Tracing trade plates - Vin {P}
A nearby delaership appears to use my road as a speed test track. Today I managed to note the trade plates of a car as it howled past. The dealership refused to tell me if the plates were theirs (which makes me more than a little suspicious, along with the fact that it was one of their brand of vehicles).

Where can I find this information? I'm sure it must be kept somewhere. I also presume that the issuers of trade plates may have some clout in whether they get renewed. This is a very regular, very tedious problem, and I'd be interested if this is a route that anyone thinks might bear fruit.

Alternatively, any other suggestions would be welcome.

V

Tracing trade plates - bell boy
a likkle story
a garage near me does the same thing
they lost a plate
i picked it up
i rang the local dvla and explained that i had it and wanted to return it to garage (where are they?) they refused to divulge garage name
i threw plate in bin ( not even made of aluminium these days like mine)
moral of story
go stick plate up managing directors jacksie (please smile while doing it)
sorry no help but i feel better
ring plod
Tracing trade plates - Vin {P}
Thanks, Oldman, that made me laugh out loud.

V

PS, I'm in a good mood anyway because I've just been checking that my son's Scalextric worked (to the extent that even my saint of a wife thought I was overdoing it). It appears to be working, but I may need to make sure it's still working tomorrow.
Tracing trade plates - martint123
Make a note of trade plate number.
Make a pair of cardboard copies.
Hang them over your numberplates.
Drive very fast past as many speed cameras as you can.
Tracing trade plates - yorkiebar
Is it a chain or a single dealership ? Speak to the main branch if a chain ?

Have you spoke to the managing director or dealer principal ?

Failing any joy; plod is probably the best choice !
Tracing trade plates - Pugugly {P}
VOSA possibly these days, It used to the Traffic Commisioners, a letter under the FOI Act will/should get a response.
Tracing trade plates - Simon
Well looking at the facts it is fairly obvious that the plates belong to the local dealership. If it is their 'make' of car and the cars are displaying trade plates then it is almost certainly coming from their dealership. The chances of it being from elsewhere are pretty unlikely. Add to that the fact that the dealership refused to say that they were NOT their plates, then I reckon its a sure thing. Tell them that you are reporting the plates number anyway to the relevant authorities and it just might make them tell their users of the trade plates to slow their speed down somewhat.
Tracing trade plates - local yokel
Ring your local Plod's Traffic Division - they may be happy to pay a social visit on said dealer "just to check everything is alright". I've found Traffic lads to be very helpful so long as it's not you they've just tugged.
Tracing trade plates - autumnboy

What a good idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tracing trade plates - Martin Devon
Make a note of trade plate number.
Make a pair of cardboard copies.
Hang them over your numberplates.
Drive very fast past as many speed cameras as you can.

Just brilliant.

Happy xmas to all.
Tracing trade plates - mrnikko
Trade plates are issued by the dvla in swansea usually with a number that relates to the local authority area e. g. say 123 WT would be issued originally in yorkshire.
Trade plates do not give any immunity from traffic laws in fact the holding of trade plates is restricts you from carring passengers apart from demonstration drives when some-one is interested in buying a car.
First port of call is local police, they will be interested, then dvla they again will be interested however a quick letter to the Managing director dealer principal of the garage stating your intended actions will provide results.
Tracing trade plates - jc2
Not only that,if you record time
and date ,a record must be kept of plate usage so it will show who the driver was.
Tracing trade plates - henry k
Trade plates do not give any immunity from traffic laws in fact the holding of trade plates restricts you from carring passengers apart from demonstration drives when some-one is interested in buying a car.

>>
Furthermore:
A friend of mine was stopped and got a ticket, when on his own, but traveling to a cycle race with his bike onboard.
Tracing trade plates - autumnboy

My previous Message should have been related to "Martin123."

What a good idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracing trade plates - pd
Passengers can be carried using trade plates "providing they are carried in connection with a purpose for which the licence was issued". There is also no requirement to keep a record of when they are used although a large dealership with many drivers would be prudent to do so for the purposes of speed cameras. etc. for any car.

Tracing trade plates - Dynamic Dave
My previous Message should have been related to "Martin123."

Temp change to 'view threaded' and you'll see that it was.