Cooper S Stiff Gearchange - jakey_snake
Just traded in my 03 Ibiza TDI Sport for a 55-plate Mini Cooper S, and after a few days have noticed that the gearchange and clutch both seem to be pretty heavy - there's absolutely no way you can just 'slap' it into gear like I could with the Ibiza when a quick gearchange was required.

I don't remember the gearchange being that heavy on the Cooper S that I test drove, so was just wondering if could still be newness - apparently the mini has had one very careful lady driver prior to me, or whether I should be taking it back to the dealership and asking them to have a butchers.

All replies very welcome

jake
Cooper S Stiff Gearchange - Mad Maxy
I think the quality of the gearchange varies from car to car. I bought an 05 MCS last April; that has a change that I first felt was a bit stiff and baulky, but I've got used to it - and in fact I rather like it. The clutch feels quite meaty too - and I rather like that. Too many modern cars are rather bland.

On the other hand my mate's 55 cooking Cooper has a very easy (and uninvolving) gearchange. I much preferred the feel of the 52 Cooper I once had.

My advice: don't worry about it. BTW, my Cooper S had 3500 miles when I bought it, and now has 11,000. All been trouble-free and v enjoyable miles in between.
Oh, meant to acknowledge that the S does have a different gearbox to the plain Cooper (to cope with the extra torque - which is why the One D has the same box).
Cooper S Stiff Gearchange - jakey_snake
I knew that the 'box was a bit of a beast - will easily handle the torque from any engine mods with aplomb apparently, but didn't know if the gearchange and clutch was characteristic of all MCS's or just mine. Looks like I have nothing to worry about, other than an overdeveloped left arm and thigh.

cheers for the quick reply

jake
Cooper S Stiff Gearchange - Aprilia
There is no engineering reason why a gearbox designed to handle 'a lot' (in Mini terms!) of torque should be heavy to shift. Ditto the clutch. I certainly don't like heavy or baulky gearshift and I've no idea how such a shift could ever be called 'involving'! - just a pain.

If the lever itself is stiff/heavy to move then it would be worth having a workshop check the linkage - it is possible that this is some misalignment making the movement stiff.
If the actual shifting into gear is difficult then a change of transmission oil spec. may help, particularly in the colder weather. Going to a lighter grade, or using one of the friction-modified manual transmission fluids may help. A good, well designed transmission should be light and positive and go into gear without any baulking, snicking or crunching.
There is no engineering reason why a gearbox designed to handle
'a lot' (in Mini terms!) of torque should be heavy to
shift..

Absolutely. But my gearchange has a nice feel (to me) and the clutch is nicely weighted. Jakey, if you're in danger of some abnormal left limb development, I'd get it checked out, as Aprilia suggests.