Ford Zetec Problems - jejones
Is there an inherent fault with the thermostat sticking open on these engines?

I have owned a 2.0i Mondeo from new in 1996. Just over a year ago the temp gauge began behaving erratically, registering zero most of the time. I changed thermostat and the problem seemed to go away.

The temp gauge is now again back on zero most of the time. It may register on normal for a while, but can then sink back to zero again.

Anybody else have any experience of these sympoms?
Re: Ford Zetec Problems - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
From experience thermostats are a common failing,not exclusive to Henrys though, use genuine parts only.
Re: Ford Zetec Problems - jejones
Genuine Ford stat replacement put in a year ago. Seems very poor service life to me.
Re: Ford Zetec Problems - Keithb
Does the heater fail to get hot? If so, I suggest you look at the thermostat and see whether it's stuck open. If heater seems to be OK when gauge reads zero, then suspect the temperature sender or the gauge or a bad connection.
Re: Ford Zetec Problems - pete
I would have thought a symptom of a failed thermostat was a longer warm up period so the gauge should still register normal but after a longer warm up period. Unless cooling systems have changed from the 70's i would go for a poor connection to the temperature sender or to the gauge.
Re: Ford Zetec Problems - Richard Hall
I wonder if Ford use the same Bosch temperature sender that Audi used to fit to the 80/90/Coupe range. These often fail giving exactly the symptoms you describe. My Coupe has been like this ever since I got it - the temperature gauge only comes to life in heavy traffic, just before the cooling fan cuts in. I would have to remove the power steering pump to get to it, so I have left it alone. The sender on the Audi has four terminals, so if yours is the same, that could be your problem.
Re: Ford Zetec Problems - j.cronin
Put your hand on the top hose;if it stays cold for the first couple of minutes after starting then your thermostat should be OK.
Re: Ford Zetec Problems - Jason
Had the same problem about two years ago. Replaced the thermostat, problem went away, then came back. Replaced the sensor, no problems since.
Re: Ford Zetec Problems - mark ansell
We have 2.0 1994 GLX since 1996 with same problem. Have had thermostat changed along with pollen filter etc. Still little heat unless stuck in traffic. Most disappointing for a Ford; used to be best heaters.
Re: Ford Zetec Problems - jejones
Heater appears to work OK. Its the gauge reading that is irritating. Might try a new sensor - something to do over Easter!