Toyota Previa 03 D-4D Diesel - The Whiteknight
My stepdad has the above vehicle with 150,000 miles on the clock . The problem with the vehicle is that for the last year the Engine Management light seems to come at about 3000rpm usually when going up a hill it feels "Woolie" ie it Hesitates then picks up again mostly in top gear . It has gradually got worse after several visits to the local toyota dealer who have so far been unable to diagnose the fault . I wondered if any others could suggest possible cause or solution ?My stepdad's vehicle is booked in to the Toyota dealer next Thursday for them to have another attempt as they seem unable to find the fault . Any help or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks
If anybody has any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem ? I would be grateful to hear from you . Thanks
Toyota Previa 03 D-4D Diesel - Screwloose

Sorry that you don't seem to have had much response. There's more than a few possible reasons for this fault; MAF sensor, pressure regulator/sensor, fuel filter etc. but with a common-rail system, diagnosis by guesswork is just too expensive to entertain. Can you provide anymore clues; fault-codes found, parts already tried etc.?

Have you tried using a different make of fuel? Or a diesel additive?
Screwloose Thankyou for your response on this .

Never ever has a fault code come up . Still plays up , when a new Fuel filter has been fitted and a new wire in the Airflow sensor . Also fitted , earth strap was not fitted to Gearbox . This was put in place but still no cure !

Very odd that there's never been a fault code. Generally; if the light comes on, then there's a code stored. If the light is only coming on for a few seconds [which is the only plausible reason for "no code"] then maybe the answer is to road-test it with a scanner connected to "catch" the code before it self-clears.

3,000 revs uphill is pretty much full load. Even if a code doesn't appear; it would be interesting to see any disparity between "target" and "actual" fuel-rail pressure in the live-data. Sticking pressure-control solenoids [the reason for the fuel source/additive question - some pumps hate "dry" fuel] or even high-pressure pump wear come to mind. Does it ever "run-on" after it's switched off?
Thankyou once again !

They are going to attach the scanner to vehicle whilst road testing in order to capture this fault code . It does not seem to run on once switched off . We will just have see with what they come up but you have provided some suggestions with which to throw at them .

Happy Christmas
Just an update on this one the above vehicle went to the dealers this morning before roading a scanner was attached and the fault code was recorded apparently it is something to do with the turbo so could be pricey to fix . Thankyou Screwloose for your help on this . All the best .
Whiteknlght

Did you get the number [or full description] of that all-important code? There are many turbo-related codes; but few necessarily mean a new turbo.
Screwloose

Sorry for not replying for few days didnt have relevant information apparently the code it came up with code 34 TURBO CHARGER MALFUNCTION apparently according to my stepdad they found a broken part on the turbo which which was L shaped replacing this has made no difference . The dealer's have mentioned that it is something to do with the turbo charger over pressurising . My stepdad is going to phone Toyota on tuesdays as the dealer seems incapable of fixing the problem even with the error code . Would you have any suggestions on this matter ?

Thanks

Ask Honest John

Value my car