Which Polo is best? - lazza
Hello all.

Come the new year i hope to sell my guzzler and buy an economical VW POLO that will do more than 300 miles to a tank of fuel. Which is the best performing/most reliable model to buy? It has to be petrol, manual, 3 or 5 doors, and no more than 3 yrs old.

Thanks, Mark.
Which Polo is best? - Frogeye
SWMBO has an 04 reg Polo twist which has the 1.2 litre 65BHP engine, driving is a mixture of short journeys and 8 mile ones. I do not think it has ever achieved more than 33MPG. I saw a report that said that the real life consumption was way short of 47MPG claimed by VW.
Which Polo is best? - mark25
In general, the answer to this question is to buy the model with the engine that's got the minimum amount of valve and been kicking around the longest.
Which Polo is best? - Bill Payer
SWMBO has an 04 reg Polo twist which has the 1.2
litre 65BHP engine, driving is a mixture of short journeys and
8 mile ones. I do not think it has ever achieved
more than 33MPG. I saw a report that said that the
real life consumption was way short of 47MPG claimed by VW.

I guess that would be the same, horrible, 3 cyl engine that's in my daughters 54 reg Ibiza? She complained about the fuel economy too - I can really wring econony out of cars, but I used it for a week and it did 40MPG. Our Jazz does an easy 50 and 55 is obtainable.
Which Polo is best? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I've had a 3 cylinder Polo on loan a couple of times. The VW garage say it does 35mpg for the purposes of filling the tank.
Nice to drive and climbs the Cat and Fiddle well- but I'd want more mpg.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Which Polo is best? - madf
I test drove a Polo and bought a Yaris: more space, better quality and more mpg...

Why pay for a badge and get an inferior car? (read HJ's rCar by car Breakdown)
madf
Which Polo is best? - Nickdm
For outright economy, look for a 1.9SDi diesel. No turbo. I bought one 3 years ago for a motorway commute and did 23k miles in 9 months, averaging mid 40s mpg despite caning it down the M40 every day. Same engine has of course been used in a few Seats no doubt.
Which Polo is best? - PoloGirl
I hate it when people do this to me but I'm going to ask anyway...

Why does it have to be a Polo? And why does it have to be petrol?

Which Polo is best? - Vansboy
Have you thought of buying NEW, they seem to have some very attractive packages/lease deals on these.. www.vw.co.uk/new_cars/fox & as it's a sbog as an old Polo & a new Polo as big as a Golf used to be, you'll be buying what you first thought of - if that makes sense!!

VB
Which Polo is best? - Vansboy
as big - not asbog

sorry!

VB
Which Polo is best? - P3t3r
For outright economy, look for a 1.9SDi diesel. No turbo.
I bought one 3 years ago for a motorway commute
and did 23k miles in 9 months, averaging mid 40s mpg
despite caning it down the M40 every day. Same engine
has of course been used in a few Seats no doubt.

:-o mid 40's mpg! That doesn't sound very good for a Diesel, I would expect it to easily do 50+mpg if we're talking about a Polo.

I'm supprised about what I'm hearing, I had assumed that the economy cycle figures were reallistic, but obviously not. In my car, for short trips I get close to the urban figure, for motorways I get close the the extra-urban figure, and for country roads I get close to the combined figure. This is my first car, so I just assumed that they would all be like this, and that consumption figures were a good way to compare car's economy.
Which Polo is best? - Bill Payer
I've had a 3 cylinder Polo on loan a couple of times. The VW garage say it does 35mpg for the
purposes of filling the tank. Nice to drive and climbs the Cat and Fiddle well- but
I'd want more mpg.
--

That's a bit outrageous of the garage really - that can't have it both ways!

To be fair to the engine (I said it was horrible) it actually pretty sweet on the open road if you use plenty of revs - it's around town where it's juddery and noisy.
Which Polo is best? - barney100
We bought a 1.2 3 cylinder in Sept and it has been fine. It's reasonably economical and cost 7.5k new. There is not much in the way of kit but it has a good radio C/D and they threw in pearlescent paint too. Performance is adequate, it cruises fine at legal limits and is very easy to drive. SWMBO does not like a lot of gadgets so it suits her fine. We took out a maintainance deal at £14 a month for three years which covers all servicing and any thing from a new engine to a light bulb.
Which Polo is best? - Big John
I run a 2001 Skoda Octavia 1.416v that uses the same engine as fitted to the Polo 1.416v. Despite being fitted to a much bigger car I've always had great economy, usually mid to late 40's mpg . The higher the mileage the better the economy - now 80k. My father-in-law used it a couple of months ago for a 500 mile trip and thought the fuel gauge was faulty - when he filled up and did the sums he had done 51.8 mpg!

The only problem is that it does prefer more expensive higher octane fuel - especially Shell.

I have driven Skoda Fabias fitted with both 1.2 (chain cam!)engines. The lower power 6v was slow and surprisingly thirsty (mid 30's mpg) . The 1.2 12v was a bit quicker (but loud ) and much more economical.
Which Polo is best? - AlanGowdy
Iazza,
The words "performance" "economy" and "petrol" are incompatible unless accompanied by negatives such as "poor" and "low".
Which Polo is best? - Perfection
Hi there,

Initially I was looking for a Polo TDI, but they were over priced. 2 yrs old cost about £7-8k and the condition wasn't brilliant either. In the end I went and bought a Yaris Diesel for thre same price but only 8 months old.

The Yaris gives me between 65 and 75MPG, 80% motorway. I drivs about 370 miles a week on the motorway and I'm extremely happy with its power, cheap insurance, road tax, and mpg.

Hope this help.
Which Polo is best? - local yokel
averaging mid 40s mpg despite caning it down the M40 every day

That's pretty underwhelming - my Pug 405 TD does 45mpg when I thrash it to Holland and back at a min 75 mph - at it's on 178k.

Why does the OP so want a Polo - really quite an average car in its class.
Which Polo is best? - landmarked
There may be better superminis around but the Polo still has a lot going for it for some, for example I find the driving position much more 'grown up' than other superminis. I drove a Clio the other day and thought I might need to chop 6 inches off my legs then extend my arms to reach the steering wheel.

I would avoid the SDi, it is prehistoric technology and I cannot believe VAG are still using it in passenger vehicles. The 1.4TDi is probably the best all rounder - plenty of poke and better outright economy than the SDi. Residual values should be higher too.

But still better to save your money and buy a Fabia/Ibiza with same chassis, engine etc.