Toyota Verso or Avensis Diesels - a900ss
Hi,

If you have a Toyota diesel Avensis or Verso, could you please let me know how many MPH it pulls at 1000rpm in top gear?

I am interested in both 2.0 and 2.2 Avensis's and the 2.2 Verso's.

Thanks
Toyota Verso or Avensis Diesels - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
I have a 2.2 D4-D Avensis - 6th @ 60mph is about 1700rpm, 70mph is around the 2000rpm mark. So I guess 1000rpm in top would be about 35mph, not that I would want to drive in 6th at that speed :).
Toyota Verso or Avensis Diesels - cheddar
Might be of interest:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=44773&...f
Thanks for that.
Toyota Verso or Avensis Diesels - rtj70
Can I ask why you'd want to drive in top gear with only 1000 rpm? Assume you're trying to work out what rpm for other speeds in top? The turbo would not be upto speed and it would struggle to move I'd have thought at that low rpm.
Toyota Verso or Avensis Diesels - Avant
"Can I ask why you'd want to drive in top gear with only 1000 rpm"

You wouldn't - but as you suggest it's a useful measure of how fast the engine is turning in top gear at motorway speeds. The Honda Jazz's only serious failing is to be too low-geared in top and thus less relaxed than other cars at 70-80 mph (even the Ford Ka is more relaxed).

I tried a Verso D-4-D 140 bhp on an extended test run (thank you Octagon of Bracknell): I didn't have time to try a 180 as I was trying a Prius as well, but the saleslady has driven both and thought that most of the extra power was at the top end. You pay a lot more for a 180 (about £2,000) : with the Verso that's mainly the TV screens in the backs of the seats - not sure why with the Avensis. You need to try both - it may be that the extra benefit is marginal.

Cheddar's post on the other thread was interesting - the black-and-white-merchants have him down as a Ford freak but he is just showing, quite fairly, that the low-down torque in the TDCI is worth having. It's the reason why many of us drive diesels. The statistic about the rpm at which a engine delivers maximum torque is worth looking out for.
Thanks for all your help>> Can I ask why you'd want to drive in top gear
with only 1000 rpm? Assume you're trying to work out what
rpm for other speeds in top? The turbo would not be
upto speed and it would struggle to move I'd have thought
at that low rpm.

The previous poster has answered your question for me, although I don't drive at 1000 RPM, it gives me an indication of what the car will be like on the motorway at 75-80MPH where I spend most of my time.

Where the torque comes in is very important. Currently I have a 320d touring and if I am just relaxing, it can go along single A roads at about 50-55MPH on the cruise control with no problems in 6th gear. This is pulling approx 1600-1750 RPM and is fine.

I will be changing my car soon and am looking for a car that is still driveable in top gear at 55-60MPH along A-roads with crusie control on. On my BMW putting the crusie control on at a set-speed delivers the best fuel economy for me. Even if I try to hold a steady speed without the cruise control on, I can't match the economy that the crusie delivers.

I'm looking for a family car that can deliver maximum economy (40,000 miles per year) and still offer a fairly lazy drive. My BMW fits the bill perfectly but a new job that I am taking doesn't have the company car budget that I currently have. I'm therefore looking at various cars including:

Avensis Estate
Verso
Accord Estate
Focus/Mondeo Estate
Vectra Estate
Laguna Estate
Passat Estate
Touran
B-Class

as well as others!!!!

PS - I forgot to mention, the car MUST have a big boot. I don;t really care about back seat space as long as there is space for a baby. Boot space is important to me.
Toyota Verso or Avensis Diesels - mlj
In which case an Octavia estate with the 2.0 diesel must be worth a look.
Toyota Verso or Avensis Diesels - cheddar
VAG diesels will lack refinement after a 320d, as would perhaps the B-Class, the Vaux / Saabs will lack torque in comparison as will the Toyotas below 2000rpm, sadly Laguna reliability is suspect, not as good as smaller Renaults, if boot space is the main concern a Mondeo estate fits the bill though for me while the hatch / saloon are fine the estate is just to lard asred, likewise the Accord tourer which is BAA long and wide though not very high, I would prefer a sports tourer in the 3-series/A4 mould or a 5dr hatch.
I have to agree that the 320d is a great car, maybe almost perfect. Only problem is that it is too small and now over my budget when it comes to change in March.

It is always going to be a problem moving from the 320d 'downwards' but I just have to accept it.
Toyota Verso or Avensis Diesels - mlj
Have you considered a Mazda 6? Huge boot and choice of two oil burners.
Toyota Verso or Avensis Diesels - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
It is always going to be a problem moving from the
320d 'downwards' but I just have to accept it.

There's an ex-320d driver on the Avensis forum who seems very happy with his T180 - praises it for petrol-like refinement, zero smoke (unlike the beemer apparently), zero oil consumption etc. Also the engine hasn't blown up as his 320d did :).

I'd echo all the comments for the 150bhp 2.2 - but can't make any comparisons with a 320d, although I'd imagine the Beemer would be livelier.
Toyota Verso or Avensis Diesels - Avant
Your shortlist plus the Octavia 2.0 TDI and Mazda 6, as MLJ suggests, should find you something you like. Also have a look at an Audi A4 Avant - the boot may not be big enough although it's a bit bigger than a 320d (deeper because it has FWD).

Don't have a B-class diesel unless you can put up with the noise. I got a good finance deal on mine but it's absurdly unrefined for a £21,000 car.