Difficulty in removing cooling fan. - Dai O
Hi guys i have a problem with my off side cooling fan.

I have got a replacement but i am having problems removing the old one

I have removed the front grill area exposing the blades, i have removed the cir clip on the blades but it would budge.

I note from the new motor it has three bolts holding it in place but with the blades still on it makes it impossble to get to these bolts

Anyone help me out there

Cheers guys

Dai O

Edited by Pugugly on 26/01/2009 at 23:02

PUG 306 cooling fan - elekie&a/c doctor
Use a hot air gun to heat the plastic fan hub.This should release it from the metal shaft of the motor.You will probably end up wrecking the fan,but a new motor from GSF car parts comes complete with new blades.hth
PUG 306 cooling fan - ChrisMo
We had a fan go on our 306, it was scraping it's surround and clanking really badly.
Haynes says to drain cooling system and remove radiator to get access to the nuts as they are bolted from the back as you've discovered.
The garage took the front bumper off to get access rather than take rad out. We replaced both fans as a precaution as the other one was starting to become a bit loose.

Chris

PUG 306 cooling fan - robbie1980
Hi,

I know ur posts we a while back but ill try anyway.

I'm having the same problem with the blades and case catching on the fan shrouds.

Did you find what caused this? were the tilted forward due to corrosion on how they were held on?

I also dont want to take the rad out so any advice on how to take the front bumper off and whether you then put new fans on only - without taking the fan motors off - which seems apparently hard to do from the thread.

Advice welcome

1999V 1.8i XS 16v

Thanks
Rob

Edited by robbie1980 on 26/01/2009 at 22:30

PUG 306 cooling fan - Pugugly
Rob,

I've e-mailed him for you - No sure when he was here last.

Rob (as well !)
PUG 306 cooling fan - Dai O
Hey Rob

Na never got around to changing it, went to a few garages and they all said rad off to do the job.

As you said getting the bolts out is the biggest problem, The replacement motor i had also came with blades so i have even tried hacking the original blades off to get more access with no joy.

i'm selling my car soon so someone else's problem, have had one eye on my temperature gauage for the last 2 years, then again i only do short trips at off peak times, the joys of shift work so never get stuck in standing traffic, otherwise it would be changed somehow.

Good luck mate

Dai

Thanks Mod for looking me up.
PUG 306 cooling fan - ChrisMo
The motor itself was the problem with ours, the spindle was loose so changing the blades wouldn't have helped.

I don't know how they got the bumper off, but the Haynes book doesn't make it look too hard a job, looks like a few nuts to undo!