Erratic idling - toyota carina 2.0i - Greg R
I own a toyota carina 2.0i and it seems to idle very eratically.

It revs between 1900 and 2100 revs whilst idling, and when accelerating it also seems to be less smooth and increases and reduces throttle.

I don't know what this could be. Any thoughts?
Erratic idling - toyota carina 2.0i - Sprice
Idle control valve (AKA stepper motor). Fast and/or erratic idle can be one symptom.
Yes, the idle control valve was cleaned.

It helped the situation, but then went back to normal.

Erratic idling - toyota carina 2.0i - Sprice
Yes, the idle control valve was cleaned.
It helped the situation, but then went back to normal.

Which suggests it is the idle control valve then! Maybe a new one instead of cleaning? Also, look to things like valve clearances (often overlooked, but checked every 18k on Toyotas IIRC). Is the car serviced regularly, if not it wont hurt to change plugs, air filter etc!
Erratic idling - toyota carina 2.0i - Micky
"< Yes, the idle control valve was cleaned.

It helped the situation, but then went back to normal. <"

There's a clue there somewhere.

IACVs can be a pain to repair by cleaning, replacement might be the only option. What year? Fault codes?
Erratic idling - toyota carina 2.0i - Roobarb
Is the engine management light on?
No, the engine management light isn't on. Does this suggest it might not be a sensor?

I don't even think this car has an ECU actually.

Is the idle control motor the same thing as the throttle body?

Where can it be seen in the engine bay?
No its on the end of the throttle body, but I think you should try and find the cause first rather than cure the symptom;)
I still think you should check for stored fault code....Find the diagnostic socket, under the bonnet, and bridge the terminals TE1 and E1 with a paper clip, count the flashes from the engine management light and post back...
Bump
I have now noticed that there is oil in the coolant.

What would the symptoms for a head gasket problem be? Would the idle be erratic based on loss of compression caused by the fault?
Can anyone help with this one?

What is ironic, I saw a corrola 2 years ago with dirty oily coolant. Maybe this is a known problem with these engines?

Thanks and happy new year everyone.
Can anyone help? Price, tips or any information?

Thanks
"> I have now noticed that there is oil in the coolant.<"

Have the coolant "sniffed" for combustion gases. Compression test. Look at spark plugs for rust and steam cleaning. Any coolant in the oil? Water vapour from the exhaust when hot (difficult to be certain in cold weather when exhaust steaming can be normal)? Coolant loss? Over pressure of the coolant system (expansion tank vents coolant and gas)?.

Is it an auto? If so then check the auto fluid for level and contamination with coolant (transmission fluid radiator might be failing, assuming Carinas have such a thing).

That's quite enough to be going on with....
The car has always had lots of steam from the exhaust even when driven hundreds of miles.

Only the coolant has oil contamination.

The compression test is very low -

How much should I expect this to cost?
">The car has always had lots of steam from the exhaust even when driven hundreds of miles. <"

Did it lose coolant?

">The compression test is very low - <"

That was quick!!

Was the compression low on all cylinders or just one or two? How low is low? Engine hot and spinning over on the starter motor with all plugs out and throttle to the floor for the test? Fuel injection and ignition disabled of course!

What year is the car? How many miles? General overall condition?
I believe they said it was 100 psi as opposed to the 130 it should be. Not sure if they checked all cylinders.

The car is a 1992, 46000 miles on the clock. Very carefully driven by myself, and fully serviced.

I think the cause of my head gasket problem is:

1. Low mileage - this doesn't do any good for engines.
2. The coolant probably wasn't changed every 2 years by the main dealer in its early years.
3. Lots of london traffic. I'm sure this had something to do with it!

Don't know how right or wrong I am though?
Did the garage say that it was the head gasket? If so, I doubt if it's worth paying the garage to change the head gasket. However, if the correct procedure isn't followed, low readings can result.

No liability: Try re-torquing the head fixings, perhaps 5ft lb above specified figure.

Has the garage looked for air leaks to try and reduce the idle? The car has probably reached the end of its economic life, suggest start looking for a replacement.