corsa clutch or gearbox fault - sails north
01 corsa 1.0 standard manual transmission

hi, i think the fault is the clutch disk but not 100% sure. there no drive on the vehicle whatsoever. symptoms are that its engine starts fine, then the forward gears are selectable with or without pressing the clutch. for the reverse the clutch has to be pressed or it grinds. none of the gears actually produce any movement on the wheels even with the front wheels off the ground. also with the engine on or off, front wheels off the ground and car in gear theres no extra resistence when turning wheels by hand as compared to when not in gear.

dont know the history of what may have happend, but assume boy racer abuse. any help most appreciated:)
corsa clutch or gearbox fault - Dynamic Dave
Having to press the clutch for reverse suggests that the clutch is doing something. I take it still no drive to the wheels when in reverse?

I take it you've checked the linkage between the gearstick and gearbox? Also that everything is in alignment?
corsa clutch or gearbox fault - Peter D
Wheels off the ground, if your turn one wheel does the other rotate in the opposite direction. if not then the diff has disintergrated, however they normally come through the casing. Regards Peter
thanks dave, peter.

dave, theres no movement transfered to the wheels in reverse with engine on and no extra resistence at the wheels with engine off. the linkage seems fine.
peter, thats the strange part. the wheels dont seem to have any extra reistence when in gear either side. if you turn one wheel by hand the other side does not move in any gear, engine off or on.
corsa clutch or gearbox fault - Peter D
OK place a long screw driver on the gearbox housing and get a mate to select gears with engine running. You should hear enough bearing/gear noise to convince yourself the box is rotating internally, thus the crunch in reverse. It still sounds like a busted diff or final drive gear to me. Regards Peter
thanks peter, will try that today.
corsa clutch or gearbox fault - Number_Cruncher
This sounds very much like a failed diff - as PeterD says, they usually break the casing. Sometimes this can be quite difficult to see, if only the differential cross shaft has made a bid for freedom, the hole in the casing can be quite small.

One way to check the drivetrain is, with the wheels off the ground, and engine running, put it in top gear, and gently apply the brakes to make sure the wheels don't spin up through oil drag. If the speedo reads something sensible, say 30 mph or so, and moves properly as you rev the engine, then the final drive is turning. This tells you that the clutch and gears are OK, but the diff isn't OK.

On older Vauxhall gearboxes, you could easily inspect the final drive and diff because there was a seperate cover - dropping the whole final drive out was only a 10 minute job after taking off the driveshafts! I'm not sure if that is still true on this car, it's possible that the gearbox covers have changed since I last looked at one.

Number_Cruncher
thanks guys your spot on.

just been out now to have a look, there is now a small but constant trickle of red transmission fluid flowing down from the diff area.

also are the diff components available individually or as a repair set? or would a replacement used transmission be the best option?
corsa clutch or gearbox fault - Number_Cruncher
If the casing is smashed, cracked, or broken, you will probably be best off fitting another gearbox - you might be able to obtain one from a scrapyard or breakers.

Number_Cruncher