LED brake lights - PeterRed
I sat behind a recent Merc S-Class the other day which had LED lights. We were in stop-start traffic in broad daylight and he was using his foot brake nearly constantly. The effect on my eyes was not pleasant. It was almost painful. Perhaps Mercedes, BMW, Range Rover etc should investigate better control of these lights in such conditions. I understand the benefit for high-speed braking but not otherwise.
LED brake lights - fossyant
Maybe the driver should be braking more efficiently. IMHO these lamps are better because there are so many idiots that don't see brake lamps anyway, the quicker they light up the better !

I have some after market multi LED bulbs in my rear lamps that work really well, but don't directly dazzle the driver behind as they are angled to use the lamp reflector - it's a replacement bulb, not chav style lights !

They do come on much faster than a conventional bulb !
LED brake lights - George Porge
The merc would have been an auto and he was holding the car on the brakes.
LED brake lights - mss1tw
As much as I love them (Long lasting, very quick to react, etc) I hate them as people just don't realise/care how bright they are.
LED brake lights - Blue {P}
This really seems to be a "Marmite" subject, I have to say that they've never caused me a problem.

My Dad does this in traffic with his Merc too, you don't have a lot of choice in the matter really!

Blue
LED brake lights - Dave N
A couple of 21w bulbs or a row of LED's must be a real pain. How on earth do you manage if you're sat behind a car waiting to turn with one of those flashing amber bulbs in front of you?

It must be very painful if you're at the front at the traffic lights with that bright red light, not to mention all those annoying people coming the other way at night time with a couple of 55w halogen headlights shining in your eyes.
LED brake lights - storme
im just glad i have seen them............surely its better to moan about them being too bright than not bright enough??

lets get real here..be safe ,,be seen..

a moments moaning or a lifetime recovering???

keep up the good work to the car manufacturers..and lets have even more BRIGHT safety features
--
sometimes a little bit too much opinion....but its only because i care !!!
LED brake lights - jase1
My main complaint with some brake lights is that they're not big enough -- they really should be as wide and as high as the manufacturer can manage. Sadly some makes see fit to make them those silly ring setups which are neither use nor ornament.
LED brake lights - George Porge
Yeh, lets have the whole rear screen light up just like a plasma TV.
LED brake lights - jc2
We had a local magistate a few years ago who said in court "If lights dazzle me when I'm driving,I just shut my eyes".
LED brake lights - jase1
Yeh, lets have the whole rear screen light up just like
a plasma TV.

Point is that if you make them physically larger, they're far more noticable than if they're just a number of very bright points of light, as these BMWs/Passats etc seem to be at the moment.

Hyundai have the right idea. Large, almost headlight-sized brake lights on some of their cars. Much more visible. Don't have to be hugely bright.
LED brake lights - Dynamic Dave
I cannot understand why people who complain of bright brake lights when parked up behind someone in a queue of traffic don't simply just look away instead of staring directly at them.
LED brake lights - henry k
>>I cannot understand why people who complain of bright brake lights when ......
Next years Christmas present could be
www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?C=AddonBasketFillers&...2

solves two problems in one go :--)))))
LED brake lights - storme
hahaha welldone henry k.. :):):)
--
sometimes a little bit too much opinion....but its only because i care !!!
LED brake lights - jase1
I cannot understand why people who complain of bright brake lights
when parked up behind someone in a queue of traffic don't
simply just look away instead of staring directly at them.

Whilst I'm not one of those bothered by bright brake lights (fog-lights left on when there's no fog is my bugbear) I'm not sure looking away is the answer. If in a queue of traffic you really want to be watching what's happening further up to avoid the rushed into-gear-jerky-start routine you see many going through (and yes I'm a stickler for handbrake on - footbrake off - out of gear - clutch pedal up when stopped in traffic).
LED brake lights - jase1
> (and yes I'm a stickler for handbrake on - footbrake off - out of gear - clutch pedal up when stopped in traffic).

Meant to say, if everyone did this we wouldn't be having this discussion. I have no time for auto drivers who sit with the brakes on in traffic for more than a few seconds either, they're happily wearing their 'box out unnecessarily and it's lazy and bad practice.
LED brake lights - Dynamic Dave
they're happily wearing their 'box out unnecessarily

Not mine, it drops itself into neutral within 2 seconds of coming to a stop with the brake lights left on.
and it's lazy

Can't argue with that one ;o)