MGF value - stunorthants26
My sisters selling her MGF privately and has no idea what to advertise it for - shes not after a quick sale, but the best attainable price.

Its a 2001 51 plate MGF VVC with 23k and full MG SH in a good metallic colour and dark leather, plus some of the cosmetic option packs.

Its a two owner car and is in excellent condition plus having had the cambelt done, its not got any big services looming - I know its the wrong time of year to sell it, but sister knows best!

Its going to be taken off the road and cleaned throughly and then sold with a fresh MOT and service.
The values seem to vary quite alot and as one MG owners club member said to me, there arent many 51 plate MGFs about as that was the crossover with the TF, which makes it even harder to gauge.

What is the top price that she can hope for given its about as good as an MGF gets condition and saleability wise, for someone who has the time to wait rather than rush it out cheap for a quick sale?

The guides are putting it at around 5 grand with the below average mileage, but thats only the guides and they are often wrong!
MGF value - steve242000
Genrally the best way is to ignore the guides and have a trawl through the autotrader website etc and see what similar cars to your sister are being advertised for. I should imagine your sisters will stand out as it has great mileage (there are people out there who buy purely on milage) and sounds like it has a good spec, but it still needs to be comparable to others available. If shes not after a quick sale it might we worth holding on a month or so, until early spring as this is often the best time to sell a convertible.
I have said that to my sister, but shes 25 and thinks she knows everything lol - she has decided she wants this Ford Puma now and theres no changing her mind!

Shes borrowing the money from a relative to buy the Puma and then the pressure is on me to sell her MG lol - Happy New Year me! Trying to sell a convertible in the coldest month of the year - it usually snows here in Jan!
MGF value - steve242000
Looks like she might be needing the quick sale after all! Good luck - let us know how you get on.
Not a quick sale especially, but I told her that if she gave me the car, I could shift it in 28 days lol - ive never failed yet with a car, but will have to pull out all the stops to get it moved on I think.

Think ive dug myself a hole there!
MGF value - DavidHM
On the Trader, you could get very close for £5k from a dealer although there are people asking quite a lot more - I suppose this is the Rover effect - a mixture of sellers wanting to get shot to a canny buyer, and buyers willing to pay any price for a 'bargain' from a canny seller.

I wouldn't say £5,500 was unobtainable, if you're patient, although I'd be prepared to let it go for £4,500 if I wanted rid.
MGF value - R75
A mate of mine has just got an MG, I think it was a 51 plate, but may have been a year or 2 older, he managed to get it for £4300, we went to look at quite a few and the ones the dealers were selling were a bit ropey for about 500 to a 1k more - lots of worn seats etc. His has a FSH and under 30k on the clock, and is in very, very good condition, right time to buy them, wrong time to be selling them!!!
Well I was looking at getting £5000 with a starting price at £5395 which would bring it in line with the three guide prices ive got - since there wont be any big hurry, I think its a reasonable aim.

Its very true that MG's often have worn interiors and can get very tatty - I learnt how to valet on Rovers and MGs so ive seen just about every model and condition there is - unfortunatly, MG seats are especially prone to stains and the piping coming adrift, plus carpets that wear through under the accelerator and come adrift in the footwells - great kit car by all accounts!

Ive been very strict with my sister about hers and also in the first place when she bought it as we saw some real dogs, but hers was a well-loved MG owners club regular which had been kept spotless, so it made a very sensible buy with desirable spec - basic cloth interior cars in solid colours ( or orange or gold ) are a nightmare to sell whereas a well-optioned VVC's in a nice metallics tends to shift very quick in comparison.
MGF value - MVP
Why not try a 2 week auction on EBay?

This is the best way to find the "real" value and will probably be cheaper than adds in Autotrader.
Ive had three auctions with cars on Ebay that failed to meet reserve and then easily sold them on Autotrader for far more money. Ebay is great for the unusual stuff, but not for mainstream.

I had a 1994 Astra Van - Ebay got to £400 but acheived £800 in private sale.
I had a Toyota Yaris - got to £3600 on Ebay, but got £4750 in private sale.
Finally had a Reliant Rialto - got to £300 on Ebay but sold it privately when the buyer let me down for £535.

Needless to say, I dont have a high opinion of Ebay's usefulness for selling cars at good prices.

Ive never had a car that failed to sell on Autotrader and have had far less idiot buyers from it too.
MGF value - steve242000
I work in the trade and we have found pretty much the same as you. You can get a fortune sometimes for an old shed which our normal traders think are only worth scraping, but the normal focus's at 7999 etc, we dont get a sniff on. Only exception to that is rarer stuff. Put a Fiesta Zetec-s tdci on there and sold it withn 3 days. I always think a car is salable if there is someone looking for it.