Mondeo poor fuel consumption - Richard Huddleston
1996 2.0l Auto, no aircon. Urban varies between 22(aargh!) and about 27(poor but acceptable) mpg. On the motorway it can be about 37-40mpg. Not the usual suspects of brakes binding, leaking fuel or blocked air filter. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Mondeo poor fuel consumption - adverse camber
I would have thought that that was normal with that sort of vehicle. 2l Auto isnt going to be great in town.

has it started getting worse recently or something ?
Mondeo poor fuel consumption - oldtoffee
My '97 Mondeo, 100,000 miles, 2.0 manual used to only manage mid to high 20's around town and short journeys. fast long runs would be in the high 30s maybe 40 so I don't think you're doing too badly especially given it is an auto.
Mondeo poor fuel consumption - caesar
As neils says im sure my old 98 2.0 manual was about 23 mile to the gallon for town driving and averaged about 28/29 for pottering around.
Mondeo poor fuel consumption - TheOilBurner
I've had two of these, a 1994 2.0 Auto Ghia and a 1995 2.0 Auto Ghia. Both were used with air-con on sometimes and gave me about 30mpg with mixed driving and mid 20s with urban driving.

However, it's worth checking the t-pipe on the crankcase breather as this regularly splits and will help contribute to poor fuel economy. Look on Mondeo specific websites for more info. It's a very cheap part, less than £3 (yep, three pounds) IIRC.
Mondeo poor fuel consumption - DP
However, it's worth checking the t-pipe on the crankcase breather as
this regularly splits and will help contribute to poor fuel economy.

Usually a lumpy / erratic idle as well.

Cheers
DP
Mondeo poor fuel consumption - Simon
I have to agree that your fuel consumption doesn't sound too far away from what you should expect. There can't be too much wrong with it because you manage to get 37-40 mpg on the motorway, which sounds about normal.

Is this a car that you have just aquired or is it one you have had for a while and have suddenly found your fuel consumption getting worse?
Mondeo poor fuel consumption - TurboD
40?, how did you do that?
I have a 2l Mondeo Zetec and never have had 40 , only 36 on a run. But I tend to hoof it a bit.
I am afraid it goes very nicely up the outside lane.
But in town - 25 and it's manual.
never belive those silly brochures car delaers give you!
Mondeo poor fuel consumption - Sprice
Apart from the other suggestions, low tyre pressures, poor wheel tracking, unnecessary weight in the boot etc all decrease mpg.