Vauxhall Vectra (MK1) Are they that bad. - Pugugly {P}

Bumped into a guy that does youth work for the local Youth Offending Team. He uses his own car a 2001 Vectra petrol (2 litre) - his mileage 230,000 miles, he bought it 5k up as a "bargain". 225,000 miles later serviced in accordance with Vauxhall's recommendations it's never come to an involantary halt, it run like new, yes it's had load of bits but it's done nearly a quarter of a million miles. Probably sell it for a grand or so if he chose. A cracking car by any measure ! Oh and the thing polishes up like a new car. Is he a mug ?
VAuxhall Vectra (MK1) Are they that bad. - tr7v8
It's still grey porridge though, 230K in one of them would make me reach for the gun or the poison!
Obviously one that didn't suffer the porous heads, chocolate belt tensioners etc that they were renowned for.
VAuxhall Vectra (MK1) Are they that bad. - Marc
Sounds like he's looked after the car properly and it's served him well.

I do think part of the reason Fords and Vauxhalls get a bad rep is because people treat them as disposable items, ie badly, and therefore don't bother with correct servicing - hence the problems.

On a 2001, it will be a Vectra B, ie a facelift version 99T onwards. I was under the impression a lot of the initial problems were ironed out at this stage...
VAuxhall Vectra (MK1) Are they that bad. - stunorthants26
I loved the MK1 Vectra GSi - real blunt instrument but the engine sounds good and its a real working class bruiser.
VAuxhall Vectra (MK1) Are they that bad. - Dynamic Dave
He uses his own car a 2001 Vectra petrol (2 litre)

You sure it's a 2.0 litre Pugugly? Reason I asked was because Vauxhall did away with the 2 litre engine in favour of the 2.2 litre engine that was first fitted in the VX220 in mid 2000 (IIRC).
Are they that bad.

Er, no, but a lot of people on this site do seem to have it in for the Vectra. An opinion left over from the pre face lift model (granted it did have it's problems) and Clarkson's views no doubt.
VAuxhall Vectra (MK1) Are they that bad. - Hamsafar
Higher Spec Vectras were/are OK, better suspension, seats, steering wheel, trim, instruments, glass -the list goes on, it all adds up and makes a difference. The trouble with such base fleet cars as Mondeo and Vectra is the market is flooded with neglected poverty spec examples.
VAuxhall Vectra (MK1) Are they that bad. - Stuartli
My neighbour across the road has an 04 registered Vectra in silver - not sure of the engine - but it's as comfortable and classy as most judging by several lifts I've been given - and certainly way ahead of the original models from the mid-1990s.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
VAuxhall Vectra (MK1) Are they that bad. - catsdad
Mine was terrible. It was an R reg 2.0 CDX and in 3 years and 50,000 miles it had no less than 20 faults. None stopped it running but all were irritating. Those I can remember were: seat seams popped open, computer display failed, trim fell off window, speakers rattled, etc etc. Luckily it was a company car and in warranty. I guess by now many of these irritants will have been sorted out by seconfd owners but why risk buying one when there are so many more reliable alternatives.
VAuxhall Vectra (MK1) Are they that bad. - Stuartli
There's quite a period between an R-registered Vauxhall and an 2001 model as mentioned by Puygugle {P}.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
VAuxhall Vectra (MK1) Are they that bad. - Sprice
There's quite a period between an R-registered Vauxhall and an 2001
model as mentioned by Puygugle {P}.

Doesn't make his post any less valid!
VAuxhall Vectra (MK1) Are they that bad. - cheddar
I had a early '96 2.0 SRi, very well equipped, cracking engine, crisp and free revving, though soggy handling and loads of faults, it was replaced by a '98 V6 SRi estate that was less probelmatic in itself though suffered at the hands of the incompetant dealers.

Revised SRi's were introduced alonside the GSi in spring 98 (these were called '98.5 models IIRC) they had revised from suspension with an extra link that transformed the handling, mods that were later introduced across the range at the time of the facelift.

I too would have thought that a 2001 model would be a 2.2 rather than a 2.0 though the 2.0 was a fine engine despite being belt cam and ironically the early 2.2s had chain related problems caused by dirty oil blocking oilways.

A well cared for 5 or 6 year old Vectra could be real VFM and the estate is very practical without being over long and over wide.
Vauxhall Vectra B (not mk1) - Ruperts Trooper
The Vectra A was the Opel equivalent of our Cavalier mk3. The first Vauxhall Vectra was the B which replaced the Cavalier.

I always felt that the Vectra B was a backward step from the Cavalier mk3. GM didn't improve any of the Cavalier's faults and introduced some new ones.

I had a couple of mk2 Cavaliers and three mk3s. The prospect of a Vectra B was so depressing I hung on to my '95 Cavalier until the mk4 Astra came out as it had more interior room than the Vectra B and was more reliable. That's a decision I haven't regretted one bit.