Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation Vol 1. - Murphy The Cat
If you read any of the 'quality' motoring magazines in the Uk, you will see that they always finish the road test with a variation of 'horrendous depreciation / crippling 2nd hand prices / expect poor residuals', which I'm sure has put many people off.

Well, a year after the 300C CRD came to the UK, the depreciation rates are now available and they really are truly shocking.

www.carkeys.co.uk/news/2006/december/13/12131.asp

(Chrysler Group is quoting Glass's Guide as saying that, with 9000 miles on the clock, a 06 plate car in the range might sell for £27,500, compared with the list price of £26,250.) Ed.

These must be very sobering news indeed for anyone who selected the 300C.
MTC

Tweak to subject line to fit in with the current drop down menus

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 26/10/2007 at 18:35

Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Statistical outlier
For that to be sobering they'd have to be very drunk indeed!!! Ah well, it is Christmas I suppose. :-)
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Bill Payer
These must be very sobering news indeed for anyone who selected the 300C.

MTC - Do you know anyone clever enough to have chosen one of these cars?
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Murphy The Cat
MTC - Do you know anyone clever enough to have chosen
one of these cars?

Indeed I do, but the person/cat in question is one of the smuggest people that I know, so I won't give him the satisfaction of seeing this link.
MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - henry k
(Chrysler Group is quoting Glass's Guide as saying that, with 9000 miles on the clock, a 06 plate car in the range might sell for £27,500, compared with the list price of £26,250.)

Or might not. Have a look at AutoTrader on the left for ASKING prices.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Blue {P}
The cheapest *diesel* available in the UK is currently £24K, I still don't reckon they're doing badly!

Blue
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Lud
Nice to see you back MTC. I feared you might have gone off it or wrapped it round a tree....
Nice to see you back MTC. I feared you might have
gone off it or wrapped it round a tree....

Cheers Lud

No nothing dramatic like that going on, just racking up the miles on a steady basis.

Apparently, DCUK keep asking Magna Steyr to increase production for them to satisfy demand (we are talking very low levels here) , but the Austrians keep replying "nein".

So, to date, demand outstrips supply, dealers aren't playing the discounting game (much, if at all on the CRD) and customer satisfaction appears to be very, very high.

Happy times all around
MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Roly93
>> (Chrysler Group is quoting Glass's Guide as saying that, with
9000 miles on the clock, a 06 plate car in
the range might sell for £27,500, compared with the list
price of £26,250.)
>>

This is probably what we used to call a lie in the old days !!
This is probably what we used to call a lie in
the old days !!

ooh you cynical, disbelieving soul you (insert happy smiley here).

have a look on the forecourt of your local Chryler dealer (or ring a few around) and see what you find.

There aren't many CRD's on the forecourts, and the ones that are there are up for good money.

MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - ForumNeedsModerating
I was speaking to a dealer who bought one as his personal transport (the one with
the new Merc 3L diesel/transmission) & he's thoroughly delighted with it, raved about
the torque etc. , also said he's never had so much favourable 'passer-by' comment as well,
so I'm not too surprised by the above. He'd also bought a couple of the new V6 Mustang
convertibles while on a USA sojourn - not so sure he'll do so well there.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Stuartli
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why would anyone want to buy a secondhand car for more than the cost of a new one?

Is there a shortage of this particular model? The link doesn't make this clear.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Armitage Shanks {p}
Very slight thread hi-jack - apologies. My partner's son has just bought a top specced 6 month old Audi A8 diesel at £35k off list price. Nice - if you want an A8.
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why would anyone want to
buy a secondhand car for more than the cost of a
new one?
Is there a shortage of this particular model? The link doesn't
make this clear.

Supply and demand.

Big demand, but production of RHD 300C's is limited to (I think ) 2000 per year. So many of those are HEMIs, so many are 3.5 lt V6 & so many are estates (tourers). Throw in the limited colour choice and you CAN be looking at a 6 month wait to get the exact car that you want.

But you can beat the queue, by going for a 2nd hand one.

My dealer offered to buy mine back off me for what I'd paid for it when it had on (IIRC) 10000 miles, because he had people prepared to pay a premium for the car.

It's not going to last forever (in fact it may not last much longer, who knows), but it's a nice feeling all the same.
MTC
>>My dealer offered to buy mine back off me for what I'd paid for it when it had on (IIRC) 10000 miles, because he had people prepared to pay a premium for the car.>>

I'd have snatched the money out of his hands...:-)
I'd have snatched the money out of his hands...:-)

& had to have done without my wee beastie for 6 months until a replacement 300C came along.

I don't think so.

Don't forget, this is a low volume, high demand car that we're talking about.
Not some produced by the million BMW, Audi or VW.

no, no, no Sir. I'll keep patrolling the roads of England in Arnie, & I'll let others have the plaesure of their own cars.

MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Shaz {p}
Have you been tempted to remap it ? If so what does it feel like in comparson?

How do you find the handling? I know there are suspension kits around - have you heard anything about these?

Don't know why I'am asking - wont be in my range for a while.
Hmmmm remapping Arnie.

Chrysler will do a Warranty approved, Startech remap for £1500 - £1600, which takes the BHP up from 218 bhp to 262 bhp, & torque (which is pretty damned good so start with) from 510 nm to 580nm.
There are quite a few Uk based gadgers who will sell you a 'metal cigaette box' that takes power upto 262 bhp (the same), but takes the torque up to a whopping 660 nm.
I would imagine that a 300C with a box like that on would go like stink - but of course its Chrysler warranty would be shot.
The handling for ME, is absolutely fine. ALL of my motoring is done on on UK public roads at 'appropriate' speeds. If I was looking for a track car, the 300C wouldn't be the worlds most suitable purchase !
As regarding handling improvements - there is a plethora of kit available in the US, but I don't know if anyone in the UK has splashed out for any. Some people say that putting the larger Startech (or other) wheels on improves the handling / feel for the car - other people say that it makes it worse. The low profile tyres do make the ride a lot bumpier though - the OE tyres on the 300C are definitely NOT low profile, rim huggers, they're more like extra shock absorbers.
MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Micky
The only way that Chrysler can ensure reasonable residuals is to restrict supply; once all and sundry realise just how awful the 300C is, it will become virtually unsaleable. Germy Klaxon concurs, so I must be right.

It is an obese car for obese people with wallowing, hippo-style handling, excessive "bling" and extreme tackiness .... that applies equally to the car and the people.

I understand that Jaid Gooday has acquired one.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - T Lucas
If JC says it,then it must be true,trouble is in a free market the market decides and right now the market wants them,not many cars out there you can say that about.Espesially about cars that cost new around 30 large.
If the manufacturer restricts supply then it's not a free market. I suspect the 300C is a loss leader, but who knows? Perhaps not even Chrysler.

But then each to their own, I despise obesity in any form. It's ungreen.
>. It's ungreen.

But so is fillet steak and roast potatos and Yorkshire Pudding, and they're really good as well.

MTC
">But so is fillet steak and roast potatos and Yorkshire Pudding, and they're really good as well.<" and no doubt more maneuverable than a 300C.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - L'escargot
and they're really good as well.

You mean they're well good as well. Get with it MTC! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
If the manufacturer restricts supply then it's not a free market.
I suspect the 300C is a loss leader, but who knows?
Perhaps not even Chrysler.

Funnily enough, last year it was Chrysler that were propping up Mercedes in the DC relationship - and the #1 reason was the profitability and sales volume of 1 particular car - I'll let you guess which one.

As for why it is priced to well in the UK ? Probably because it is manufactured in small volumes by a 3rd party, from an existing design has a lot to do with it.
MTC
If JC says it,then it must be true,trouble is in a
free market the market decides and right now the market wants
them,not many cars out there you can say that about.Espesially about
cars that cost new around 30 large.

nearer 25 large and don't forget that nearly all of the goodies that the big German manufacturers charge extra for are already included in the 300C. An equivalent Audi, BMW,Merc would cost nearly £40000.
MTC
>>An equivalent Audi, BMW,Merc would cost nearly £40000>>

But we all know just exactly why.
>>An equivalent Audi, BMW,Merc would cost nearly £40000>>
But we all know just exactly why.

We do, because people will pay it ! That's what freedom of choice is all about (& clever marketing helps the job along as well)
MTC
nearer 25 large and don't forget

Be fair MTC, more like 35 large if you want one now and aren't much of an Afghan carpet salesman....
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Vansboy
Just back from a few days in Las Vegas (not sure why we went there!!) & the strip is full of them - especially the estate version.

It's got approval amongst the younger drivers to - just how they were watching 5 different video/dvd screens at once. I don't know, but one carfull of lads were!!

It even looks cool in white, as does the PT Cruiser.

I'd have one!!

VB
Just back from a few days in Las Vegas (not sure
why we went there!!) & the strip is full of them
- especially the estate version.
I'd have one!!

In America, the estate is sold (& styled) as the Dodge Magnum.
Chrylser & Dodge market to different types of customers.
MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Sprice
Wow MTC, you 'bump' your threads a lot!
Be fair MTC, more like 35 large if you want one

I don't want to split rabbits with you, and I'll admit that when I did the exersise, it was about 6 months ago. But this is what I did.
(puts on Delia Smith apron)
First of all, go to the Audi / BMW / Merc website (it doesn't matter which as they all give very similar results)
Then select a 3 lt Diesel version of each variety.
Next, start hitting the dreaded option list (this may take a while, as some cars will need a LOT of optional extras), to bring your car of choice up to the same spec as the 300C CRD comes as standard. (BTW, some of those options are well and truly expensive).

When complete, hit total.
I've just done an Eclass and if comfortably blew past £40000. The Audi came in at £39975 and the BMW 5 series was over £40000 before the website crashed for the 3rd time ! Please remember that I?m not knocking these cars, just pointing the large price difference. Chrysler are very generous on the spec of the 300C. T?other lot aren?t.

The perception (among some) is that the 300C is not as good a car as the other manufacturers, if the other makers cars are over 50% better is upto the individual buyer.

I gave my name as Mr Persian Rug Seller on the website - did I do right.

MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Big Bad Dave
"It is an obese car for obese people with wallowing, hippo-style handling, excessive "bling" and extreme tackiness .... that applies equally to the car and the people."

Nothing like throwing in a few lame insults in when your argument starts to sag

I was down to drive the SRT8 in September for a photoshoot on our magazine but by an irritating twist of fate it came in on the week I was off moving house. I'm still kicking myself. But they're surprisingly popular in Poland, I see a few every week yet it may be weeks where I won't see an S-Class or XJ or Lexus. We tested about three this year including the estate (done on a frozen lake) so I'm sure I'll get my mitts on one next year.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Vincent de Marco
But they're surprisingly popular in Poland, I see a few every week yet it may be weeks where I won't see an S->> Class or XJ or Lexus.

Yes, they're popular, but there are much, much more S-Classes in Warsaw than 300Cs, really.
300C looks superb on the outside, but inside - forget it... fake wood, cheap plastics, big thin steering wheel, stupid American-like climate control knobs.
Sure, it may be good value for money, but it's no match for the Germans. It simply doesn't belong to the premium class.
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western economy.
Fake wood ------- nahh, that's fake tortoisehell.
Cheap plastics -------------- feel OK to me, regardless of the cost of them
Thin steering wheel --------- how deep is the barrel that your scraping ?
Stupide climate control knobs----------------------------oh pleeeeaaaassssse. You're knocking a car because you don't like the climate control knobs. As the Americans would say, give me a break buddy.

As value for money does, it is stupendous

MTC
">Nothing like throwing in a few lame insults in when your argument starts to sag<"

I can't see an argument, merely statements of fact. It is a pimp-mobile, it is for those who have little taste and minimal interest in the dynamics of driving. It is an obese American car suitable for obese wannabe-Americans wallowing along dead straight American roads in an obese, hippo-style manner. Fortunately, the standard of manufacture is so poor that the natural progression of time will ensure that 300Cs will soon be considered as only suitable for banger racing.

">But they're surprisingly popular in Poland<"

So, those eastern europeans like the 300C, rather damning don't you think? Incidentally, the 300C is not particularly cheap when one realises that Chrysler have omitted to install style, panache or any other redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Except for the V8 engine of course, which should be immediately transplanted into something more deserving, an elderly Land Rover for example.
"I can't see an argument, merely statements of fact"

You don't understand the difference between fact and opinion.

"So, those eastern europeans like the 300C, rather damning don't you think"

Another insult.

Pattern forming. Must be fun being your wife.
">You don't understand the difference between fact and opinion.<"

Is that a fact .... or merely your opinion?

">Another insult.<"

And I thought you had a thick skin Dave, appearances can be so deceptive.

">Must be fun being your wife.<"

I'll have to ask them.
"I'll have to ask them"

I just asked them but all they could say was "oooh don't stop"
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - smokie
"I just asked them but all they could say was "oooh don't stop""

However, Micky and Dave, this moderator is asking you to stop the petty squabble and insults, now.

Thank you.
"to stop the petty squabble and insults"

and get back to agreeing with everybody in a sickly, tedius but oh so gentlemanly manner

Sorry, Micky, hope the fact that your and my opinions differ didn't offend you, big hug to you mate.

x x x

z z z z z z z z

Removed the unnecessary PS. While there is no need for everyone to agree, neither is there any need for insults to be exchanged. It really doesn't make very good or interesting reading. smokie, BR Moderator
"> didn't offend you,<"

Offend? On the internet? Is that possible?

">tenner<" You paid her? Fair enough.

.. and swiftly back to cars. Oddly enough, I observed a 300C this evening, becoming rather common I fear. I must admit though, it positively glinted as it wallowed past.
It must depend on where you're living.

Given that there are only about 2000 per year coming to the UK in 2006.
MTC
">I just asked them but all they could say was "oooh don't stop"<"

Yes, I was rather busy ;-)

No petty squabble or insults from here Smokie .... sah!
I think that you'll enjoy the SRT8 when you get the chance. If you remember, ask me how to knock off the traction control properly (not the button on the dashboard that only knocks 20% off) & remember to take your fuel card with you. There's no MDS on the SRT8.
MTC
The only way that Chrysler can ensure reasonable residuals is to
restrict supply; once all and sundry realise just how awful the
300C is, it will become virtually unsaleable. Germy Klaxon concurs, so
I must be right.

Completely agree....
Many manufacturers have used this strategy, ie a mixture of slick marketing mixed with the anticipation factor.
Surely there can only be so many people in the UK who want to look like a drug dealer and have the money to buy one of these !
You sound like you are / were very unhappy with the 300C - is your opinion borne out from an extensive test drive or from ownership ?
MTC
The only way that Chrysler can ensure reasonable residuals is to
restrict supply; once all and sundry realise just how awful the
300C is, it will become virtually unsaleable. Germy Klaxon concurs, so
I must be right.

Yes I agree, although restricting supply is not a long-term business proposition for a volume car manufacturer with slim margins.
So 300C owners will probably have a depreciation 'honeymoon' period followed by an 'off the edge of a cliff' period.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Bagpuss
I had a 300C rental car for the last 3 weeks whilst in Orlando. It was a replacement for a Pacifica which gave up the ghost.

It's nice to drive for a US car, miles better than any Cadillac, and I personally really like the styling.

Unfortunately build quality is dire and this was also true of the 2 others I've hired on previous visits to the US. With 2000 miles on the clock the leather seats in this particular example were already fraying along the seams. I don't know whether European examples are better in this respect.

Also my client asked me whether I was a rap singer in my spare time!
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - L'escargot
Also my client asked me whether I was a rap singer
in my spare time!

And are you? ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Our local Thrifty car hire centre had a 300 available for hire - jet black - when I drove past this morning.

Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Aprilia
The bugbear of Chrysler has always been quality. Older jeeps are often in a dire state and the less said about the Neon, the better! Hopefully the diesel engine and transmission, being MB-sourced, should be OK. Its whether things like electrics and other traditionally weak areas (air con) hold up in the longer term. The car is sold in low numbers in the UK and has attracted niche interest. As more used examples become available then prices could weaken a lot if there is not more general appeal. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out for Chrysler.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Bagpuss
>> Also my client asked me whether I was a rap
singer
>> in my spare time!
And are you? ;-)

Depends how much I've had to drink ;-)
Unfortunately build quality is dire and this was also true of
the 2 others I've hired on previous visits to the US.
With 2000 miles on the clock the leather seats in this
particular example were already fraying along the seams. I don't know
whether European examples are better in this respect.

Times fairly short today (making up flat pack furniture), but I'll TRY and answer all of your posts / questions step by step.

The build quality issue is a good one. In America, there were a few initial issues on component quality (the transmission WAS a weakness at first) and over the other side of the Atlantic, build quality seems to be of the acceptable level and then any glitches are sorted out by the dealer.

In the Uk, it seems to be a different story. The cars that are amde in Magna Steyr (Austria) seem to have been put together with better glue and the robots seem to have a better eye for lining things up properly and then giving them a bang with a big hammer to secure them in place.

Granted, the dashboard hasn't been hewn fom an oaktree, but it fits tight, doesn't rattle and does the job !

Sooooooooooo. To date.
Build quality very good.

I'll be back later (double cupboard to construct first !)

MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - T Lucas
Apart from anything else that is said about the car and its build quality etc,i find it quite refreshing to see them out on the road and not looking like an identikit Eurobarge in silver,and for now,and probably for the next few years i'm sure they will have a better residual value than its main Euro competitors.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Blue {P}
I have to say that this thread has been one of the most refreshing and funny ones that I've read in the Back Room for a very long time, I've had a really good laugh reading through this!

I have to say that I hope that the depreciation curve speeds up a bit, not good for you MTC. but it'll bring forward my ownership of one of these beautys by about 10 years :-)

Blue
I agree with you.

Design wise, that's the problem when you make something very distinctive - folks either love it (mostly they do) or hate it (see above). But at least they're not bland eurobarges (fill in any brand you like here).
My latest comment from a stranger ? "It's about time that Bentley brought out a decent looking sports saloon - well done lad, it looks grand on you" - and then I told him what it was.

MTC
A bit of an update for you on the depreciation front.
Someone that I know has just moved his 300C on.
The car initially cost £28000 (incl extras) and 11 months and 11500 (entirely trouble free) miles down the road, he has just sold it privately for £25600 via AutoTrader. He is absolutely delighted at that and I can't blame him for being happy either.

MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Cardew
A bit of an update for you on the depreciation front.
Someone that I know has just moved his 300C on.
The car initially cost £28000 (incl extras) and 11 months and
11500 (entirely trouble free) miles down the road, he has just
sold it privately for £25600 via AutoTrader. He is absolutely
delighted at that and I can't blame him for being happy
either.

>

Well I think he would be happy to have got that price as you can now buy them brand new(see best deals today) for under £23k

I really do like the 300C, having driven them in the USA, but IMO the resale values will drop off very quickly now.
Well I think he would be happy to have got that
price as you can now buy them brand new(see best deals
today) for under £23k
I really do like the 300C, having driven them in the
USA, but IMO the resale values will drop off very quickly
now.

Are you sure ? I found offers for the Touring and the Petrol saloon, but nowt for the CRD saloon (except for list price).

The other heartening thing for 300C owners is that the guy who sold his car for £25600 said that his phone was red hot with people who wanted to buy it - so (in his case anyway) the demand from Joe Public is still there.
MTC
Well I think he would be happy to have got that price as you can now buy them brand new(see best deals today) for under £23k

I really do like the 300C, having driven them in the USA, but IMO the resale values will drop off very quickly
>> now.
>>
Are you sure ? I found offers for the Touring and
the Petrol saloon, but nowt for the CRD saloon (except for
list price).
The other heartening thing for 300C owners is that the guy
who sold his car for £25600 said that his phone was
red hot with people who wanted to buy it - so
(in his case anyway) the demand from Joe Public is still
there.
MTC

You didn't say anything in the post I referred to about it being a diesel.

Drivethedeal were advertising the diesel here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/index.htm?news_id=3558

Chrysler 300C Touring 3.0 V6 CRD 5dr Auto £25567 Save £2183

Anyway if I had the choice between this:

Chrysler 300C Saloon 3.5 V6 4dr Auto £22804 Save £3446

and your pal's 1 year old diesel costing £2,800 more it would be a no contest.
You didn't say anything in the post I referred to about
it being a diesel.
Drivethedeal were advertising the diesel here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/index.htm?news_id=3558
Chrysler 300C Touring 3.0 V6 CRD 5dr Auto £25567 Save £2183
Anyway if I had the choice between this:
Chrysler 300C Saloon 3.5 V6 4dr Auto £22804 Save £3446
and your pal's 1 year old diesel costing £2,800 more it
would be a no contest.

Fair comment - I KNEW that I was was talking about the CRD - I just didn't share that info well with anyone else !

BTW, the car that my friend has just bought is one of those oh so sensible, low depreciating, proper, Ultimate Driving Machine BMWS & he's absolutely chuffed with the deal. The previous owner lost £22500 oin his BMW 650i in the 14 months that he owned it - nearly enough have bought himself a 300C !!
MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - mare
The novelty value still hasn't worn off. These cars are still head turning monsters and totally look the bomb (translation: looks rather tasty) in black with the Bentley grille, tints and the right wheels. Not sure about the estate though.

Just moved office, closer to the station and further away from the free and easy parking. Damn. And it still won't fit on my drive. Double damn. I still really want one, in black, with the Bentley grille, tints and 20" wheels. Only question still to resolve is CRD (head) or Hemi (heart).

Continue to enjoy MTC, i'm very jealous

mare
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - cheddar
What would this have cost new?

tinyurl.com/32ydg5 {link to Autotrader website shortened as was previously screwing up the page width of this thread. Also the postcode changed to one offered by Autotrader to hide posters location - DD}

Probably be worth another 5k without those wheels!
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - cheddar
Oops!

{Now sorted - DD}
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - barchettaman
.....I still really want one, in black, with the Bentley grille, tints and 20" wheels........

I fear, Mare, that you´ve just described Murphy´s car, sending his smugometer even further off the scale.
I´m still enjoying driving my Astra, and wouldn´t fancy a 300C touring. Not one little bit. Honest.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Pugugly {P}
Buy a 530d you know it makes more sense. You won't want to sell it so depreciation is just another annoying word. Seriously I'd want a Hemi and make SWMBO pay the fuel bills.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - pd
The diesels are doing OK, but even CAP are reporting this month that the "bubble" has burst and prices are now moving down in line with the market sector. UK spec V6's are now down to £20k although the CRD's are still £23-24k even at auction. V8's can be had for similar prices as the V6.

I suspect it will continue to do well which will delight Chrysler although it is still a niche car and if they get greedy an extra 2000 units could see a price tumble.
.....I still really want one, in black, with the Bentley grille,
tints and 20" wheels........
I fear, Mare, that you´ve just described Murphy´s car, sending his
smugometer even further off the scale.

Close, but no 20" (monostaer wheels) on Arnie - just the bog standard Pirelli shod 18" jobbies
MTC
What would this have cost new?
tinyurl.com/32ydg5
Probably be worth another 5k without those wheels!

It's hard to say isn't it ? It's a grey import, in LHD, with the unpoular engine, 2 years old, in an alternative colour - I think taht he would do well to get what he's asking for it
MTC
If the car in question is a US market version then you could import a new one for about £20k including VAT and Duty.

I like the 300/300C a lot in the US and have done many miles in various examples but I'm still not sure I'd want one in the UK - they work very well in the US but I can't help but think they're just too big and squashy for UK driving conditions. They may also be relatively cheap to buy but they are also made of some very cheap components in some areas too.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - RobC
Saw one today parked up in the neighbourhood. Metallic grey saloon with the Bentley grille. Fantastic looking car. Still turns heads.
It gets my vote because it is a lot of car for the money , and although big, it looks the business.
A refreshing change from the usual suspects in the big car market.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - stunorthants26
>>300C looks superb on the outside, but inside - forget it... fake wood, cheap plastics, big thin steering wheel, stupid American-like climate control knobs.
Sure, it may be good value for money, but it's no match for the Germans. It simply doesn't belong to the premium class.<<

Fake wood, cheap plastics... could be describing something german or american - the problem with most people is that they dont get a good look and the deterioration over time of a wide variety of cars - as a valeter I do and I can tell you that Mercs, VWs and BMWs are no more durable dealing with your average family useage than anything ive seen from Chrysler.
Plastic wood and metal appears in many german cars and the quality of the finish is only skin deep - doors especially suffer from wear on handles and sill plastics mark very easily, to comliment the average quality carpets. VWs are especially poor as the door handle finish falkes off by around 20k. Impressive? I think not.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Altea Ego
Well the depreciation starts now, I saw a stretched 300C today.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I like the 300/300C a lot in the US and have
done many miles in various examples but I'm still not sure
I'd want one in the UK - they work very well
in the US but I can't help but think they're just
too big and squashy for UK driving conditions.

This is a regular thing taht motoring journalists come up with, the 'mushy and unsporting handling', but oddly enogh, one of the things that the owners of 3200C's really like is the hugely comfortable ride that soaks up the stresses and strains of everyday driving. I'll be the first to admit that it would be a complete pig on a racetrack - but then again, if I wanted a race car I would have bought one !

MTC
The 300C reminds me a little of the 1st generation LS400 (which I had and enjoyed). I haven't tried one in the UK so it may work better than I expect. One thing I have noticed however is that although the ride is quite good the shell doesn't seem very stiff - on US examples large ruts (on the usually awful US roads) seem to send a rather old fashioned shudder through the whole shell more as you'd expect from a previous generation car than a current one.
The 300C reminds me a little of the 1st generation LS400
(which I had and enjoyed). I haven't tried one in the
UK so it may work better than I expect. One thing
I have noticed however is that although the ride is quite
good the shell doesn't seem very stiff - on US examples
large ruts (on the usually awful US roads) seem to send
a rather old fashioned shudder through the whole shell more as
you'd expect from a previous generation car than a current one.

When I first saw an imported one in a showroom eons ago, I mistook it for a Lexus with a 'funny bodykit' as well.
As regards the body shudder, I've driven a Hemi & a Hemi Magnum in America and I agree with you, but its something that I've not been troubled by in the UK.
MTC
A comfortable ride and decent handling is possible, it used to be a hallmark of Jags before the Mondeo parts bin was raided.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - tr7v8
Quite what biased drivel that's meant to be I'm not sure. Just had a 2.2D X Type Premium Sport on loan whilst the S-type was in & it handled very well, with a ride that was very good, especially bearing in mind it was riding on 18" wheels. Very impressed, would have had one instead of the S but the wife's snobbery got in the way, both of the X & the estate!
And Mondeo handling & ride is very good in all forms, normally top or near of it's class.
2.2D? That's a sporting car without a doubt. Did it have lots of power? Where did you test it? Cadwell perhaps? With all due respect, the laughable X-type is a wannabe car and the S-type is for old men ... so that's my next car then.

You're confusing idiot-proof FWD with the ultimately (in the right hands) superior characteristics of RWD.
The mondeo parts bin is a fine place to start. They have excelent handling and ride.

Traditional jags had appaling handling
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - stunorthants26
For once, I agree with TVM - the Mondeo is a very good handling car and as such, who can criticise any car company that uses a highly rated drivers car as a basis for their own?

I perceive the Phantom as one of the best luxury cars money can buy, so would I complain if another company based their platform for a luxury car on it? I think not.

If badge snobbery means that you should drive an inferior product, one should assume that along with the snobbery comes idiocy along with it.
I wouldnt buy a Mondeo because dealers are patchy in their customer care and they arent foolproof reliability-wise, but as cars to drive, I think they are well up there.
Id certainly consider the X-type - Jaguar are far better at customer service, so its more like a Mondeo with its shine on yes?
Surely the issue is not whether the 300C is a fine car, but will the low rate of depreciation experienced since its launch continue.

Historically the only cars that have had really low depreciation, or even their price appreciate, has been when the manufacturer has restricted supply.

The waiting time for delivery of a RHD Mercedes in UK was up to 2 years. So even 1 year old models sold above list price. £thousands were made by those who had the foresight to order well ahead; even more by those who could get them tax free, pay the import duty and VAT, and sell them.

Mercedes increased supply of RHD cars and the depreciation rate increased.

Morgan similarly restricted supply and similarly had zero depreciation ? on a Morgan!!

The only thing that has kept the 300C from depreciating at least as fast as other cars in its sector is scarcity. Personally I have little doubt that if supplies are increased, values will plummet.

Surely the issue is not whether the 300C is a fine
car, but will the low rate of depreciation experienced since its
launch continue.
The only thing that has kept the 300C from depreciating at
least as fast as other cars in its sector is scarcity.
Personally I have little doubt that if supplies are increased, values
will plummet.

I think that you're right and that eventually we will have the 'day of reckoning'.
But the reason for my initial post was the all knowing doomsayers in the Motoring Press getting the issue of depreciation so totally wrong (& still repeating the wrong information to this day).

MTC
">I think they are well up there. <"

But it's FWD, so ultimately the nose slides and understeer wins the day. OK for most car users, but proper car drivers prefer RWD.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Pete M
>TVM: Traditional Jags had appalling handling.

Can you tell us which Jags?

Mk 7/8/9 1950-1960. A Mk7 won the Monte Carlo Rally on at least one occasion and they were production car raced with some success.
Mk 2/S-Type 1959-1967 Again rally and circuit race successes.
XJ6/12 1969-1992. Voted best car on numerous occasions by magazines and motoring writers. XJ-C was also raced by Leyland/Broadspeed.
C-Type - Won at LeMans 3 times, I think
D-Type - Won at LeMans too
E-Type - Regarded as one of the best handling cars ever
XJ-S Same chassis as XJ6/12, with Magic Carpet ride.

Oh yes, Mk 1, or 2.4 and 3.4 saloons. 1955-1958. Narrow rear track led to some instability, especially with extra power of 3.4. This was never a problem in my 2.4.

So one model out of about a dozen, for about 3 years out of 40 had some undesirable charateristics. The vast majority of classic Jaguar drivers would disagree with your statement.
My 1984 XJ12 is my sixth Jaguar since 1972, having had Mk7, Mk7M, Mk IX, Mk1 and Mk2 before.

you are joking right? they were regarded as dangerous. I need say no more
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - nick
At best, E-types are hairy! But XJ saloons handle brilliantly for the size of car and with a ride quality only matched by a Citroen CX.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Pete M

>>TVM:
you are joking right? they were regarded as dangerous. I need
say no more

No, please, I want to know, who regarded E-Types as dangerous? Is that dangerous as in Triumph Herald, or Chevrolet Corvair, or Porsche 911? Or just dangerous as in 16-year-old doesn't realise just how fast he is going? Was it only Series 1, or are Series 2 and 3 just as dangerous? Perhaps it was 200+ hp on crossply tyres and single piston brakes and poor headlights. But that was only for Series 1 cars.
They must be truly dangerous, as they are worth next to nothing these days, you just can't give them away. I'd sell my Granny for one, even if they are more dangerous than she is.

Sorry to hij@ck this thread, but I couldn't let such an outrageous statement go unchallenged.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Vansboy
Didn't Mr Clarckson & Co, (or maybe anothr TV prog) have an updated & uprated eE Type, which certainly hilighted the 'built to a price' original model?

& I'd still have a 300 Tourer, without a second thought, if I was in the market for BIG estate!!

& looking at the prices in This Weeks Best Deals, it'd be a bargain!!

VB
That was dangerous as in "try to kill the motoring journos of the day" and several of the first buyers.

Yes it was poor suspension, skinny tyres, narrow track, APPALING brakes, and far to much power.

As I said dangerous, and not as you inferred, sweet handling, so we agree on that one then

Dont go off on one tho, nowhere did I mention desireability. Would have I have a pristine Series 1 that I knew would make a widow of Nicolle? Bet your boots I would. Sexiest car made.

Dangerous? it makes them desireable!

But please, dont make out jags were superb handlers. Never were.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Westpig
Dangerous? it makes them desireable!
But please, dont make out jags were superb handlers. Never were.

TVM,

they weren't that bad........what you say is correct, but you need to compare like with like and compare the standards of the day........an early 60's E Type compared with anything else of that era wasn't bad at all.

my step-father used to race/ hill climb E Types in the late 60's and early 70's & to start with they were all virtually bog standard......the pile of cups in my old dear's loft says he must have been fairly successful....so they can't have been that bad

Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - madf
I must say I like the looks. As for complaints about lack of wood:wood is for boats and vintage cars. I've had a few with wood and frankly it's for elederly drivers who cannot afford to join a club in London or live outside: all for show and no action: unless you call the obligatory revarnishing required after 10 years deterioration from sunlight.

Leather smells nice, but it makes slidy seats: burns in the summer and frozen bums in the winter.

Nothing wrong with a nicely finished plastic and metal dash.

I'd rather the money was spent on the engineering unlike mid 60s-80s Jags which had wood and leather and the rust protection of a mid 1970s Fiat .. and whose relaibility made a pre wr car look attractive.

To judge a 300 on those criteria isimo the sign of soemone firmly living in the past..

As long as they keep going, are reliable , fun to drive etc I would have one.

Having said all that, I read about second hand Jeeps. If they are like that, then no thanks..

(I had a Mark3 XJ6 and for a big car it went very well and handled excellently...but compared to a Mercedes 260E the build quality was .. atrocious..Mind you it has a wooden dashboard so that's all right .. it must have been high quality!:-)))))

madf
I forgot to add: yes a Early E Type handled badly. But the best handling UK car of that era was a Lotus Elan. I had a standard one: and the handling by today's standards was ho-hum.

Remember this was all nearly 50 years ago and standards have improved.. a lot...

An E series Mercedes on the 1980s- early 1990s is a nice car to drive but drive it hard in the wet and it's a handful imo... (bet you never read that in the road tests)

Times have changed.. to judge a 40 year old car on current standards is just plain wrong....
madf
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - machika
Well, Peugeot produced some great handling cars twenty years ago, namely 205, 309 and 405, and I think they would still stand up quite well with modern cars.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - machika
If the 300C is hard to get hold of, why are drivethedeal.com offering it with a discount of over £3500?
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Brian Tryzers
> If the 300C is hard to get hold of...

I suspect the truth is more like it WAS hard to get hold of for a little while three months ago but these fashion blips don't last long. I remember when the PT Cruiser was launched there were reports of people paying over the odds and even of fights over the last one on a rental lot. Now - well, I don't want a three-month-old PT Cruiser at any price but I suspect I could buy one with the loose change I'd find in my sofa.

Fact is that cars depreciate, new cars depreciate fast and while a very few cars manage to depreciate less quickly, I can't see the 300C, whatever the supply problems, remaining in that group for long. MTC evidently likes his and that's fair enough, but I suspect the chance to cash in on it has been and gone.

As for Chrysler restricting supply in the UK, it sounds more like they've realized that the 300C is popular in Eastern Europe (where customers wear those big fur hats over their ears and so can't hear the comments of passers-by >;---) ) and so they're building for that market instead.
If the 300C is hard to get hold of, why are
drivethedeal.com offering it with a discount of over £3500?

The big discounts are being offered on the HEMI 5.7lt V8 and the V6 petrol and also on the less popular Touring (estate versions)------- although, saying that, the first "GENUINE" discounts are now appearing at brokers and DC dealers are at long last breaking the price as well on CRD saloons (not by a great deal, but breaking the prices none the less).
Also, the loooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggg waiting lists of last year appear to be disappearing. The wait for a CRD saloon is now a lot shorter that it was last year.
It may be that the times are a changing !
MTC
to judge a 40 year old car on current standards is just plain wrong

Question number 1
Which car had better handling
A: 1959 BMC Mini
B: 1961 Jaguar E type

Question number 2
Which car won three monte carlo rallies in the 1960's
A: A jaguar of any description?
B: The mini

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Question 1 and 2 relate to 40 years ago,
Case proved
:-))

No relevance to Chrysler 300...:-)))

madf
Question number 1
Question number 2
Which car won three monte carlo rallies in the 1960's
A: A jaguar of any description?
B: The mini

Answer 1..... not really a fair comparison.....you are cherry picking one car......the mini was always an extremely good handling car.......but very unsafe in an accident, did your back in over any kind of bump, pokey to get in and out... etc, etc...compare any kind of late 50's/ early 60's sports car/saloon car with an E Type

Answer 2,..... A Jag did win the Monte Carlo, (not 3 times admittedley) 1956, a mk VII.....crewed by Ronnie Adams and Frank Biggar... which is an amazing achievement really when they've never been designed for that sort of thing....

Furthermore look at the success of the mark II in saloon racing in the 60's......it was virtually untouchable at that time.

Question number 1

What, at 130 mph around a long sweeping corner? The Jag, every time.
Rather you than me Micky.
It's OK, I'll wear my safety glasses ....
....and make sure your last will & testament is up to date!
Yes.

I'm not certain how the E-type ended up in this thread, I was considering the XJ series as a fine example of a decent ride quality with good handling, none of this "bobbling" nonsense caused by incorrect spring rate and poorly selected dampers yet no wallowing in the style of a hippo.

There are very few BTCC cars today that could catch a Leyland/Broadspeed Jag at, say, Snetterton. Until the Jag broke down of course :-( :-(
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Pugugly {P}
"Leyland/Broadspeed Jag" or a Quakerstate XJ12 !
"Leyland/Broadspeed Jag" or a Quakerstate XJ12 !

Yes! The Jag V12 was such an under-used engine, 550bhp+ in touring car tune, and the XJC was very understated and very British (can I type that here?). Usual BL problems, outstanding concept but let the customer do the R&D. Oh dear, I'm going to rant ....... No, no, the moment has passed.
I'm not certain how the E-type ended up in this thread.

Me neither, but its all great knockabout stuff.

I was out repping in my car yesterday and left it parked outside a cafe while I had a brew. (quiet little road side cafe, not a motorway services).
In the time that it took me to drain amug black coffee, 14 people had had a right good look over the car - the most common thing being to get right close to the grille badge to check out what the car brand was (I think).

Naturally, I can't say if they liked the 300C, or disliked it - but they were all curious enough to have a closer look.

MTC
Love it or Loathe it. No one can dispute it has presence. Its never not going to be noticed.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
the 300C gets my vote........for the sheer presence..........my first thoughts were Bentley wannabee.......but in all reality is that a bad thing.......i know nothing of the interior quality... & any trips i've had to the States have amazed me at how dire some of their stuff is, so i'd want to check that out.

it's definitley a head turner and i consider it to be a positive thing........one of the reasons i went for an S Type..ie. not much else looks like it..........(sneery types liken the S type to a Rover 75......so what, that's a good car as well)
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Vin {P}

MTC said: "I was out repping...."

"Rapping", surely?

V

">14 people had had a right good look over the car<"

But who would buy a car because people looked at it? Surely anyone with taste would buy a car for agility, the ability to make good progress on twisty British roads, and a general sense of decorum and modesty? In other words, a gentleman's car. Which rather rules out the Jag with its caddish image. The hideous Bristol perhaps? Errr..... Ho hum.

Still, each to their own.
">14 people had had a right good look over the car<"
But who would buy a car because people looked at it?
Surely anyone with taste would buy a car for agility, the
ability to make good progress on twisty British roads, and a
general sense of decorum and modesty? In other words, a gentleman's
car. Which rather rules out the Jag with its caddish image.
The hideous Bristol perhaps? Errr..... Ho hum.
Still, each to their own.

Perhaps a sticker - "my other car is a Hummer"
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - JH
I though LJKS was dead? Oh, my mistake, the Bristol remark gives it away!
JH
"> I though LJKS was dead?<"

I am honoured, if only momentarily. I've tried to admire Bristols, the concept is good, they are very British (except for the powerplants) but the styling is very idiosyncratic. Perhaps I should look past the styling and concentrate on the function and the uniqueness.
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - montpellier
Here's the price of a 2006 , Xenon, auto transmission,leather, GPS, heated seats, sunroof, 300C 3.0 Crd with around15.000 Miles in the Paris ,France region. 34900 Euro or £23,697 incl VAT. How does that compare to the UK?
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - montpellier
and the link:

www.lacentrale.fr/occasion-details-voiture-chrysle...l
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Geordie1
About the same...Parkers Used Car Price Guide lists a 55 reg 300C CRD from a Chrysler main dealership at £24k+ or £23k+ from a non-Chrysler dealer.
Against the £25750 that i paid for Arnie in January 2006.

MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - grafen
MTC - Is yours the diesel? If so, what's it like on juice?
MTC - Is yours the diesel? If so, what's it like
on juice?

It is the CRD, yes. Off each tankfull of mixed drivingh, I get 35 mpg. On a long distance motorway drive, with Cruise control set to 80-85 mph, I get 40 mpg. On economy runs, it'll pitch in with about 43-44 mpg.
But if you do a lot of journeys without the engine getting fully warm (& it takes 8-9 miles to get fully to temp if you drive normally) or a lot of urban mileage, the consumption increases quite dramatically.
Interestingly enough, a protracted, high speed Autobahm run (not by me BTW) still gets good consumption figures.

MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - grafen
Cheers for your reply. Pretty good for the size & weight of the car. The one thing that would concern me if I was to buy one, would be unwanted attention by undesirables. Often the problem with very classy & distinctive looking motors...
Cheers for your reply. Pretty good for the size & weight
of the car. The one thing that would concern me if
I was to buy one, would be unwanted attention by undesirables.

It's never been a problem for me to date (touch wood) - but I do regularly have people stopping for a chat about just what the car is, what engine it has etc, etc. I'm on a forum for 300c owners and noone else has said anything untoward has happened to them either.

MTC
I thought about you lot on here when I went for a drive in the Lake District today -- and this piccie is particularly for all those that say the 300C is to big for our roads.

tinyurl.com/yvsm2g

In case anyone is curious, this is the back road to Tarn Hows, Near Coniston.

MTC
The estate look much better.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
T'is all in the eye of the beholder :)
MTC
Wicked MTC, no two ways about it.

Love the number plate too. Ace of diamonds is it? :o)
Horrendous Chrysler 300C depreciation - Vin {P}
MTC, you know how much I love these cars.

You have, however, chosen to photograph it from the worst ange possible, i.e. one where you can see the back. I do wish they had got it better.

V

P.S. Nice spot you found there.
MTC, you know how much I love these cars.
You have, however, chosen to photograph it from the worst ange
possible, i.e. one where you can see the back. I
do wish they had got it better.

They did, its called the 300C estate!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Wicked MTC, no two ways about it.
Love the number plate too. Ace of diamonds is it?

noooooooooooooooo, its the St Georges Cross :)

& Vin, this one is particularly for you.

tinyurl.com/2eartz

MTC
Horrendous Chrysler 300C: depreciation - Brian Tryzers
Is there a punctuation mark missing from the title of this thread? };---)

Anyway, did anyone else see last week's Dragons' Den, in which Deborah Meaden arrived, for a meeting with one of her new partners, in the back seat of a lurid silver 300C?
Horrendous Chrysler 300C: depreciation - Murphy The Cat
Anyway, did anyone else see last week's Dragons' Den, in which
Deborah Meaden arrived, for a meeting with one of her new
partners, in the back seat of a lurid silver 300C?

I did !!!!!!!! I think that the car had the Startech body kit on it - a bit of a Marmite situation.

MTC