VW Golf MK2 ratio of antifreeze / water? - franco

My dad done this for me last year and was advised by the guy in the motoring shop how much to put in. He can't remember the exact amount, but it was nowhere near what is stated in the manual. The manual says the cooling system capacity is 6 litres and the ratio of antifreeze to water should be 50/50, which is 3 litres of antifreeze.

Does anyone know if a smaller amount is acceptable for the coldest temperatures we seem to get in London. I currently have no antifreeze in the system as I changed the radiator a few months back and didn't get round to doing it.
VW Golf MK2 ratio of antifreeze / water? - Hamsafar
It's always* 50:50 for the best all-round protection, according to everything I've seen.
Even then the ranges have always been 1/3rd coolant to 2/3rd coolant, and these amounts usually have caution to go with them, so stick with 50:50.
VW Golf MK2 ratio of antifreeze / water? - Simon
Yes 50/50 is the best ratio for antifreeze to water. Just drain the water out of the car and then refill it with the same amount of antifreeze as you do with the water. I suggest you put say half a litre in at time of each substance and you will end up with roughly a 50/50 mix.
Thanks guys. I have just under 2.5 litres of antifreeze so that's what it will be. 1 quid per litre for antifreeze in poundland. Only the best for my old banger!
VW Golf MK2 ratio of antifreeze / water? - Armitage Shanks {p}
You don't need the 50/50 for stopping the freezing - that is good to about -20C! It is for the anti-corrosion properties SFAIK. Better to much thatn too little really!
I did put 50/50, but the strange thing is the Haynes manual said it took 6 litres when it actually took about 3. I drained it all from the bottom of the radiator and turned the engine over just to make sure it all came out. That explains my dad using about 1.5 litres of anti freeze the last time.
VW Golf MK2 ratio of antifreeze / water? - Hamsafar
That's because it's like a water trap under a wash basin or bath.
The water in the heater matrix and many parts of the engine won't drain out.
That's why it's best to drain, refill with clean hot water, circulate with engine running, drain refil with hot water, until you think it's 100% water in there and runs clear.
Then drain again. and look at the coolant capacity in a book. If it's 6 litres, add 3 litres of coolant concentrate, and top up with water.
If you can't add 3 litres of coolant concentrate, then you have drained less than half of the water or there are air locks.
Start the car to expel air , you can also squeeze the rubber pipes to gurgle the air out and add the rest of the 3 litres.
Some cars have a bleeding point to let air out, some are designed for the air to come out of the expansion reservoir.
That's the only way to be sure it's the correct 50:50 strength.
I'm an idiot. I didn't spot the instructions on draining the radiator in the Haynes manual until tonight. It clearly says to turn the heater control up to maximum before taking the bottom hose off. I'm not doing it again now after wasting my Poundland anti freeze. :) It will have to do. Thanks for your advice though.
VW Golf MK2 ratio of antifreeze / water? - Cliff Pope
There is no point in using a higher concentration than necessary to prevent freezing, as long as the antifreeze has a corrosion inhibitor. Antifreeze is a poor conductor of heat, nowhere near as good as water, so the cooling system will work less efficiently with a high concentration of antifreeze.
VW Golf MK2 ratio of antifreeze / water? - Simon
You should be okay with what you have put in, as our temperatures don't drop that low and the water that remained in the system probably had a bit of antifreeze mixed in there anyway. If you really wanted to be sure you can test the strength using an antifreeze hydrometer and that will tell you at what temperature it is safe down to.
VW Golf MK2 ratio of antifreeze / water? - L'escargot
You should be okay with what you have put in, as
our temperatures don't drop that low

Lowest recorded temperature -27.2 °C at Braemar, Grampian, 10 January 1982 and 11 February 1895 and Altnaharra, Highland, 30 December 1995.

--
L\'escargot.
VW Golf MK2 ratio of antifreeze / water? - storme
also,,something that seems to have been forgotten...........

anti freeze also RAISES the boiling point of the water..so instead of the water boiling at 100 degs c.. it will now boil at 120 degs c..

so your car will also be better during the hot summer months
--
sometimes a little bit too much opinion....but its only because i care !!!
VW Golf MK2 ratio of antifreeze / water? - jc2
Water with a/f in doesn't turn straight to ice when it eventually does freeze;it goes thro' a crystalline stage first which won't do any damage to the engine.