)
"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - stevied
Dave, you have the same car as me then. What do you think of the DSG gearbox? I love the car, but were I to have another I would lose the DSG.

It isn't as economical as my old-shape 130 (had one in 2003) by a LONG way, but the extra performance is noticeable, so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts.
"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - Mad Maxy
The 'old' 110 needed new injectors at c80k miles (per HJ) to avoid undue bore wear. I doubt that's a problem with newer VAG engines.
Any more info on this? Mine's at 66,000 at shows no signs of needing them.
"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - Mad Maxy
Any more info on this? Mine's at 66,000 at shows no
signs of needing them.

IIRC problems can start to show at 100,000. Changing beforehand forestalls them. Wear of the injectors upsets the combustion pattern causing uneven bore wear. I've seen HJ mention it in his DT column several times. Anything in the 'Car-by-car breakdown?
I'd never have a six speed manual diesel - far too many changes round town for my liking. I drove the manual and DSG Audi A3 on consecutive weekends and the DSG felt the best option to me from the moment I first pulled away. I have a colleague with a Toledo and friends with an EOS and an A3, all with the 2.0 TDi. Each and every one of them tried my car as they were considering DSG, but none of them chose it. All are now saying they wish they had had it as an option.

It's a shame Audi don't use it in their larger cars yet as I may need something larger next time, but the TDi DSG combination is excellent.

Don't put reduced economy down to the DSG, the friends with manual 140s get similar MPG to me.
"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - JohnM{P}
My MkV Golf 105TDi is definately quicker and more refined than my MKIV 110TDi was. It is about 1mpg thirstier, but it is a bigger car. The 105 motor is like the 110 in that it has much more progressive power characteristics than the 115/130 and (from all the reports I have read) the 140 bhp engines - there is no sudden switch-like step in torque at 1800rpm which makes driving in town tiring (if you wish to avoid emulating the famous Queen head-banging scene from the film whose name escapes me but which I'll remember the moment I hit the post button...)
Waynes World?
"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - RB
Dear All,
Thank you for your comments and replies - very helpful and interesting. Especially re the smoother more progressive delivery of power. I had also heard about that from somewhere or other, which was one of my reasons for asking.

I am not likely to be changing (if all goes to plan but you never know these days) until the summer.

To answer a question re what I drive at the moment, well, some of the knockers will knock me, but there we go. It's an MG ZTT and yes, it's got the 1.8 K-series engine, and no, the head gasket hasn't gone yet and yes, I do check the coolant regularly! But the thing is, it loooks super, even if I say so myself, is damned comfy, nice amount of space, which I don't really need but I refuse to be lectured by Gordon and co, and has a sort of presence on the road, if you know what I mean. And most of the time, it is plenty fast enough for my needs.

But changes of job location will mean longer commute and am not going to get paid any more for doing so, and I used to have a diesel a few years ago, and am minded to go back for those reasons.

Tar.

Richard

PS - yes, it was Wayne's World. Cool!
"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - Old Navy
Daveyjp - 6 Speed manual diesel - too many changes around town?

It sounds as if you havent tried it, they are effectivly 4 speed.

4th very flexible and plenty fast enough to damage your licence, 5th too high, 6th no chance.

"New" VAG 1.9 TDi 105 v "old" 110 - George Porge
I agree with Old Navy, you'd never get in 6th around town (80MPH is 2200RPM in my car), 5th would be out of the power band, 4th is very tractable and usable around town.

Auto's (including DSG) are for old people are'nt they? ;O)

PD's are something like 20% more torquey than conventional pump motors that they replaced.

Having the car rechipped makes progress smoother as it adds more power below 1700 rpm, better fuel economy too if driven in the same manner.

www.upsolute.com/

;O)
I did try the manual and 4th is flexible, but to get to 4th you need to go through 1,2,3 (if you don't block change). In stop start traffic you are constantly changing to get yourself to flexible fourth gear. As most of my journeys involve urban traffic with traffic lights and traffic queues a plenty sitting there and letting the box change is much more relaxing.