How long to leave new paint before wax - Vin {P}
Got the Jag back yesterday after my prang the other week.

Apart from a drill scratch (about 18" long) on the trim, a misfitting and scratched window, an intermittent electric window fault, something smeared across the instruments and a sticking rear door, all is well.

It's obviously going back to have those faults fettled, but in the meantime, I'm dreaming of the time when I get to polish the (perfect) paintwork. How long does one leave it these days? I generally use the high gloss polish (the wipe on rather than rub on stuff) from Autoglym.

Any views?

V
How long to leave new paint before wax - bell boy
a week in this weather will suffice
longer in summer
That's exactly the opposite of what I'd have expected!

V
How long to leave new paint before wax - Hamsafar
They are likely to have already polished it anyway, they usually buff with cutting compounds polishes, and then a wax or silicone.
They tell me you can do this within hours with modern paints.
How long to leave new paint before wax - Navara Van man
I would wax asap.
How long to leave new paint before wax - alapppy
Most cars have been arounfdfor a while and are waxed prior to handover so go ahead use something really mild and good like carlac

alan
How long to leave new paint before wax - Victorbox
"and then a wax or silicone"

With respect, I don't think a bodyshop will have silcone within a mile of the place.
How long to leave new paint before wax - Kevin
Paint technology has probably improved alot in 20 years but in '87 I was told by a pre-delivery guy at AFN in Reading that I shouldn't polish the car for at least 6 months. The reason was that it took a while for the paintwork to fully harden and petroleum based waxes could discolour the topcoat. Frequent washing with a good quality shampoo to get rid of road grime was all that was needed.

Kevin...

PS. What mileage are you getting from the Jag?
It's a 2.5 and the computer says I'm doing 29mpg. I'll cross reference that sometime. It does 40mpg on my morning commute of 40 miles up the M3, which I consider to be none too shabby. 21 or so around town.

V