Tyre Profiles - Ed V
My Subaru Legacy Outback was bought 2nd hand, at 60,000 miles. It has Goodyear Geolanders, sized 215/55 R16.
I had noticed one or two other models with 60, rather than 55 profile tyres, and the dealer now tells me this (i.e. 60) is the recommended size for the car.
What impact will a lower than recommended profile have on the car? I'm trying to work out if the car has in fact travelled around 9% further than indicated on the mileometer. or am I simple?
Tyre Profiles - defender
all the info you need here www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html
scroll down to calculate your sizes but smaller profile on the same width would be less miles not more
Tyre Profiles - MW
I bet it will ride better, and be more comfortable.
Tyre Profiles - hillman
"I bet it will ride better, and be more comfortable."

It does both. I just changed to the Outback with those tyres. My Legacy was very comfy, but the Outback is more so.
Tyre Profiles - HectorG
Ed,

Which model Outback do you have? AFAIK the 2.5 runs on 60 profile tyres, whereas the 3.0 is fitted with 55's. Both are very comfortable, but the 60 profile feel slightly bouncier.

I wouldn't worry too much about running either. I have to put up with 225/45 tyres on my Volvo V70 with 17" alloys.These are dreadful, causing tramlining, a hard ride and the worst turning circle of any car I have owned in the last 40 years!

I am about to buy some 16" wheels with either 215/55 or 205/55 tyres as I have been advised that these will improve the turning circle, give an acceptable ride and eliminate tramlining. Have any backroomers tried anything similar with their cars? In particular, is it worth paying quite a lot extra for 215's to get an extra 5mm or so sidewall rubber over the 205's, or will the narrower width of the 205's compromise the handling?

Cheers

HectorG
Tyre Profiles - Ed V
I have the 2.5 Outback.

Changing tyre width though incurs cost of new wheels I assume, never mind the tyres themselves.

I'll think I'll 'up' mine to 60 profile when due for renewal and leave it at that. I believe the lower 55s would be slightly noisier than 60s, which is a good reason to increase the height too, for me anyway.

Yokohama Db tyres seems quietest from my research.
Tyre Profiles - Simon
>>Changing tyre width though incurs cost of new wheels I assume, never mind the tyres themselves

Not always, you can fit a few different tyre widths on the same size rim without problems. For example I owned one car a good few years ago that came with 155/65x13 tyres as standard on the rims. Yet if you bought the same model car in a different spec, eg a gti spec instead, it came with exactly the same rims but with 185/55x13 tyres. So it is possible to safely use different width tyres on the same rims, and my experience was with tyre widths of 30mm difference between them.
Tyre Profiles - Ed V
Well, blow me down etc.

That's beyond my little brain!