Computer Related Questions - Volume 112 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 112 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 112. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Stuttering DVD & CD playback - Dulwich Estate
The eldest offspring has a 3 month old Acer laptop (after the 3 1/2 year old Dell Inspiron expired).

Until now the CD/DVD drive worked fine for all the usual computing stuff and over Christmas it was used to playback a couple of DVD films. All was OK until around the third film when the playback started to judder - by this I mean it at first appears to run slow, but a careful look and listen shows it stops and starts. We've checked other DVDs which now juddder too, but other uses of the drive like CD back ups and reading data are OK.

Music CDs judder too.

Any ideas, please? Nothing that we know of changed to the system between a film playing properly and the same DVD not so doing.

Is it a shortage of some sort of memory?

We tried to go back to a recovery point - but there wasn't one to use!
Stuttering DVD & CD playback - No FM2R
Look at the performance (ctrl/alt/del and Task Manager). You've seemingly got something running which is using either a load of memory or CPU time.

Have you downloaded some dodgy, "free", DVD playing softwar e?

You could try safe mode and see if that makes a difference.
Stuttering DVD & CD playback - Baskerville
Assuming the machine/install itself is ok, try installing this DVD decoder instead (free and not dodgy):

nightlies.videolan.org/
Stuttering DVD & CD playback - rtj70
Is it doing this when plugged into the mains or running off batteries? I suspect the latter and if so here is the reason.

When on battery power the power management settings (if set to laptop) will aggressively reduce CPU clock speed to conserve battery power. This reduced speed results in a drop in performance that you won't normally notice - unless playing say a DVD. When the system realises CPU needed to be faster it will speed up and then moments later slow down again. Result would be a judder to DVD playback.

You can confirm if I'm right by running the DVD playback when laptop plugged into mains which ought to mean it runs at higher speed but depending on make of chipset, CPU, etc. even then it might try to throttle power. So a final test would be to go to Control Panel -> Power Options and change the type of computer from laptop to say desktop. This change will stop the system throttling CPU speed to conserve power and reduce heat....

Hope I'm right and this fixes it. My previous laptop did exactly this and I'd have to change power settings to stop it doing this but this resulted in quicker battery drain

If not what CPU is in the Acer, how much memory and what are the power settings in control panel set to.

Rob
Stuttering DVD & CD playback - Baskerville
But but but...

What kind of laptop doesn't automatically detect it's running on battery AND that it's playing a DVD and adjust settings accordingly? Is that not a standard thing?
Thanks all.

So far I can confirm (a) no dodgy downloads (b) Task Manager shows CPU usage ranging from 0% to about 5% when idling. With the (stuttering) DVD playing it ranges 25% to 65% or so and averaging around 40% I guess, with a very occasional peak of around 80% - it certainly doesn't hit 100%.

I'll go away and check the mains vs battery thing now.
It lives permanently connected to mains power and is supposed to be for educational purposes only, i.e. essays, internet research, emails to Mom & Pop asking for money - that sort of thing. (It's not cool to be seen with a big bulky desktop, you see!)

It makes no difference with battery or mains. On mains the battery shows 95%. I tried Control Panel > Power?>Laptop to Desktop and back again - but still no difference. I've also stopped most of what's running in Task Manager and still it stu, stutt, stutters.

If it helps: AMD Turion 64ML-34 processor, 1MB L2 cache, 1.8GHz ,512MB DDR, 80GB HDD, ATI Mobility Xpress 200M. The HDD is about 20-25% full.
Stuttering DVD & CD playback - sine
I've not read all the posts so this may have already been mentioned but is the judderiness still there when playing games, videos, MP3s etc from the Hard Disk or is the problem just with the CD/DVD drive?
Stuttering DVD & CD playback - adverse camber
What software is being used for playback for the dvd and audio cd ? Is it the same or different?

Any chance that it has updated itself?

I would try using a different player and then updating the codecs and drivers

Any possibility of over aggressive drm on the dvds?
Stuttering DVD & CD playback - Stuartli
Any optical drive only requires the basic Windows CDROM driver, which is installed automatically; rewriters use burning software to serve their purpose.

One trick that often works with an optical drive is to Uninstall it in Device Manager and then reboot. Windows will Find New Hardware and reinstall the driver.

Probably the best all round codecs pack (which serves the vast majority of needs) is the K-Lite standard pack which can be downloaded from:

www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

If you are using Windows Media Player, ensure that DVD is Enabled from Tools>Options>File Types (all files in fact).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
"What kind of laptop doesn't automatically detect it's running on battery AND that it's playing a DVD"

Blame Microsoft Windows.... although DE still has problems. And I'll have a think.
No joy so far I'm afraid. I am loath to download and install anything new just yet. We've done everything else suggested: uninstalled, installed on start up, checked all loaded players, checked it is just the DVD drive, i.e. music / moving pictures from HDD are just fine.

I suppose the next (only?) option is to find a new pack (whatever that is), but for now we'll leave it as it is. It was never needed for 3 months and might not be needed again in a long while.

I don't like admitting defeat at this early stage, but I've got a life to get on with and it's not my machine.

Not for the first time, the score is......DE - 0, New Technology - 1.
Dulwich Estate, I have something else to check if you have the time.

The DVD drive should be using DMA (Direct Memory Access) mode to transfer data off the drive. But your laptop might some how reverted to using the much slower PIO mode - which requires CPU time. A possible reason for reverting to PIO mode is when there have been 6 DMA timeout errors - e.g. reading a scratched disk! Or DMA just not be enabled in the BIOS for the second IDE port used for the DVD drive.

If this has happened, removing the drive makes no difference. Removing the IDE port via Device Manager might though but first can you check what data transfer mode is being used.

So open Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI and check properties of the interfaces under Advanced Properties. Does it say PIO mode for the DVD drive by any chance? If so it can be fixed.

AVG upgrade/replacement? - andymc {P}
Hi folks,
I'm staying with my dad at the moment and am trying to help him with some problems he's been having on this PC (again!) before I leave tomorrow - not that I'm in any way an expert, it's just I'm a bit more capable than he is! Anyway, as well as what I'm working on, something additional has now cropped up - when I switched the machine on today a notice appeared, saying that the AVG Free Edition I installed for him around a year ago is about to expire in a couple of weeks time and I can "click here" to upgrade to the paid-for edition.
Does this mean that AVG is only ever free for a year? Assuming this to be the case, if I uninstall and re-install AVG, will it be valid for another year? Or should I forget about AVG and install a different AV programme? If so, any suggestions for a free alternative?
NB I have tried browsing the FAQs on the AVG website without yet finding anything to clarify this, but I'm a bit stuck for time, so am shortcutting to here!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
AVG upgrade/replacement? - Dalglish
>>... I have tried browsing the FAQs on the AVG website without yet finding anything to clarify this, ..

a number of people have been caught out by that. including our dynamicdave himself.
see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=46336&...e
and the solution:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=46336&...e

you may also wish to consider changing to the free kaspersky-aol branded version (which is free and the the kaspersky's own is claimed by some to be the best paid for av you can buy).

AVG upgrade/replacement? - Dalglish
... consider changing to the free kaspersky-aol branded version ..

news.com.com/AOL+offers+free+antivirus+software/21...l

AOL has introduced free antivirus software that is likely to become the highest-profile alternative to security software you pay for. .... .....
The protective tool is being delivered in partnership with Kaspersky Lab, a well-respected Russian antivirus software maker. .....

AVG upgrade/replacement? - fossyant
Oh my, not just the AOL software taking over your PC, their Anti virus will too....... arghhh !
AVG upgrade/replacement? - Pezzer
andy, used to use AVG myself, but after a similar issue and many recommendations on here(TVM if I recall) I swapped to Avast (free) and havent had any problems

h t tp://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

hth
P
AVG upgrade/replacement? - Rumfitt
Just switch to the 'new' free version of AVG - 7.5 I think. There are straightforward instructions to upgrade from the previous version and it works exactly as before, pretty unobtrusively and 100% free :-)

I agree though that the pop-up message saying AVG were discontinuing the previous version was very sneaky, and designed to boost sales of their paid for products. AVG seem to have expanded their commercial offering to include anti-adware/spyware, hence the warning that the old version will be discontinued.

AVG upgrade/replacement? - drbe
I changed to Avast! several months ago on the recommendation of BRers (Stuartli in particular, I think - thanks stuartli) and am very pleased.

It does what it says on the tin.

Did I mention that it's free?
AVG upgrade/replacement? - andymc {P}
Cheers guys, got sorted with AVG 7.5 in the end. Thanks very much for the quick replies which allowed me to get on with the other stuff. Managed to sort out those problems too before I came home, Dad now thinks I'm some sort of computer genius. Ho ho ho ...
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
AVG upgrade/replacement? - Stuartli
>>Dad now thinks I'm some sort of computer genius.>>

Keep up the good work...:-)
AVG upgrade/replacement? - Victorbox
The new AVG free AntiSpyware seems to be pretty good too. It is for XP / 2000 only though. I'm running both on an old Pentium 3 866 Mhz and they both work fine. free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-spyware-free/lng/us/...5

AVG upgrade/replacement? - bell boy
thanks for the prompt that the updated AVG 7.5 is free chaps as i hadn't read the terms and assumed i was going to have to pay.
Im still annoyed that my main computer cost me lotsa money but microsoft insist its a copied disc and wont let me upgrade their defender without giving them a lump of money (no wonder so many innocent people hate them)
AVG upgrade/replacement? - Martin Devon
Just google AVG UPGRADE. I think it is version 7 and follow the prompts. I am quite comp' thick and I got it. And it works a treat.

Very best regards..................MD.
Laptop Problems - Fullchat
Just bought 2 lower end of the range Acer laptops for the kids. XP Multimedia operating system. Dumped Norton and replaced with Avast and loaded Microsoft Works Office 2003 add on. Updated and IE 7 installed along with all the other updates. Running on Belkin wireless network.
One of the laptops is working perfectly, the other is causing problems. Initially had trouble connecting but after going back prior to all the upgrades and reinstalling it seems to be better.
However it is still causing problems.

Going onto this web site I will get one page either home or straight into discussion. Try to move and get kicked straight out of IE with an error report. Up to now its mentioned msvcrt.dll and ntdll.dll.

Burnt some serious midnight oil last night.

Any ideas?

--
Fullchat
Sorry should have changed title to Laptop Problems or wheres the cheapest place to buy midnight oil?(motoring related!) {Done, and moved to new thread within this thread - DD}
--
Fullchat
Laptop Problems - Stuartli
Download the .DLL files from:

www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcrt

www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ntdll

What's for you won't pass you by
Another way is to use SFC.

Have your XP installation disk handy and then, from Start>Run, type in:

sfc /scannow

and click OK. Note the space before the forward slash.

You may have to insert the disk in your CD/DVD drive. Will take a few minutes to run.
Laptop Problems - maz64
FYI Computer Shopper magazine did an anti-virus software group test in issue June 2006. AVG 7.1 got 4 stars (out of 5), and Avast 4.6 got 1 star.

www.computershopper.co.uk/

and search for avast.
Avast! has now reached Version 4.7.892 - it's always served me and many others well.
Laptop Problems - maz64
issue June 2006. AVG 7.1 got 4 stars (out of 5),

Whoops- sorry, don't know how that ended up in this subject (obviously not my fault :-). Hopefully mods will correct.
John
Thanks Stuartli will try later. Where do you put them when downloaded? Nothing the mods can press the edit button with ;- ).
--
Fullchat
Laptop Problems - AlastairW
Hi Fullchat. I had exactly the same symptoms on this site after buying a new computer. After trying various upgrades the cure seems to have been upgrading to the latest version of Flash from the Adobe website. No problems since. (Touches wood;))
>>upgrading to the latest version of Flash from the Adobe website>>

It might have been because there are different versions of Flash for IE and Firefox etc. See:

www.filehippo.com/software/browsers/
Thanks AlastairW thats done the trick!
--
Fullchat
GIMP v Photoshop - cheddar
Anyone used GIMP, any opinions?

www.gimp.org/

Thanks.
GIMP v Photoshop - AshT
Yes, I use Gimp - not an expert on it, or any other graphics package, but it does what I need, resizing / trimming photo files, editing out redeye, etc. I've not used Photoshop, so I can't offer a comparisom, but Gimp's easy enough to use, and does what I need.
GIMP v Photoshop - Baskerville
Yes, I use GIMP on Linux and Mac. I'm not a graphics expert by any means and both it and Photoshop are way beyond what I need, but it works well for me. It doesn't bother me, but the biggest complaint I hear is about the UI, especially in comparison with Photoshop. If you're familiar with Photoshop, try GimpShop, which is GIMP made to work like Photoshop:

www.gimpshop.net/

While you're at it, check out Scribus for doing page layout. I use this one a lot and it is very, very good:

www.scribus.net/
Video editing software, Imagemixer etc - cheddar
Hi,

I have had a 1.3Mp JVC DV camcorder for about a year though have not got around to video editing, the supplied software is Imagemixer 1.7.

Is Imagemixer OK?

Are there better products out there, freeware etc?

I have thought about Adobe Premier Elements, is it worth the investment?

Many thanks.
Installing HP psc 1317 ? - Petel
Please forgive if this has been covered before.

Christmas pressie was HP printer/scanner/copier model 1317, for use on my single user, XP Home edition computer. When installing the psc's software onto my XP Home edition it alters the XP to the multiple user front screen, so that, in effect, I am forced to book myself in on my own computer each time I start up. This is a function that I neither need nor want but all my attempts to delete it have failed. I have e-mailed HP with no worthwhile response.

Can anyone please advise how to prevent this change being made on installation, how to delete said function through XP, or to point out if I am missing something simple here?
Thank you.
Installing HP psc 1317 ? - Victorbox
1. Has it created more than one user account in Accounts in Control Panel? Do you see two named log in identities at start-up or just you? Perhaps by mistake it makes the guest account active. Normally only having one named user account & the guest account inactive means no log in requirement.

2. As a temporary fix, if no uninstall is available, you can do a system restore back to just before you installed the HP device to get you back to how you were. Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
Thanks Victorbox.

It has only created one identity and thats me. Uninstall is not a problem as I keep the psc on a separate drive, because it is such a big programme, takes ages to load , makes too many changes to the system and creates more icons that you can shake a stick at.

Was just wondering if someone had seen this before and could offer advise. You may well be right about the guest account being accidentally activated but is there any way I can delete it through XP?
Thanks.
Installing HP psc 1317 ? - Stuartli
See:

www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm
Thanks very much Stewart, will give it a try.
Rgds.
Installing HP psc 1317 ? - Stuartli
Also:

windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
Bringing USB memory stick to life - mike hannon
In order to help a friend by transferring some data I've bought a USB 2gb memory stick. It didn't come with a driver disk or anything. I' ve plugged it in and the computer recognises it's there and originally asked for a driver. It now says 'no driver necessary or loaded'. I can't see it on the desktop or anywhere so how do I transfer anything onto it? I'm still using W98SE by the way (blush). Hope someone can help this embarrassed user...
Bringing USB memory stick to life - Stuartli
Earlier versions of Windows do require USB drivers - XP installs them automatically when you connect such devices.

Try installing, if you haven't already done so, the Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack (a labour of love by the author), which will bring 98SE right up to date to the point where Microsoft ceased support:

exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

PS

There's more USB help for 98SE and other versions of Windows at:

www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm
Thanks v much for that. I downloaded (at great length cos I'm still dial-up here) the big update but - still no driver.
I'll try the usbman...
Bringing USB memory stick to life - buzbee
You need to install the driver for the USB memory stick you are using. Go to the manufacturer's website and download it and install it and it will/should then work. Try not to buy too many different makes of USB memory so as to limit the number of drivers you will need. I have used two makes on an updated 98SE PC as described.
Been to the manufacturer's site and downloaded the driver for their new product of which they are very proud! (Emtec/Intuix). Trouble is, it still doesn't work. All I seem to have in the folder downloaded is a couple of .inf files that come up as empty when Notepad opens them. Any more ideas would be very welcome.
Bringing USB memory stick to life - Dalglish
.. All I seem to have in the folder downloaded is a couple of .inf files ..

the driver files (over 5megabytes in size) are here:
www.emtec-rps.com/download_folder/v233r001.zip
(link from www.emtec-international.com/page.asp?idRub=2&idSou...7 )

assuming we are talking of the same product.

Thanks Dalglish, Buzbee, Stuartli - it's working at last. I'm getting too old for all this...
DV video to PC - cheddar
Further to my previous question I have transferred about 45 mins of DV video to my PC from my 1.3Mp JVC DV camcorder using Imagemixer 1.7, this has generated a 1.1Gb file.

Problem #1: The video play back quality in either Imagemixer or Media Player is carp (sound seems OK), though it is excellent when played directly from the camcorder onto our widescreen TV.

Problem #2: The sound / video sync is fine for most of the movie though it suddenly goes out of sync by about 1.5 seconds around 25 mins into the 45 min movie. Again the sync is fine if played directly from the camcorder on the TV.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
DV video to PC - geoff1248
Sounds to me as if your PC is struggling to keep up with the speed that the DV camera is sending data. Looks like it is dropping frames in an effort to keep up with the data stream from the camera. A couple of easy fixes which you may already be doing; close down all other applications before capturing to your PC (you don't for example need any anti\virus running while capturing), secondly connect the camera to your PC by firewire.
Your software will also be compressing the data--try using a different compression.
DV video to PC - cheddar
Hi,

The PC is pretty quick, CPU usage was not excessive etc.

IIRC USB 2.0 is theoretically 480 Kbps where as Firewire is only 400, OK in practice Firewire might be slightly faster it surely should not make so much difference?

Thanks.
DV video to PC - rtj70
There are more differences between USB and firewire other than speed. For external Hard Drives, Firewire 400 offers better access time than USB 2 (480Mbs) Try using a Firewire cable to do the transfer you might find a simple solution.

I have never tried transferring video from my Digital camcorder(s) using USB but Firewire has been fine on laptops, an old Athlon 2400+ XP and my current Pentium 4 3.6GHz system.

What spec is the PC?
DV video to PC - Cardew
Have exactly the same problem with USB on a quick PC, firewire is fine though.

I have given up trying to edit though as it is so time consuming. Anyway I like shots of my feet and the inside of the camera bag.
Windows XP O/S - No FM2R
I have a computer which has a legitimate copy of XP. However its broken, quite a lot broken. Ideally I would reload the operating system but I do not have a copy, nor do I have a recovery disk of any description, although I do have other working machines with XP on.

It ideally needs its disks wiped and the O/S installed from scratch, although I guess a repair may work. It can't make it any worse. There is no data on the machine which needs to be preserved.

The broken one has no internet access or network access, or anything much other than I can use a memory stick or CD/DVD.

Bright ideas ?

Can you download XP from anywhere ? Can you download repair disks ?

The machine has to remain XP so alternative OS suggestions are not relevant.

Windows XP O/S - JH
Sorry FM2R but you're stuck. I've been there. Disk started to die on me. Before it was totally dead I tried the "Recovery" disk which reported that it didn't recognise the config and went off and sulked. So now I won't buy a machine unless it comes with an installation disk.

Assuming that you have the sticker on your machine showing the licence nbr then you could borrow an installation CD. Alternatively you'll have to buy a copy. You might be able to buy an OEM copy costing in the mid £60s from memory.

Good luck.
JH
Windows XP O/S - Another John H
I guess a system restore was no help then?

If the problem one has a fully populated i386 directory you could try this

www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

which will do a System File Check and replace damaged Windows system files.

That diectory may exist on another machine of yours and at 475 Meg a half decent USB stick could be used to copy it across.

Windows XP O/S - Stuartli
>>That diectory may exist on another machine of yours>>

This would have been one suggestion I would have made - in fact it (hopefully) might already be on the system in question from WINDOWS>Drivers Cache.
Windows XP O/S - Dalglish
1. >> I have a computer which has a legitimate copy of XP. ...

presumably you therefore have hte genuine key. in which case any cd with a copy of the xp version (home, pro, corporate, whatever) you have on your machine will do. do not any of your "mates" (or ask adam) at work have a copy they can lend you? see reply by "Dan at IT Associates " here
forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=...5

2. >> ... Can you download XP from anywhere ? Can you download repair disks ?
if the answer to the first part is no, and you really do mean anywhere then there are free warez sources you can find using google. however, i do not know of any free legitimate source. however, you may be able to buy legit oem disc at places such as www.cex.co.uk

in reply to oldman from his earlier post:
AVG upgrade/replacement? - oldman Sat 30 Dec 06 14:42
... Im still annoyed that my main computer cost me lotsa money but microsoft insist its a copied disc and
wont let me upgrade their defender without giving them a lump of money ...

if oldman does have a legit machine, he can get replacement free xp cd from microsoft
Microsoft is fully committed to helping any genuine customers who have been victims of counterfeit software, and offer free replacement copies of Windows to those who?ve been duped by high quality counterfeiters. As always people can find more information about what Microsoft is doing at the genuine site as well as our ?How to Tell? and ?Piracy? sites.
follow their guidance at
www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/uk/prepurcha...x
forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumI...5

Windows XP O/S - rtj70
Dalglish,

A corporate version of Windows is different to retail/OEM and so are the keys. OP needs a retail copy to use a copy of Windows retail with the key listed on the sticker on the PC.
A corporate version of Windows is different to retail/OEM and so are the keys . OP needs a retail copy to use
a copy of Windows retail with the key listed on the sticker on the PC.

i know, and the point i was making was that no_fm2r needs to get hold of a copy cd of the exact same version as is currently on his knackered machine, i.e. home, pro, corp, media or o.e.m or whatever.
Non offensive non-necessary personal information removed. smokie

Windows XP O/S - rtj70
Dalglish

I was responding to facts in OP post, i.e. he did not have the install media. It sounds like a home PC and therefore corporate installs on a home not really legal and lets not go there. If it was supported by his company/employer then he'd have not posted would he? Therefore it is a personal PC and he needs to get hold of the install media.

The easiest option is to check what version he is licensed for (Home or Professional) and as you say borrow the media from somone. Not legal. If he did a clean install on the same hardware then at registration point for XP all should be okay.

As I say since he has not specified version I have and I think we should assume not corporate or he'd get the IT department to sort it for free. But no-one should not be calling on IT departments to sort out a home PC and no_fm2r seems to be asking us for help. Heck if he lived near Stockport I could probably loan the CD.... Home, Prof or Corporate (I work in IT).
... as you say borrow the media from somone. Not legal. ...

rtj70 -
it is perfectly legal to use any copy of cd to reinstall files. you will find this method sugested on the microsoft official forum, and indeed in the link posted in my first reply. it is not legal to use the key/pid.

( as for the other points, they are a diversion from a misunderstanding of my origianl reply. )

Windows XP O/S - SjB {P}
In a loosly related vein, I read yesterday of a change of tack that Microsoft has introduced with Vista; no longer is it possibly to transfer a copy of of the operating system ad infinitum between machines, say as a result of HDD failures or simply buying a new PC and disposing of the old one sans o/s. Such transferring is only possible once.

news.com.com/Microsoft+limits+Vista+transfers/2100...l
Windows XP O/S - JH
S
it's far more complicated than that, and in part you're right but I believe that if you pay full whack for a retail version (ie go in the shop, hand over lots of money) then you can do what you want with it. An OEM copy, ie one that comes with a m/c is tied to that m/c. But it is needlessly complicated so if you know better I'll duck!
JH
.. no_fm2r needs to get hold of a copy cd of the exact same version as is currently on his knackered machine

possible sources for restore-cds:
www.gennersales.co.uk/#Windows_Recovery_CDs
www.restoredisks.com/
if oldman does have a legit machine, he can get replacement free xp cd from microsoft...

oldman:

Windows XP O/S - No FM2R
1) thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
2) Its not a work machine, or someone would get a call. Its not even mine, because they still might get a call. Its a friend's personal machine

Dalglish - thanks, I shall get him a recovery disk in the near future.

All: had a bit of a brainwave; SP" replaces a *load* of files. I dropped SP2 onto stick, and upadted the dodgy machine. Lo and there was light - stroke of luck although slightly irritating in that I prefer to fix things. However, it obviously nailed many of the dodgy files as the machine worked long enough to get various spyware/various checkers to run and all is more rosy. [Although the SP2 update failed about 5 times before finally completing.

Now, here's the last hurdle - no internet connectivity. Random stuff what I know/have worked out;

The broadband connection works since the other laptop next to it is connecting out.

All connection settings and LAN settings seem to be the same, although I may well have missed something

bad machien acquires the correct ip addreses as seen in ipconfig

Pinging good machine to bad machine times out

Pinging bad machine to good machine results in "PING: transmit failed, error code 5"

good machine can ping itself

bad machine attempting to ping itself results in "PING: transmit failed, error code 5"

Internet Explorer is detecting that there is a connection there since it stops trying to dial a connection, however it cannot connect to anything, not even the router.

bad machine now seems stable, everything else seems to work

TCP/IP REPAIR shareware failed to make any difference

Can't find anything relevant on Google other than .............

www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q...l

...........which requires signing up and a credit card to get an answer. Definitely last resort.

Any steers, random thoughts, clues, pointers anything at all, appreciated.
Now, here's the last hurdle - no internet connectivity. Random stuff
what I know/have worked out;
The broadband connection works since the other laptop next to it
is connecting out.
All connection settings and LAN settings seem to be the same,
although I may well have missed something
bad machien acquires the correct ip addreses as seen in ipconfig
Pinging good machine to bad machine times out
good machine can ping itself
bad machine attempting to ping itself results in "PING: transmit failed,
error code 5"
Internet Explorer is detecting that there is a connection there since
it stops trying to dial a connection, however it cannot connect
to anything, not even the router.

A couple of things from me:

the firewall is changed in SP2 and can stop connections out as well as into the machine

check the properties of your network connection - make sure it is enabled.
I've seen an XP machine which got into "difficulties" disable its network connection.
>>the firewall is changed in SP2 and can stop connections out as well as into the machine>>

The SP2 Windows firewall only works one way, which is why the free version of ZoneAlarm is the choice of many (disable the Windows firewall if you use another firewall).

As you have installed SP2, you still need to bring the system right up to date with SP2 patches, updates, critical updates etc.

Easiest way is to use AutoPatcher (latest version) from:

www.autopatcher.com
Can't find anything relevant on Google other than .............
www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q...l
...........which requires signing up and a credit card to get an answer. Definitely last resort.

no_fm2r: i just tried that link, and it opens up in full for me without having to click the "view solution" button. top one-sixth is the question, next one-sixth is their adware, then the final two-thirds of the page is responses plus the "accepted" expert solution.
>>these are 64 QAM broadcasts notorious for break up problems.>>

In fairness I and a lot of other people have been caught out by this website, thinking you have to subscribe to see possible solutions...:-)

However, the layout is a little different to what I remember.

>>no_fm2r: i just tried that link,>>

Wrong C and P for quote in above posting...:-(
Windows XP O/S - No FM2R
Still getting that error 5.

Followed every link mentioned above, tried all tactics, routes and solutions.

The computer absolutely knows that the connection is there, but it won't use it. Slightly at a loss right now.
Windows XP O/S - Altea Ego
Ok well you have the TCPIP software stack (layer) and the hardware layer.

To prove the software stack try pinging 127.0.0.1' (the local loop back) from the defective machine. If that fails your TCPIP stack is defective. If it works its probably hardware (or hardware settings)

Check you have the adaptor set to duplex and the correct speed (Network connections-right click/properties/advanced)

I have had very similar problems from a defective cable, defective card, or defective (or badly configured) port on router.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Windows XP O/S - No FM2R
>>To prove the software stack try pinging 127.0.0.1' (the local loop back) from the defective machine

It works. Which is a surprise, albeit welcome. Which settings ? If I pull the cable from that laptop and plug it into another it works immediately. Comparing the LAN settings and the TCP/IP settings I cannot find a difference. Hints ?

I'm on as Administrator. No Firewalls enabled.

M.

p.s. ICF ?
Windows XP O/S - Altea Ego
ICF = internet connection firewall. (or the inter city firm! 6-0! jesus!)

Ok so the local loopback pinging means the TCPIP doftware stack is ok, but may not be bound to the hardware.

The hardware settings you need to check are duplex and speed. make sure its full duplex, and fix a speed (for diagnosis dont let it auto negotiate speed) try 10mbs first then 100mbs. What link lights do you get?

YOu have excluded the cable and router port, I am leaning towards a TCPIP adaptor hardware failure. Try logically removing it from windows and let windows find it again and reload drivers (and a new interupt)

quick question, your router is not blocking it by only allowing certain mac addresses?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Windows XP O/S - No FM2R
>>your router is not blocking it by only allowing certain mac addresses?

No.

>>he hardware settings you need to check are duplex and speed. make sure its full duplex, and fix a speed

Got a number of choices. 10 half, 10 full, 100 half, 100 full, AutoMode. Was on Auto Mode, then 10 Full, now on 100 full. No change/difference.

Link lights ?

>>Try logically removing it from windows and let windows find it again and reload drivers (and a new interupt)

A little more specific ?
Windows XP O/S - No FM2R
>>Try logically removing it from windows and let windows find it again and reload drivers

well, flip me sideways with the rough edge of a pineapple.

I guess that's a significant amount of beer owed then.

Thank you one and all for your efforts. I learned a lot, fixed the problem and got in debt to TVM. Mixed blessings.
>>fixed the problem and got in debt to TVM.>>

Now you are really in trouble...:-)
Windows XP O/S - No FM2R
>>defective cable, defective card, or defective (or badly configured) port on router

defective cable - not
defective card - don't think so, but possible
defective (or badly configured) port on router - not
Still getting that error 5.
Followed every link mentioned above, tried all tactics, routes and solutions.
The computer absolutely knows that the connection is there, but it
won't use it. Slightly at a loss right now.

Have you tried disabling the (ICF) firewall?

Are you logged on with administrative rights?

Aol autofix not working - or Explorer - Vansboy
Hi All!

Last couple of weeks, both explorer (not that we ever use it) & AOL have been telling us to clik on their system auto upgrades.

Done this & now.... Explorer wont work - has to close after around 1minute & thats it!

AOL on the other hand, when it displays an Autofix, this too only gets just into the procedure, then cancels, telling us that 'due to changes...' it can't procede!!

So should we be doing something else - even thought of removing explorer, in case that's causing the problem - is this wise, as we do have Firefox, too & that's fine?

Any thoghts appreciated - thanks in advance!!

VB
Aol autofix not working - or Explorer - Stuartli
You can revert back to Internet Explorer6 via Add/Remove Programs.

in any case personal preference is for Firefox.

One of my offspring, an IT network and support consultant, once advised me never to allow AOL or a Norton product within a mile of my system...:-)
Aol autofix not working - or Explorer - LeePower
Im stuffed then, been an AOL & Norton customer for over 5 years without any trouble from either.
Aol autofix not working - or Explorer - Dalglish
.. been an AOL & Norton customer for over 5 years without any trouble from either.

and millions of others !
Aol autofix not working - or Explorer - Baskerville
It's not so much that this software breaks things; rather it takes over the machine at a deep level, gives control of certain aspects of the machine to a third party, and is difficult to remove. Whether you think that is "trouble" is a matter of personal preference. Personally I'd rather be in control of the machines and the software I use, rather than "lease" them from a vendor who may decide to change their functionality in bad ways without telling me. Or who gives me crippled "restore" disks, or no disks at all, or holds me to ransom when the free trial expires, or forces me to contact them when I install a new harddrive or want to pick my nose with my middle finger for a change. And who generally considers me a thief. But still many people think all that is no trouble, so what do I know? [rant over]
Strangely enough I had to sort out a elderly friend's NortonAV 2006 yesterday morning - the person who had installed it for her as a gift couldn't remove it when the original period of use expired (she didn't want to pay a lump sum out for a new subscription).

As a result the system was left in an unusable state...:-(

NortonAV 2006 has now been sent packing.

I'm aware a lot of people use both AOL and Norton products successfully, but a very large number do have problems.
Aol autofix not working - or Explorer - Vansboy
Thanks for that - I'll get Mrs V doing some clikin n stuff & see what happens!

& I've heard the comments about AOL from lots of people who 'know' about computers, but it's always been OK for us, previously. Also when we did have problems - not AOL fault, really helpful on their free fone line - it's not a rip off help number even now!!

VB
Aol autofix not working - or Explorer - LeePower
Only time I ever get problems connecting with AOL its always been BT fiddling with the exchange down the end of the road.
The reason, in both cases, is exactly as Baskerville details it...:-)
Aol autofix not working - or Explorer - Armitage Shanks {p}
Vansboy - please post details of the AOL free support line - SFAIK it has been an 0870 or and 0845 for nearly a year!
Aol autofix not working - or Explorer - smokie
AS (and others) - this site has many "landline" numbers for 0870 and 0845 numbers. www.saynoto0870.com/.

AOL have a landline and an 0800, so it says.
Thanks Smokie - not for AOL so far as I can see. I did find an 01 number there for a PC World support line though, which saved me a fortune - it is a good site plus now has the ability for private individuals to post numbers that they find, not just the site owners.
Smokie - cringing, grovelling apologies from AS! You are correct and I am WRONG. There is an 0800 alternative to the 0870.
AOL Freephone - Armitage Shanks {p}
Smokie - grovelling apology from AS! There is a freephone number for AOL and it is on the 0870 site!
Acoustic Energy WiFi radio won't boot - SjB {P}
To conclude www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47594&...e

I spoke to Acoustic Energy support, who explained that they have had a number of these products hang during firmware download. No specific serial number range, just "at random". Having started the download, I was doomed and the box is now knackered. No "reboot" option exists and they don't bother with a "back to base" reflash.

Solution is to go back to John Lewis from where it was purchased, and apparently on explaining the problem it will be replaced without quibble for this "known issue".

The question is "do I dare try another firmware flash?!" as the new box will almost certainly still come with release 198 but 225 is the latest release and the missus would still like the features of the newer one!
Acoustic Energy WiFi radio won't boot - Altea Ego
>explaining the problem it will be replaced without quibble for this "known issue".

Frankly I would have my money back. It obviously sounds very flakey. Support does not sound much better

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Acoustic Energy WiFi radio won't boot - SjB {P}
>explaining the problem it will be replaced without quibble for this
"known issue".
Frankly I would have my money back. It obviously sounds
very flakey. Support does not sound much better
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

A trawl of the web over the hols shows it is not just this product that has problems but rather pretty well all those that use the same licenced software engine that I'm not about to name. (actually this begs the question "aesthetics aside, is there actually a best product since they all have the same brain and many will be used - like ours - with line out feed to another amplifier and speakers?").

As an aside; if I'm honest, the only reason I could set it up and get it working in the first place was because I know what I'm doing with a wireless enabled broadband connection and so knew where to look for primary and secondary DNS server IP addresses, the WEP key, and the like; my father aside, nobody else in my family would have had a clue what to do, and IMO this technology is still firmly in geek land; until we have a "synch" button on a wireless router and another "synch" button on something to connect with it (ie equivalent to how my wireless mouse & keyboard connect with their radio bub), consumer addons using 802.11 technology will never be plug and play.

Rant over, when it worked it was terrific ("tuning" just like a normal radio) so I am prepared to give it another crack of the whip.