Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - a900ss
Hi,

I need to change my company car but I have just changed contract and now need to pay for all my own fuel (40,000 miles a year worth!!!)

What offers the best real-world economy out of these four?

Citroen C5 estate 2.0Hdi
Renault Laguna Estate 2.0 Dci 150
Vx Vectra estate 1.9 Diesel (150hp)
Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel

PS The french get my initail vote as I can get considrably higher specs with these cars

My real world is mostly motorway driving at 75-80 MPH, my current car, a BMW 320d touring does about 50 MPG

Many thanks

a900ss
Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - Altea Ego
The DCI laguna is very good at maintaining its mpg up into higher motorway speeds.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - kithmo
Here's what I get from my 2005 Mondeo TDCi 130:
Cruising at 75mph (private road obviously ;0) )= 55mpg
Cruising at 65mph = 62mpg
Short journeys (3 mile commute to work) = 40mpg cold weather, 45 mpg summer, moderate driving (not light footed) light traffic mostly.
Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - ForumNeedsModerating
Specific consmuption won't be that different on any of the above if..

"My real world is mostly motorway driving at 75-80 MPH..."

try 61mph, the rest is rather academic. (just keep in fron of the trucks)
Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - Pugugly {P}
"My real world is mostly motorway driving at 75-80 MPH, my current car, a BMW 320d touring does about 50 MPG"

Out of devilment when I read your subject I was going to suggest a 320. Seems my little bit of fun was thwarted. Real world is that these cars are no more expensive to run than other brands (Despite what people may think about dealer prices - can you still get the servicing packages on them ?)
Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - TheOilBurner
I've got the Vectra 1.9 CDTI 150 in hatchback form. Real world economy is 50.6 mpg averaged over 18,000 miles this year, with a mix of mostly busy M-way and some local work etc.

On a long M-way only run when it's quiet and I stick to 70mph, the average mpg will stay above 55mpg quite easily.

I would guess minus 1-2 mpg for the estate version.

On the few occasions I've driven a tank almost exclusively round town, the economy will be in the mid-40s.

So far, I'm up to 35,000 miles at two years old and zero faults to report so far.
Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - oldtoffee
Might be worth checking the gearing on each car to see how many mph per 1,000 rpm each one does in top. A higher mph will give you better economy especially when "cruising" on the motorway.
Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - kithmo
Mondeo does around 36mph per 1000 rpm in 6th gear.
Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - George Porge
If the gearing was too tall then you'd have to depress the accelerator more to maintain your speed (a little like when you climb a hill), the heavier on the gas pedal the more gas used.

Some remarkable MPG figures being quoted at 70 - 80MPH from largish saloon cars, I don't think my Golf TDi's could match them.
Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - Avant
"On the few occasions I've driven a tank almost exclusively round town, the economy will be in the mid-40s."

That's not bad round town - perhaps a900ss should add a Volvo to the list...:)
Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - a900ss
Can I just throw in a leftfield question?

The Vectra 150 diesel returns 48.7 on the official combined cycle, the Saab 9.5 estate only returns 41.5. That is a huge difference in what is the same engine in a similar sized car of similar weights. Would this differnce shrink on the motorway (75-80)?

I can get a Saab 9-5 on my lease budget, they appear to be very cheap to lease buy economy is the big issue. Would the Saab return near 50MPG like the Vectra would?

Thanks again

a900ss
Which offers the best 'Real World' econo - TheOilBurner
Just for info (you might know aleady?): The 9-5 and current Vectra (Vectra-C) aren't directly comparable cars. The 9-5 is (depending on who you ask) an evolution of the old Saab 9000 and the old Vectra B (the infamous hated one). The current Saab 9-3 is the same platform as the Vectra-C, but still not an identical car, but quite close.

Exactly why the 9-5 is so much worse, I don't know because it's actually lighter than the Vectra! It must have a different gear box or ratios I would guess. The Vectra also has a very low drag co-efficient.

The Saab fuel economy split is 30/50mpg urban/extra urban, compared to the Vectra which is 37/58. So I would guess that at 70mph+ the Vectra would still have the upper hand.
Hope that helps! :)