Killer trees - oilrag
It seems every week there is a TV image of a barely damaged roadside tree that has been hit by a car. The outcome is usually a crushed car and dead or crippled car occupants.
I can understand the scenic and environmental value, but not why they are still being planted at about a yard from the roadside.
An example is where a new road has been built round the edges of an industrial estate. It sweeps down from a ridge (Albert drive off the A638 Junct 40 MI) OK its a 30MPH zone, but if ever there was a place for a kid to speed or race, thats it.
Now someone has planted a row of trees about 1 yard from the pavement both sides of the road as it goes downhill round a bend.
This road is high and exposed in winter and the trees now a few years old are thickening nicely.
Another few years and there will likely be bunches of flowers fastened to one of them. Why are such obvious hazards placed there in modern times?
Killer trees - stunorthants26
>Why are such obvious hazards placed there in modern times? <

The hazard is the idiot driver who hits the tree. Trees dont jump out and hit cars ( unless you drive through a tornado ). Id rather the idiot hits a tree than another car with children in it thank you.
Plant more trees I say!

Killer trees - Ruperts Trooper
When the tree was planted, it was probably 5-10 metres from the cart track, when speeding horses and carts weren't a problem, but the road has no doubt been repeatedly "improved" by widening so now it's adjacent to the road.

Calls for lower speed limits are pointless in preventing future accidents caused by drivers IGNORING speed limits.

There's no such thing as a "Road Traffic Accident" - a small percentage of collisions are caused by mechanical failure but in the vast majority of cases, Road Traffic Collisions are caused by driver error.
Killer trees - Ben 10

" Theres no such thing as a "Road Traffic Accident"-"

Yes there is. Look up "Accident" in the OED. It is the correct term.

Killer trees - martint123
If it wasn't a tree, it would be the ditch or fence or other car. ISTR a photo on one of the sites of a wreath on a speed camera pole.
You can't line every road with armco.
Killer trees - Bill Payer
It does seem stupid to me, but these days I'd be amazing if anything new that's planted isn't a risk assessed, snap-offable in an accident, variety of tree. And probably non-shedding too, in case the leaves make the road slippy.
Around where I live a lot road signs are having their solid posts replaced with latticework versions for safety reasons.
Killer trees - bell boy
Around where I live a lot road signs are having their solid posts replaced with latticework versions for safety reasons.

and near me..............at what cost though to us ratepayers that know how to turn a steering wheel rather than how to throw a maccy used wrapper out of the side window
signed.......annoyed of the north..............
Killer trees - henry k

Around where I live the normal road name signs are being replaced with plastic ones. Oh no, thats cos the old ones are nicked for scrap value.
Killer trees - kithmo
>Why are such obvious hazards placed there in modern times? < The hazard is the idiot driver who hits the tree. Trees dont jump out and hit cars ( unless you drive through a tornado ). Id rather the idiot hits a tree than another car with children in it thank you. Plant more trees I say!

Yeah, plant some down the central white line as well ;0)

Killer trees - L'escargot
It seems every week there is a TV image of a
barely damaged roadside tree that has been hit by a car.

I take your point, but it's an ill wind etc. The tree that is in line with one of our boundaries helps to stop people driving over the start of our block paved drive which goes right up to the edge of the road surface because there is no pavement or kerb.
--
L\'escargot.
Killer trees - IanJohnson
Let Darwin's theory continue to work. Sometimes it is the tree that dies, if the tree is big enough it is the driver. As has been mentioned most of these large trees were there before the internal combustion engine was invented, many will still be there after they have all gone!

When my 17 year old spun his Corsa I showed him some of the photos on wreckedexotics and made a point of taking him back to the site and pointing the trees he had been lucky not to hit. I believe it calmed him down a bit - he was suitably shocked at the time.

Recent theory suggest that removing road markings etc (actually making the road appear more risky) is better at reducing speeds than making the roads safer! Similar to the 6 inch spike on the steering wheel - so leave the trees where they are.

Killer trees - henry k
I have a photo that I took just a few years ago, near Heathrow.
It shows a proper triangular warning sign with the words "Trees removed".

It was on my commute route and I think I know what it is supposed to mean but as a stranger what would your reaction be to such a sign except to be puzzled and slow down.
Answers on a postcard ?
Killer trees - L'escargot
It shows a proper triangular warning sign with the words "Trees
removed".

It wouldn't mean anything to me. Was it to wind up Swampy and his ilk?
--
L\'escargot.
Killer trees - SteveLee
"Let Darwin's theory continue to work."

Too late for that mate, the welfare state took care of natural selection through ability...

Let the trees be, motoring is dangerous - people die - but the death rate in this country is at a perfectly acceptable level given the population density.

Killer trees - Vin {P}
Darwin rules OK.

V
Killer trees - glowplug
Typical of modern Britain, motorist loses control so blame something else. This isn't a lack of compassion but I think this blame culture is leading to a compassionless society.

More trees and windfarms.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
Killer trees - madf
I drive along a road (Biddulph to Congleton) which is tree lined and one of the trees ended up with a smashed car embedded in it plus a dead driver. The presence of the tree was irrelevant as there was a killer wall 2 metres behind it.

(It is a 30mph limit and now has a speed camera which does now restrain the speeding puppets).

But if we follow the logic to its final and absurd conclusion, pedestrian safety barriers near schools should be removed as they pose a threat to drivers.:-(

madf
Killer trees - mjm
I can think of no good reason to plant trees close to a road, whatever the speed limit prevailing. The trees may well have been there before the road, but a rutted cart track was probably there before the road. Do we want to revert back to that, as well?
It is not always the driver who collides with the tree who comes off worse, a glancing impact throwing the car across the road may well take out an innocent party. They will be just as dead as if they hit the tree. How is that a ?Darwin? effect?
Visibility is often reduced, masking pedestrians of all ages. It can almost be guaranteed that maintenance on the trees will be neglected leading to overhanging branches, leaves left uncleared etc. This leads to slippery patches, and unthawed ice. Why take the risk?
A local road that I use is tree lined both sides. The trees are actually at least 10 feet from the road edge and on one side are behind a wall. They are so neglected that the branches actually overlap to form a tunnel. Even in high summer visibility is severely restricted. Most of these trees are old and starting to shed branches, some branches are even dislodged by high vehicles. Some of the ones on the wall side of the road are causing the wall to become unsafe. Is that safe? Why should the motorist have to risk the wall collapsing or a tree being blown down or a large branch falling?
I would rather have a wide, clear area both sides of the road, thank you very much.
Killer trees - Lud
Around 1960, hitching up the Rhone valley near Aix en Provence during the Mistral, strong enough to blow you about and make it impossible to stand in one place without staggering.

Got a lift in one of those slab-sided biggish Citroen vans, up a long straight route nationale with poplar trees close to the road on both sides. Every vehicle on the road was being blown from side to side of it, so that they were using the whole road. Thanks to the practised skill of their drivers, however, they always seemed to miss each other in the event, although the whole thing was quite alarming.

Passed a DS buried nose first in a tree, but it didn't look as if anyone had been killed.
Killer trees - Lud
I would add: trees shouldn't be taken away just because they are close to roads. This country simply isn't big enough for that. If a tree is thought to be a hazard, put a bit of armco to deflect any car heading towards it.
Killer trees - madf
" would rather have a wide, clear area both sides of the road, thank you very much. "

On that logic, all pedestrian crossings plus warning lights should be removed. Plus all traffic lights/all safety barriers, all bridges on motorways should be widened .. etc...:-)

madf
Killer trees - cockle {P}
If trees near the roadside are that much of a problem then why does humankind insist on putting telephone poles and street lights, which are just as hard and thick as many trees, within a couple of feet of the kerb, surely all these should be placed at the rear of the pavement away from the kerb. Placed away from the kerb they would also not obscure any pedestrians, particularly thinking of small children, waiting to cross a road from the sightline of motorists.
Killer trees - mjm
Madf,

I'm thinking more about rural roads than urban, here. Obviously street furniture is necessary for pedestrian crossings etc. In my town we have a crossroads where emerging traffic from the minor roads have their view obscured by parked cars both sides of the junction. Literally within a few yards of the junction is a pedestrian crossing. A few yards past that is a telephone kiosk sited on a narrow pavement, blocking it, in fact. The area is a nightmare.

Cockle,

I don't know if your comments are tic, but moving poles etc to the back of the pavement, or at least a few feet back if the pavement is a wide one and cantilevering the pedestrian crossing lights out to improve visibility for both drivers and pedestrians is a good idea.

Visibility and observation are vital to road safety, more important imho than speed cameras.

I am not saying that all trees should be cleared back away from the road, just that it seems, as the op said, silly to plant new ones there, just as it is dangerous not to manage those that are already there.
Killer trees - PhilW
Of course, you could argue that a solid line of trees or lamp posts, metal poles etc on the edge of the road might protect pedestrians from "killer cars"! Why do we insist on having pavements/cycle tracks next to cars which could be doing any speed up to (!) 70 mph?
Money, I guess.

--
Phil
Killer trees - cockle {P}
No, mjm, not really tic.
About 30 years ago I was involved in planning the telephone provision for a new housing estate in Essex and , having lived in Southend all my life, automatically planned all the poles to be placed at the kerbside of the pavement only to be told that that was fine in Southend Council territory but not in the rest of Essex as Essex County insisted all poles, etc., should be placed at the rear of the pavement for precisely the reasons I outlined previously. Apparently Southend Council's argument was that having the poles at the back of the pavement close to front walls made the streets untidy in that rubbish became trapped between wall and pole and it also made their street cleaners' job more difficult as it was more difficult to sweep round a pole against a wall.
Not really looked that much recently but the difference still existed with the established street furniture certainly until quite recently.

Also I've never understood why street lights always seem to be placed on the outside of a bend, precisely where rally and race marshals are told not to stand in case a driver loses control. There is a road near me where the lights actually change from one side of the road to the other to be on the outsides of first a left hand bend and then a right hand bend, unsurprisingly they get regularly hit.

As for drivers being poor if they are unable to miss these obstacles at the road side, admittedly there are some who through lack of ability or sheer disregard for road conditions put themselves at risk but there are also instances where a driver may lose control with far less contribution on his part; a sudden blow out comes to mind, purely because I once suffered one and found myself unceremoniously dumped in a ditch having narrowly missed a lamp post and a tree on the way, as much by luck as skill.

Regardless of the pros and cons of road furniture placing I'm afraid it just adds to the impression of poor, piecemeal road planning that we suffer from in the UK.
Killer trees - henry k
>>I would rather have a wide, clear area both sides of the road, thank you very much.
>>
Beware of my area.
In the otherwise "normal public road" where I live there are two small pear trees happily growing in the normal width paved pavement and they have, in the last few years started to fruit in abundance.
Now they do make a really squishy road.

Wher I used to live, again a normal road, had a massive cedar tree growing IN the tarmac of the road.
No armco, IIRC no white stripes, no warnings, no kerbs around it, nothing.
I could ride my bike between the tree and the kerb and I have never sen any damage to the tree.
How things have changed re H & S.
Killer trees - JH
Vin
'fraid not. Darwinism in humans was killed off by medical science :-(
JH
Killer trees - nick
I find the best thing with trees is to avoid hitting them.
Killer trees - nortones2
To true Nick. I think (as it is a while since formal training etc) that one of the principles in advanced driving is to bear escape routes in mind, in the event of a hazard. Given that trees are not an uncommon feature, is it not strange that a trained driver is unable to take action to avoid hitting trees at speed? Of course, one riposte is that the OP was thinking of the multitude of untrained drivers, at risk. I'd prefer to preserve the trees: its the drivers that are supposed to be sentient.
Killer trees - Bagpuss
I have no opinion about the subject but this has to be the best thread title I've seen for a while.
Killer trees - Sim-O
I went to Portugal, on the Algarve, earlier this year and stayed in a Villa on an estate that was only a couple of years old, and driving round it to get to our villa, we came across a tree.
It was at a T-junction, and it was where, if you were coming up from the bottom of the T, driving on the left as if you're in britain, was where you would stop if you were turning right, so, I think we are lucky that the trees are only on the side of the road!
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Killer trees - Stuartli
As Lud points out, 'Continental roads are lined with hundreds of trees in many area and there are (usually) no kerbs...:-)

Bit hair-raising on the narrower roads as local drivers are usually flat out and there's very little margin for error as you approach.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Killer trees - Malcolm_L
French roads which spring to mind whenever folk talk about tree lined roads are under threat and have been for some time

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1425829.stm

Cause and effect - I'm of the opinon that the cause needs dealing with first, there are plenty of roads where houses are close to the road, should we knock down any potentially dangerous houses because folk can't control their cars and keep crashing into them?
Killer trees - oilrag

So far, it`s cars 2 trees 0.

One tree totally annihilated - leaving a gap - and another ripped off at 1` high. That re-grew and is now 10` tall.

Killer trees - Leif

Fraid I take the opinion of many here. Those daft enough to drive into a tree usually have only themselves to blame. There are some cases, such as high speed roads, and roads where ice is known to form, that trees should not be allowed. An acquaintance died when he rode his motorbicycle into a tree. Sad, but it was entirely his fault.

Killer trees - NowWheels

i hink that the trees should be arrested and charged with passive aggression.

Killer trees - corax

The more trees near the road the better. I love driving through those dark tunnels of trees that have been shaped by artics in the summer, especially through Kent. It makes the road more interesting, and it's like natural air conditioning. And if you hit one, tough, they've usually been there a lot longer than the road.

As for the trees that are planted near the roadside - think of them as traffic calmers, like the dry stone walls in Yorkshire!

Killer trees - davecooper

I thought there had been studies into this where street furniture had been blamed for many injuries and this had led to a redesign of many items and careful planning when installing such furniture. Was a feature not done on Top Gear or Fifth Gear some time ago showing how one of the Scandinavian countries (I think) were taking this very seriously and were leading the way in this field.

Killer trees - Sofa Spud

Round our way, a few years ago, traffic calming chicanes were introduced in two villages. In each village there was a fatal head-on collision at one of the new chicanes soon after they were installed. In another village, just after a 30 mph limit was introduced, an impatient driver overtook a car that was keeping to the limit, crossing double white lines and hitting an oncoming moped, killing the rider. The driver got a substantial prison sentence.

Just proves that ANYTHING on the road is potentially dangerous.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 28/05/2010 at 23:32