Tramlining again - Chas Baker
Sorry, I know that the discussion on tramlining has probably exhausted itself now but I've only just got round to reading the previous discussion threads. I saw Honest John's reply to the Omega owner concerning tramlining and it immediately made me think this is exactly the problem with my 320i Coupe.

I did write about the problem on this forum some months ago - unnerving veering handling on rough roads but fine on good roads - and got some useful suggestions but no-one mentioned tramlining. However I don't think the problem is just "normal" for the 320i Coupe as up to 6 months ago I didn't have the problem. It just started one day and the only thing that I can think of was that I had some new tyres shortly before that (but they are the recommended tyres for the vehicle). I am therefore loathe to tak HJ's advice to sell the car and buy another.

Has anybody had a similar problem with the 320i Coupe? Did anyone manage to cure it? Presumably the answer must lie somewhere in suspension, tracking, tyres, steering etc? Any suggestions would be welcome (but please not from the comic who last time told me that he didn't have such problems because "he was richer than me and could afford a much better car" Heh,ho!)

Thanks
Chas
Re: Tramlining again - Trevor Potter
Tramlining is as a result of tyre / road surface /weather.
AND whether you are braking (lightly or medium) Or acclerating (lightly or medium).
Very difficult to repeat exactly circumstances even for any given stretch of road.
HOWEVER, some tyres are much more prone to tramlining
(see www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp).

EVERYBODY should check out this website before buying tyres.

Hope thats been some help.

Trevor Potter
Re: Tramlining again - Paul Richards
I experienced similar problems with a 320Ci - not only tramlining but also a vagueness above 90 m.p.h which I found rather inappropriate for "the ultimate driving machine". Mine was registered in Jan 2001, so did not include the latest steering and suspension mods that were made in the October 2001 revamp. I have spoken to several people with a close knowledge of this model and they confirm H.J`s recent comments regarding the Omega, that the sport suspension settings along with the lower profile tyres are the source of the problem. Have now sold the vehicle and changed to a 5 series 530d, which handles and rides superbly, and of course is quite a bit faster than the 320Ci with a 0 to 60 time of 7.8 secs in manual format.
Re: Tramlining again - smokie
I am an Omega MV6 owner who used to suffer this badly. The car was on original (?) Michelins which were worn but nowhere near limit (i.e. bars in tread).

After paying a Vauxhall dealer about £200 to not fix the problem (wheel bearing changed on a whim - car had less than 25k on it - didn't bother calling me before going ahead) I took the car to my local tyre depot (Total Tyres, Bracknell) who checked and finely tuned the tracking etc, still to no avail.

I took a decision to change all four tyres. The Michelin were high cost (£440 the set - not quite as bad as Kwik Fit at well over £600!) so Total recommended B F Goodrich saying they were a good tyre. All 4 done for just over £300, and problem >>>>>>completely cured<<<<<<<<.

btw I asked them what the difference would be between £300 and £600 tyres, they said the more expensive would wear better, but in my opinion that could only be proven true if I put one of each on each side - and even then that would not be conclusive.
Re: Tramlining again - Trevor Potter
It is of course true that tyre wear rates vary (maybe even significantly).
However "they said the more expensive would wear better" should be treated with derision.
As a general rule, the tyres with greater wet-road grip will wear faster - Example :- Bridgestone S-02 - superb grip, life of 10K.

Your choice.

Just for the record, my current favourite is Dunlop SP9000.