My wife is car hunting alone! - daveyjp
My wife has been looking for an Aygo since she test drove one a few months ago. At the time there were a number of ex demos around at dealers for around the £6500 mark ? 5 door + or sport with aircon. We have checked C1 and 107, but 5 door with aircon are very rare.

Since then prices seem to have been ?realigned? and dealers have increased asking prices by at least £500-1000. She found one for sale privately, but a HPI check revealed outstanding finance, despite the seller stating she paid cash for the car when we asked her directly, so we walked.

With nothing better to do than surf the net my wife has now found two more ? both 12 months old, 5 door Sport with aircon.

Car One 12 months old 23,000 miles £6791 ? 30 miles away
Car Two 12 months old 5,500 miles £6,995 ? 200 miles away

She called the dealer of car 1 and the fun started.

?The price on screen is £6,999 ? £6791 is a web price.
It has no tax so we?ll throw that in, it?s only £40 a year so hardly a deal maker.

Told them it was too high
Rang back half an hour later ? we can do it for £6,600

We won?t do the trip to look until he gets to £6,500 and then start negotiations.

Now rang back we can do it for £6,500 if you pay a deposit over the phone. Needless to say that received a no.

Mileage isn?t much of an issue as we will do low mileage so by the time we get rid the mileage will be in line with what is expected after 3 or 4 years.

Tyres, brakes and bodywork will get a close inspection and we expect a lengthy test drive.

She is looking for as near as £6,000 as possible. Parkers for the same car with 10,000 miles and no aircon is £6495. Glasses suggest £5730 as a part ex price.

Any other tips?
My wife is car hunting alone! - yorkiebar
Dont even attempt to negotiate til u have seen it.

You will get to a fixed price and then when you arrive you will be the one over the barrel because he will know you want it for the price you have got to !

You ned to see it and knock price down for problems/niggles/concerns not just because the price is what you want to pay .

It could be a right dog !
My wife is car hunting alone! - Mad Maxy
Long journey to see one car? Could be a big wasted trip. But if it's at a Toyota dealer it's unlikely to be rubbish, especially being so new.
My wife is car hunting alone! - yorkiebar
Agreed, but it could have features you don't like. Could have been owned by a smoker (a non smoker will always know), a dog owner (any non dog ownere will always know) . Could have wrong colour seats, trim, windscreen etc. Could have paint defects you can see and dont like (most cars have some defect) etc etc etc.

Always always look at a car before you even begin to negotiate a price. as a salesman I am very happy when people tell me what price they want to pay before they arrive. When they arrive they either like the car or they don't. If they like it I know they like the price so I don't move ! Easy !
My wife is car hunting alone! - Bill Payer
>>
Any other tips?

Stop wasting so much time and just buy a new one? (Or pay the price of a nearly new one in your local dealer).
If you're trying to save £500-£1000 is it really worth the hassle?
My wife is car hunting alone! - madf
"If you're trying to save £500-£1000 is it really worth the hassle?"

I find by being determined and enjoying a little hassle - (that's what I give to sellers, NOT what I get when it's MY money I'm spending) - I save £1000s over the year buying anything from cars to food to clothes.

Bill Payer has too much money:-)))
madf
BP - you sound like a car salesmans dream. Can't be bothered with any negotiation just walk in there and pay what's asked of you, even if what's asked is way over the top - no wonder outfits such as Carcraft keep selling cars.

Even if my wife was buying new she'd would still negotiate.

In one phone call the price has already been dropped by £500 - hardly hassle.
BP - you sound like a car salesmans dream. Can't
be bothered with any negotiation just walk in there and pay
what's asked of you, even if what's asked is way over
the top - no wonder outfits such as Carcraft keep selling
cars.

Now I never said that! I've been taken by the arm and led to the door in a dealership in the past!

I recently helped my daughter buy a new car. She started off wanting to spend a couple of £K on a secondhand something, but of course all the hassle of finding and looking after such a car would fall to me. I also wanted her to have a car with ABS, airbags etc etc.

So we settled on a car (Seat Ibiza 1.2S as it happens). I checked the internet, called a few places etc etc then went to our local dealer, reduced the salesman to tears of frustration and did the deal. He wasn't there next time I called and I learned later he'd been sacked - maybe the deal I got really was very good!
In one phone call the price has already been dropped by
£500 - hardly hassle.

The story you wrote above is hardly 'one phone call'.
My wife is car hunting alone! - T Lucas
You should be able to get a new 5 door 107 from a Peugeot dealer for under £7000 with A/C without too much persuasion,beats buying used everytime.
My wife is car hunting alone! - Falkirk Bairn
Try a broker - they know of what is available and get discounts (or bigger discounts) than the man in the street
My wife is car hunting alone! - Pugugly {P}
Toyota Aygo 1.0 VVT-i + 5dr £6880 save £599
@ Drive the Deal See HJ's news pages.
Missed the aircon - done a drive the deal quote and it was £7300.
Done the visit and walked away. Worst salesman I've ever come across in terms of trying to secure a deal. When his book shows forecourt price for a 2006 model should be around 6600 with up to 15000 miles and he won't drop the price to take into account high mileage, the condition of the tyres (2mm all round) and brake pads there's no point hanging around.
Done the visit and walked away.

If you can really get a brand-new version of the same car for £7300 via DtD (and presumeably others - try Pat Lawless at Carfile) then I'm baffled as to why you're putting yourself through this?
My wife is car hunting alone! - Dalglish
I'm baffled as to why you're putting yourself through this? ..

i would have given them a miss as soon as i saw their initial price quoted so precisely (i.e. two pounds above the usual trick of quoting one pound under the rounded figure):
" Car One 12 months old 23,000 miles £6791 ? 30 miles away "

My wife is car hunting alone! - Happy Blue!
I'm confused bby the stance you are taking. You have admitted that there are few cars around that precisely meet your requirements. You found two at wildly different mileages and choose the higher mileage one despite the difference in price being a couple of hundred quid? They you make it difficult for yourself..

I bought my Outback sight unseen (it was 200 miles away) from a Subaru dealer. It met my requirements and I asked some simple questions such as: -

What is the precise mileage now?
What's it service history?
Is is very clean and tidy or in average condition for its age and mileage?
It is a smokers car?
Are there any added features that are not standard or factory fit options?

I then agreed a price and paid the money. It was agreed that when i saw the car (we met halfway) I could walk away from the deal if the car was not as described and take a full refund

I saw the car, was delighted with it and drive home.

How dangerous can it be to buy a year old 5,500 mile Toyota for god's sake? Some people have too much time.
Quick update. We have just taken delivery of a new one sourced through drivethedeal, who provided an excellent service. One phone call from them a couple of days after the order then all dealings have been done through the dealer.

Only issue with drivethedeal is depending on what you order and drivethedeal's contacts the dealer handling it may not local. Ours is from Ipswich - 200 miles fom home!

The car was only £300 more than the cars in my initial posts - well worth it for a full three year warranty, a year RAC cover and no miles on the clock.
My wife is car hunting alone! - Stuartli
So the advice you were given to buy new was absolutely bang on...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
My wife is car hunting alone! - oilrag
"So the advice you were given to buy new was absolutely bang on...:-)"

I was going to advise buying new too, but got here too late.
IMHO No way is such a minor saving worth risking the harm potentially done by a hamfisted driver or picking up a +problem car+

My wife is car hunting alone! - Vansboy
These are low priced cars to start with, so it's dificult to expect there to be a great discount, 'cos the dealer didn't have the margin to start with.

As you've already found a couple which were pre-reg/demonstrators of some kind - possibly only registered to reach targets, it's not like the dealer has stuffed himself with a heavy investment $£$£$.

While I like to save a penny where I can, you'd be better off having NEW - that's new registration, new tax disc, new fuel in the tank, new bottoms on seats (yours) new warranty....

All for not much more than you'd earn filling the shelves in Tesco, with the time & effort & fuel your using!!

VB