Don't miss this. - Dwight Van Driver
Sit or set your Video recorders for 2000hrs (Zulu) Monday 25th March, 2002 Channel 4.

It has an engine, brakes, tyres and you will never get done for speeding in it.
Keep your Rolls, Mercs, Mini etc I wish I had one.

And if they did restore it in 14 days then I'll eat HJ's hat.

DVD
Re: Don't miss this. - Mark (Brazil)
One of my favourite films of all time that. Zulu, I mean.
Re: Don't miss this. - Ian Cook
Zulu - Yes, cracking film.

I remember the spoof line from the sergeant:"don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes. The Zulus could have won if they'd kept their eyes shut". Can't remember who spoofed it, though.

Ian
Re: Don't miss this. - ian (cape town)
And Michael Caine - "What you STOP THROWING those bloody spears!" (He didn't say that, but he should have!)
A friend's father was an extra in the film, as a redcoat. He was speared by a Zulu warrior at one stage.
My friend used to get great pleasure from re-watching the video ...
Interesting trivia - Chief Mangosuthu Buthelezi played the Zulu leader - these days he is head of the Inkatha Freedom Party, and minister of home affairs.
When they made the film, he was asked to supply the Zulu extras. Day before filming started, nobody had pitched, and the director was getting frantic. "Don't worry, they will be here," says Buthelezi.(Given African tardiness, the director worried!)
But next morning, along come many thousands of Zulus - all with shields, spears, etc.
Director panics again - "we can't pay these guys, we asked for only half this amount of extras!"
Buthelezi points out that the *impi* doesn't really need to be paid -they think it a great honour to just be there!
Re: Don't miss this. - Lewis Ayers
The best line was the popular trivia quiz question:- "What was the name of the first Zulu native killed in the battle of Rorke's Drift?"

Answer, William.

As every schoolboy knows, Michael Caine screamed out, "Right Men, Fire at Will."
"Men of Harlech stop your dreaming, Can't you see their spear points gleaming,
See their warrior pennants streaming, To this battlefield ... .."

Not actually the real lyrics, they rewrote it for the film. The first published 1860 version began..

"March ye men of Harlech bold, Unfurl your banners in the field,
Be brave as were your sires of old, And like them never yield!"

Although another is the 1873 version...

"Men of Harlech, march to glory, Victory is hov'ring o'er ye,
Bright eyed freedom stands before ye, Hear ye not her call? "

And that is just the first two published versions, there are at least two more, perhaps older, versions which may refer to saxons. Also, it is unlikely it would have been sung at that time since it wasn't adopted by the regiment until about 7 years after that battle.

But who cares ? Bloody good film.

See how sad my life is, that I have time to know these things ????
Re: Don't miss this. - Saddam I Urwot
Yawn.......zzzzzzzzzzzz
Re: Don't miss this. - Moosh
Salvage Squad restoration of Gipsy Moth ??
Re: Don't miss this. - Tomo
Could they get Britannia back to sea?!
Re: Don't miss this. - Andy S
I reckon they ought to send this lot in to sort out Railtrack. They'd probably turn it around in a week.
TNMW* gave me a tape of various british motoring type shows that are mentioned in here.

I just watched an episode of Salvage Squad - that one with the tank. So, sorry for out of date comments, but what a pile of dross.

Even taking David's suggestion of watching for light enjoyment rather than a serious program didn't really work.

They repainted the boxes, put two links in the tracks, put some kind of electronic ignition on it and painted it.

For that, everything worked and it won a prize ? Oh please.

What about the wheels which were off and their bearings - to name just one thing.

Thanks for the tape David, at least I know why people complain about the show.

Mark.

* That nice Mr. Woollard