Peugeot 307 Hdi 110 engine oil - TM
I am contemplating on changing the engine oil on my car. It has done 17000 miles. The handbook recommends sythetic oil 5W-40,Total Quartz 9000. I rang local dealer who do not stock the Total brand, but offered me Motaquip 5W-40 oil, is this the same and will it be ok to use? If I can use the Motaquip brand, than can I use ANY brand (eg Castrol, Halfords own brand,etc.), so long as it is 5W-40?
Any suggestions on where I could get reasonably priced 5W-40 oil would be welcome. Many thanks.
Peugeot 307 Hdi 110 engine oil - Screwloose
TM

What year is your car? Is it still under warranty? If the handbook specifies fully-synthetic oil only; then that's what must be used. 5W-40 is only a thickness grade - not a quality standard.

Don't use the over-hyped rubbish; [Motaquip; Castrol; Halfords etc.] Use a big-name quality-lubricant supplier; Shell; Valvoline; Mobil et al.
Thank you for prompt reply. Car is 2005 (05 plate). It is still under warrenty. Total Quartz 5W-40 was quoted to me by another dealer at £29.00(incl vat)...reasonable price?
Peugeot 307 Hdi 110 engine oil - LeePower
Motaquip oil will be FINE for this.

Motaquip are part of PSA Peugeot / Citroen family ;-)
TM

It's very likely that changing your own oil will invalidate the warranty. Servicing - under warranty - must be carried out by a VAT-registered garage using OE spec/manufacturer's parts.
Try your local Peugeot dealer & see if they have a Express fit depot, they do oil changes using OE parts.

Like I said above, Motaquip are part of PSA Peugeot / Citroen group so using there oils is fine.

Peugeot 307 Hdi 110 engine oil - John S
Depends on the dealer. My Vx dealer was well aware I changed the oil on my Astra every 6 months after the first year when the car was under warranty - I bought the filters off him. In fact, I made a point of mentioning it, and his comment was 'good idea, we all do that here'.

JS
Peugeot 307 Hdi 110 engine oil - quizman
>>>Don't use the over-hyped rubbish; [Motaquip; Castrol; Halfords etc

Since when has Castrol oil been rubbish?

IMO Castrol is the best oil money can buy, I have used it for many years on my cars and tractors and have been very satisfied with it. I think that your remark is utter nonsence.
Ive used Motaquip & Total oils for many years in 4 different Peugeots & never had a problem.

Both oils are approved by Peugeot, are in the owners handbook so I stick whichever I have to hand in when needed.

As long as you meet or exceed the manufacturers specification for the oil need then there's nothing to worry about.

Motaquip oil is cheap from the main dealer but its still good enough for them to stick it in when you have it serviced there.

Only reason im on Total oil now is because its much cheaper to buy through my work.

quizman

Each to his own. How do you know that Castrol is the best oil money can buy? You're not falling for all those glossy, multi-million pound, TV ad campaigns are you? A magnetic liquid - that sticks to aluminium components? Really.... are they up for the Nobel science prize? I was a Valvoline distributor for 25 years; quite honestly - I'd bin GTX rather than even put in my lawnmower.

LeePower
Motaquip oil is cheap

You'll get no argument on that point. The local motor-factors virtually give the stuff away.

What was that lager that was "reassuringly expensive....?"
Like I have said several times, Motaquip is part of the PSA Peugeot / Citroen group, its all one big company.

Motaquip stuff is cheap, so what, doesn't mean its rubbish.

If its good enough for the Peugeot / Citroen main dealers to use there own products from there group of companies then its good enough for me.
Peugeot 307 Hdi 110 engine oil - volcane

Quatrz 9000 available at GSF for £15 +vat.
Thanking everyone for their comments and thoughts...all very helpful. Interesting debate on engine oil...appears it is one which has no definitive answer, a lot of variables have to be applied and taken into account on the path to deciding which is the 'right' oil !! Many thanks once again.
Peugeot 307 Hdi 110 engine oil - glowplug
I run my Xantia HDi on Total 7000 from GSF. Costs about £12 for 5 litres. I may move over to 9000 next.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
Cost of Total 9000 £16.50+vat at GSF...good value for branded product. Paying extra few quid worth it in long run...good investment !!
Peugeot 307 Hdi 110 engine oil - volcane
It's still quoted at £15+ on the website.
Thanks for the price update...however, when I enquired over the phone, I was quoted £16.50+vat? Will contact them again to re-check.