Honda Civic Coupe/Citroen Xsara Coupe - stunorthants26
My sister is just about to sell her MG to downsize on running costs and improve security for her parking issues.

Shes quite keen on the Puma, but due to the issues with short cold runs with the 1.7 model ( which is her primary driving ), she will only consider the 1.4/1.6 models which are quite hard to find compared to the 1.7.

Anyhow, shes asked me to see if there are any other possible options which are fairly small engined coupes which are very reliable and cheap to run also.

The two Ive come up with are the Civic Coupe which should be reliable, but the Citroen Xsara 1.6 VTR - I know nothing about these so dont want to recommend them unless they are as reliable as the Puma and Civic.

Shes not bothered about how they drive, she just wants something that looks sporty/young and is cheap to run, esp insurance.

Ive checked the CBC section and there is no mention of the 1.6 that I can see, so is this a reliable unit and what about the rest of the car? She would be looking at one from around 2001-2.
Her definaition of reliability is that it simply doesnt go wrong aside from wear and tear items.
Honda Civic Coupe/Citroen Xsara Coupe - adamj23
I would choose the Civic anyday. Just check the insurance as they can be expensive on the coupe. The coupe has never been so popular over here, why not look at the 3 door? (2001-2006) I had one and it was cheap to run and insure if not so great to drive.
I would choose the Civic anyday. Just check the insurance
as they can be expensive on the coupe. The
coupe has never been so popular over here, why not look
at the 3 door? (2001-2006) I had one and it was
cheap to run and insure if not so great to drive.

Ive had a look at the insurance and its 11 which isnt too bad ( her VVC MGF is 14 ).
She wont want a car thats too common as she is young and likes to have just a little individuality - yes the Civic is a mature choice, but its a smart one aswell from a buyers point of view and perhaps more sophisticated than the Citroen. I think thats why she is insisting on a coupe which is fair enough, plus a Civic coupe is likely to have been owned by an older woman by the looks of the two that I saw today, which bodes well for condition.

I did suspect the Xsara could be trouble, but wanted to ask first!
Honda Civic Coupe/Citroen Xsara Coupe - oldtoffee
Wasn't or isn't the Civic the most reliable used car in a recent survey? My brother had a Xsara and it was a nightmare, I had a Xsara Picasso and it was fine. The Citroen would be a gamble, the Civic hugely less so.
Honda Civic Coupe/Citroen Xsara Coupe - y2k+4
Just wanted to throw the Renault Megane Coupe into the fray, mainly because most would consider it to be both prettier and more reliable than the Xsara. The 1.4 (98bhp, same as a 1.6 Puma) is a proven engine still used today, though my aunt did have trouble with her 1.6.

That said, the Civic's hard to beat on reliability.
Serious reliability doubts going by every reliability info source ive come across on them unfortunatly.
Honda Civic Coupe/Citroen Xsara Coupe - P.Mason {P}
Having owned 4 Civics during the past nine years, I would recommend them, - not one breakdown.

P.
Honda Civic Coupe/Citroen Xsara Coupe - M.M
Well I'm going for the Xsara. IMHO the best *sporty girl* (or pretty if you like) image of the three... more so if you get one in one of those lovely bright metallics they do on them. Could well be the best for ride, handling and driving refinement (read HJ C-by-C if you think that's daft) too.

Bank the £1000 plus you will save over getting a Civic and use it if should any unexpected repairs be needed.

The Renault does have a bad reputation but I have to say the late 1990s Megane 1.6 models I've looked after have been pretty trouble free, simple to service and liked by their owners. I don't rate the coupe styling though.

Frankly after the MG all three are potentially far more reliable.

Wonder what model Civic you mean... newer one or Rover 400 type?

M.M
My sisters MG has been pretty much trouble free aside from needing new discs and pads, plus a small issue with the PAS which is being sorted under warranty. Certainly no HGF or overheating, but then, she looks after it.

She just wants something with lower insurance ( she has 6 points ) and something that is more robust as shes tired of being so careful with her car ( also her fiances workplace has a very nasty slope which unless taken at walking pace, scrapes the front bumper ).

The MG also has very labour intensive servicing compared to many other cars which she wants to avoid, plus because she parks onstreet, a convertible is bad news esp with the influx of immigrants in her area which has coincidentally gone up with the car break ins and burglaries ( not making any kind of point, thats her point to me as she works in property and knows about such things ).

My sister and her fiance work 12 hours a day each and have little time to sort unforseen repairs, hence they want a reliable car that just needs a yearly service.

Shes looking at a Civic Coupe from around 2001.
Honda Civic Coupe/Citroen Xsara Coupe - The Purifier
I would go for the Civic coupe just as long as it is a post 2001 model with a manufacturer "body kit" (if you can call it that!) with spoiler. Plenty of smart low mileage models around from between 5.5k to 6.5k. Only downside is the interior which very similar to my old 97 Civic. Apart from that they are an excellent car which shouldn't let you down as most owners will testify
Honda Civic Coupe/Citroen Xsara Coupe - lakelad
She should go for the Honda - bits won't drop off.
Honda Civic Coupe/Citroen Xsara Coupe - LeePower
Of all the PSA Peugeot / Citroen cars ive owned or driven thousands of miles over the years I have never ever had anything or any bit drop off.

My sister, love her really, has now in her wisdom if you can call it that, decided that she really likes the look of a Daihatsu Terios with big wheels - no accounting for taste but she is insistant that she wants something a bit different, and I guess for her mainly town driving, a high driving postion and narrow width is a good thing. Personally, I think she just likes it for the wheels myself.

The funniest part is the the test drive success depends on how fast it can pull away from the lights - thats the instructions her fiance ( who will be away when she test drives it ) has given her as he has to negociate a very dodgy roundabout that requires a certain level of performance to get across safely on his way to work...

Anyone else have to deal with young womens flights of fancy when it comes to helping them buy cars? My sister is driving me up the wall.